Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Cars For Sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: A special 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter View Post
It's not a custom tranny. It's a stock 4:11 from an RS. They are pretty stout.

What fender damage? Other than perhaps dings, there is no fender damage.
On the driver's side front fender there appear to be couple of very large "dings".

On the tranny, you said "Exedy organic clutch and a Fidanza billet aluminum lightweight flywheel". I'm not an expert so I don't know what components would be the weakest link. If it is the gears versus the clutch, for example, does anyone know what these gears can handle?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

As I noted in the Ebay ad, there is a crease in the drivers door, and I will include a spare good door if desired. I dont have a better picture available.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 PM

OK, so I looked harder at the door. The truth is that I am overstating it by calling it a crease. It is a small scrape/ ding about 1/2" x 4" long along the edge of the driver's door.

Not sure what you are seeing beyond that, but there is no other damage to that door. You must be seeing reflections in the photo.

I am going to try to post video on the Ebay ad in the morning.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 09-16-2011, 06:31 PM

Registered SVX

what HP did the RS have ? and then about 50% more . I would not DRAG race it .
Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

This is kind of off-topic, but well has the lightweight flywheel worked out? Any issues from it? The 4-cyl guys seem to have some trouble with false knock sensor readings, etc. There aren't a lot of SVXes with lightweight flywheels, so I figured I'd ask now while I have the chance.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
On the driver's side front fender there appear to be couple of very large "dings".

On the tranny, you said "Exedy organic clutch and a Fidanza billet aluminum lightweight flywheel". I'm not an expert so I don't know what components would be the weakest link. If it is the gears versus the clutch, for example, does anyone know what these gears can handle?
Wait a minute- this question seems to be switching back and forth between door and fender. Sorry if I answered the wrong question.

There is a scrape forward of the wheelwell on the driver's fender. It's about 6" long, and most of it is actually a paint scuff. At the rear end of this scuff it becomes a ding- about 2" long and 1/4" deep. There is also a ding behind the wheelwell about 2" in dia. Yes, I would definitely call them "dings". I've got a good fender I can include if it helps.

I will try to get you a couple of better pics in the morning. It's dark now.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
This is kind of off-topic, but well has the lightweight flywheel worked out? Any issues from it? The 4-cyl guys seem to have some trouble with false knock sensor readings, etc. There aren't a lot of SVXes with lightweight flywheels, so I figured I'd ask now while I have the chance.
It's a blast. No issues.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
what HP did the RS have ? and then about 50% more . I would not DRAG race it .
I don't think I suggested this car was a drag racer. I would not drag race a car with a full interior in street trim and no roll bar, but to each his own.

You are forgetting there is now a clutch. There's plenty of opportunity for user induced slip when accelerating.

The transmission shifts firmly and smoothly. It has NEVER had any issue whatsoever.

Come to think of it, maybe I would race a car like this.

No, this one has not been raced (though it has been hard street driven).

Old 09-16-2011, 06:51 PM

I just had it checked out by a mechanic. He said no issues- he tried to buy it from me (plus 2 other people while it sat there!)

He was surprised at how quick it was.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I'll back up the lightweight flywheel claim - my Pearly suffered no ill effects, the same.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:04 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Hmm. Might have to add that to the engine build list...

Thanks for the feedback
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 PM

I recommend it.

BIG difference in how it responds.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:52 PM

I added a couple of videos to the EBay ad. HuskyM, I'll get you some more detailed pics of that fender shortly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXITL...hannel&list=UL

Here's the direct links to the YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QvtM0j6038

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVDJdRcYPZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjAD3RiNz20

And this one I took for one last fun ride!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXITL...hannel&list=UL

Thanks guys!

Old 09-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Just to know, what spring rates did you choose?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:49 PM

I'm pretty sure they are 380# front and 350# rear.

Jason Porter helped me spec them, but I am a little confused. We built these struts for the SVreX originally which went over budget for the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge. I swapped them on the SVreX for a more budget friendly version, which was a slightly different spring rate. At the same time, Jason was developing his recommendations for the Koni/ GC's, and changed his recommended rate for a slightly different rate (which ended up on the Rex).

These were his original spec (which I think was the 380/ 350).