SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
Just to clear something up, when I said I was going 125ish, I mean KPH, not MPH. So I was probably going a grand 75 mph or so. My car can't go 125 mph.
Thanks for clearing that up. I read that and was like "dammmnnn!!" and people were passing you? I was taking "Crazy_pilot" as a land based vehicle term.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
hahaha, even my non land based vehicle can't go 125 mph. Factory says the wings come off at 98 mph. Of course, the thing's a tank, so I'm certain I could push it much faster....

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Houston's morning traffic is crazy, I drove over there about a year ago for vacation and just happened to hit the morning rush hour. Had to drive 80mph in the far right lane to not cause an accident and I was getting passed by little old ladies in Towncars like nothing.

Not condoning the kids actions as I'm glad he got fined, but if he can drive that fast and not put another persons life in jeopardy, good for him. If it had been stated that there was indeed other motorists, I would say he should loose his license. Im only 19 and im glad my first car is a BRILLIANT RED SVX, the first thing I did with it when I got it was find a big abandoned parking lot and procede to test the cars limits. I've gotten plenty of tickets with it, but I've learned from my mistakes and have paid for everyone of them with my own money. The only accident I've ever been in was when a lady tapped my rear bumper infront of the police department, and I've had planety of people do stupid things right infront of me, I'm very glad my car has the ABS system. With all the experience that comes from driving over many years, theres no such thing as a good driver, only lucky/unlucky people behind steering wheels.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 12-16-2006, 08:24 PM

Registered SVX
I have had my car over 130 MPH, once, just to see if she could. It was for a split second, in broad daylight, with very light traffic on a road I knew well. Had I been caught by the State Troopers, they would have had no way of knowing if I did this regularly or not. I would hope they would let me off with a warning because I have a clean record.

On the other hand, I was only driving 65 MPH (in a 70 MPH zone) when a deer ran into the road and I could not avoid it without hitting a guardrail. As was previously noted, one cannot predict what is ahead.

In spite of what Tom says, I generally average between 15 and 20 miles over the speed limit ONLY on an Interstate highway and ONLY if I have a long trip to make. The 30 seconds or 2 minutes I might save speeding to work or the like is just not that important. If I'm driving 180 miles back home to Pittsburgh, I can shave 15-30 minutes off my trip by speeding when and where I believe it is safe. If I am wrong someday, the extra 1/2 or 3/4 a second response time (assuming I can see 15 car-lengths ahead of me) probably won't make a difference, if the unexpected does arise.

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 12-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
[QUOTE=green_eyed_lady]I have had my car over 130 MPH, once, just to see if she could. It was for a split second, in broad daylight, with very light traffic on a road I knew well. Had I been caught by the State Troopers, they would have had no way of knowing if I did this regularly or not. I would hope they would let me off with a warning because I have a clean record.

On the other hand, I was only driving 65 MPH (in a 70 MPH zone) when a deer ran into the road and I could not avoid it without hitting a guardrail. As was previously noted, one cannot predict what is ahead.

In spite of what Tom says, I generally average between 15 and 20 miles over the speed limit ONLY on an Interstate highway and ONLY if I have a long trip to make. The 30 seconds or 2 minutes I might save speeding to work or the like is just not that important. If I'm driving 180 miles back home to Pittsburgh, I can shave 15-30 minutes off my trip by speeding when and where I believe it is safe. If I am wrong someday, the extra 1/2 or 3/4 a second response time (assuming I can see 15 car-lengths ahead of me) probably won't make a difference, if the unexpected does arise.[/
QUOTE]

Whats that you say??? I cannot hear you because of your pedal hitting the floor so hard!!!

Tom
Old 12-17-2006, 11:43 PM

something new

I use to drive fast most of the time on the mainland if the road was clear. I've driven my SVX on cruise control at 125mph at night on the intersate between amarillo and Dallas. I've never hurt anyone,I never will, and I've never gotten a ticket I couldnt get out of.
I'm a 23 year old student; use to be in great shape, great health.
On Halloween I was driving home from work in a tank ford taurus(loaner), I stopped at a cross walk to let a women cross. Then baam. A drunk driver in an old Cherokee smashed into the back of me. I got severe whiplash. It knocked me out. There is problems with my discs now. I have a headache all the time. I can't drive on the same road I got hit on. I had to drop all my class's. I can rarely work. I can't lift 10 pounds.Even if I try to go running my neck hurts severely the next day.I have to go to appointments 7x a week.
I just thank god that woman was far enough thru the crosswalk, or she would have been killed by the car I was in.
Earlier this year my friend Lisa was cycling and was hit by a drunk driver. She almost died. She has titanium rods in her back now. She had a collapsed lung, broken back, and broken collar bone. Also the driver had no insurance.
Many of you think this kid should have his license taken away for years. The guy that hit me will probaly have his license back next month sometime.

I'm not sure how the cruiser caught up with the indiana kid, unless he was only going 142mph for a short time. And i'm not sure why a cruiser would pursue someone going that fast. 2 cars going that speed is obviously 2x as dangerous. I can only hope this kid getting pulled over will help prevent someone from getting hurt in the future. But most likely he'll just speed up the next time he see's a cop, and the cruiser will do the same.
It seems like everyone has so much time to bicker about some kid speeding. Maybe we should spend our time doing something about drivers that actually hurt people. Would anybody be interested in signing a petition for stricter punishments for drivers that injure of kill people? I could write it or possibly start an organization; I dont have much else I can do. Any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
If someone is driving drunk and causes an accident that kills someone, as far as I'm concerned that amounts to murder, and should be dealt with the same way.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
If someone is driving drunk and causes an accident that kills someone, as far as I'm concerned that amounts to murder, and should be dealt with the same way.
Can't say I disagree except that it reality its a double standard. There's no difference between someone who's drunk and kills someone or someone who's on a cell phone and kills someone or someone who's going 2 miles an hour over the speed limit and kills someone. When was the last time someone was sent to jail for causing an accident when they were speeding? They're no less responsible but there isn't a huge lobbiest organization pushing the issue.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Just because I love playing devil's advocate...

What about someone who is physically or mentally incapable of driving due to old age, and hits someone and kills them? Should they be dealt with as if they were a murderer?

What about someone who is completely physically and mentally capable of driving, but is legally not licensed to operate a motor vehicle, they get hit at no fault of their own by someone who is licensed. Should the unlicensed driver be held responsible for the death of the driver that is licensed, even if the wreck was clearly the, now dead, licensed drivers fault?

And one more for you. What if said driver was 20 years old, and has a BAC of .05 (over the legal limit of .00 for minors, but below the limit of .08 for people possibly just days or weeks older). Should this person be charged for murder if they were to get into a crash and cause someone to die? They are technically "DUI" but not neccesarily "DWI". At fault or not?

There are quite a number of moral questions that come into play when considering the large responsibility we all have behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. Stiffer penalties which may or may not be part of a solution to the lack of personal responsibility most of our society seems to show.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Ok... Lets put it this way. How many F1 races have you seen with accidents and how many F1 races made it through without 1 solitary car losing control?

It's logic. It's physics. No one drives safely at 140 plus mph. No one. They may get lucky, but that luck runs out with the odds. And every single Nascar, or F1 race proves that every single time. We could go with well, only one or two loses control at a Nascar, but how many cars do they usually take with them?
First, let's take racing out of the mix. Racing is competitive and therefor MUCH more likely to end in crashes. Lets just go with open tracking. How many driver errors are cause for wrecks in practice laps for F1 races? How many experienced drivers crash thier cars at HPDEs?

Driving at speed on a track is not a time bomb for death and destruction. Yes, people make do mistakes, people lose control of their vehicles at time, however if that is not the norm. I've seen people have less control of their vehicles and be less "safe" in my opinion going under the speed limit on a public road than I believe I am going 150mph down a straightaway on a road course. If the statistics were as poor as you seem to think, nobody would be willing to take their cars, or themselves out onto a race track, as they would almost surely die.

And I'm still waiting for you to define what "safe" is.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Last edited by drivemusicnow; 12-18-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohanjv
I use to drive fast most of the time on the mainland if the road was clear. I've driven my SVX on cruise control at 125mph at night on the intersate between amarillo and Dallas. I've never hurt anyone,I never will, and I've never gotten a ticket I couldnt get out of.
I'm a 23 year old student; use to be in great shape, great health.
On Halloween I was driving home from work in a tank ford taurus(loaner), I stopped at a cross walk to let a women cross. Then baam. A drunk driver in an old Cherokee smashed into the back of me. I got severe whiplash. It knocked me out. There is problems with my discs now. I have a headache all the time. I can't drive on the same road I got hit on. I had to drop all my class's. I can rarely work. I can't lift 10 pounds.Even if I try to go running my neck hurts severely the next day.I have to go to appointments 7x a week.
I just thank god that woman was far enough thru the crosswalk, or she would have been killed by the car I was in.
Earlier this year my friend Lisa was cycling and was hit by a drunk driver. She almost died. She has titanium rods in her back now. She had a collapsed lung, broken back, and broken collar bone. Also the driver had no insurance.
Many of you think this kid should have his license taken away for years. The guy that hit me will probaly have his license back next month sometime.

I'm not sure how the cruiser caught up with the indiana kid, unless he was only going 142mph for a short time. And i'm not sure why a cruiser would pursue someone going that fast. 2 cars going that speed is obviously 2x as dangerous. I can only hope this kid getting pulled over will help prevent someone from getting hurt in the future. But most likely he'll just speed up the next time he see's a cop, and the cruiser will do the same.
It seems like everyone has so much time to bicker about some kid speeding. Maybe we should spend our time doing something about drivers that actually hurt people. Would anybody be interested in signing a petition for stricter punishments for drivers that injure of kill people? I could write it or possibly start an organization; I dont have much else I can do. Any thoughts?
While I feel there's merit in what you want to accomplish, I think you're trying to use a mallet to do a job where a chisel would be more effective.

You mentioned that your current injuries/state of constant pain was caused by a drunk driver who slammed into the back of your car. You also said that your friend Lisa was almost killed by a drunk driver. Stiffening laws/punishments for drunk driving offesnses is one thing, but trying to stiffen punishments for all people who might injure or kill a pedestrian with a vehicle is another.

As an example, what if a mother is driving down a busy street when a bee flies into her car through an open window and lands on her young child. Her child is deathly allergic to bee stings and starts to scream, which causes the mother to take her eyes off the road for a couple seconds. A pedestrian steps out onto the road at an 'undesignated' crossing area and gets struck by her vehicle and is paralyzed for life. Would you want to send this mother to jail for what happened? Yes, she was negligent as a driver at the time, but her motherly instincts caused her attention to taken off the road briefly.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Infamous Impreza is now up for sale...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...61413246QQrdZ1

The punk kid is trying to profit from this situation...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-18-2006, 06:14 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd

Its been taken down already.....

OK, its not!

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black

Last edited by GOT2HAVESVX; 12-18-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Just because I love playing devil's advocate...

What about someone who is physically or mentally incapable of driving due to old age, and hits someone and kills them? Should they be dealt with as if they were a murderer?
If they're physically or mentally incapable, then THEY SHOULDN'T BE DRIVING.

Unfortunately rarely do they do anything about the old people who shouldn't be on the road. One of my neighbors is approximately 75, and just about legally blind due to cataracts. He currently has a suspended license, and his car has been in at least 3 hit and run accidents. He can often be found driving on the wrong side of the street. A social worker came to check up on him and decided the best way to get him to stop driving would be to deflate his tire. Instead the guy drove around for about 3 weeks with a flat. If he hit and killed someone, they'd probably put him back on the road within a month so he could hit someone else.

I firmly believe that there should be a driving test at 60, 65, 70, and yearly after that.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-18-2006, 10:53 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd

I won't pass judgement on anyone from here, but from what I've seen at school, and from what I've heard on the news, and now after this, it's official, Americans have absolutely no clue how to raise a child.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300