Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Ice's fully-baked turbo build

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
In post #70 I talked about some places to put an oil temp or pressure sensor. Here's another idea for a temp sensor location if one of those I mentioned doesn't work: http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/ind...sorAdapter.htm

Just thought it was interesting and wanted to post it.
That's pretty cool, makes it easy.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
That's pretty cool, makes it easy.
Yea, but every time you have to change the oil you'd have to unplug the sensor. And the wires for the sensor would be really low to the ground = easily snagged on a tree branch or whatever in the road. I'd call it a good plan C.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yea, but every time you have to change the oil you'd have to unplug the sensor. And the wires for the sensor would be really low to the ground = easily snagged on a tree branch or whatever in the road. I'd call it a good plan C.
Yeah, good point, you'd probably have to use the belly pan.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-28-2013, 02:36 PM

y no updates. Also, have you thought about an HX35x turbo off a cummins diesel? They're comperable to a GT30ish turbo + they're twin scroll. Always on ebay for less than 400$ from people upgrading off the stock turbos on commuter trucks.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
y no updates. Also, have you thought about an HX35x turbo off a cummins diesel? They're comperable to a GT30ish turbo + they're twin scroll. Always on ebay for less than 400$ from people upgrading off the stock turbos on commuter trucks.
The only problem I would think would come from the HX35 is the rpm range. diesels dont generally have more then 4500 rpm or so.
I dont recall what the high rpm is for the cummins, though.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM

4k is prety much the upper limit. But, consider the displacement of that engine, it's probably 5liters. So, 4500rpm on that engine and it's pushing more air than the eg33 will ever use without being built from diamond. Even the HX30 seems to be a popular choice over on nastycawk
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
No updates because I'm doing work on a house I bought, so once I'm moved in I can hit my car projects hard and get stuff done quickly, since I'll have a nice, comfy garage to work in instead of my parents' driveway.

I am actually back to thinking twin turbo is the way to go. Piping may actually be much easier than I thought. Two WRX TD04s ought to do the job pretty well I think.

I didn't look at compressor maps for the TD04 or the HX35x yet (kinda busy tonight), but if you're looking at compressor maps, the pressure ratio and airflow rate I'm looking for are ~1.7 and ~587 cfm. (Half the airflow rate for twin turbos, but leave the pressure ratio the same).

A quick Google of "HX35x compressor map" leads me to believe that it would be way too big for my setup.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
+1
My friend and I are looking to putting some of these Holsets on our cars since they're plentiful, cheap, and comparable GT30s/35s.
Looking at compressor maps, it would boost all the way to redline on the EG33 for most boost levels.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
+1
My friend and I are looking to putting some of these Holsets on our cars since they're plentiful, cheap, and comparable GT30s/35s.
Looking at compressor maps, it would boost all the way to redline on the EG33 for most boost levels.
How much boost are you planning on running? Planning on using a stock motor or building one?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 PM

there is a holset hx30 turbo which is slightly smaller.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
there is a holset hx30 turbo which is slightly smaller.
If it's comparable to a GT30, then I think it would probably be very close. Honestly, there are a lot of very good options out there right now. The turbo market kind of exploded in the last few years. The real problem on my mind lately is how best to run the piping around the engine bay. Well that and how to get a 230V outlet in my garage to plug a welder in.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
How much boost are you planning on running? Planning on using a stock motor or building one?
Stock on about 6-9ish (keep in mind I'm 6000 ft up), then later on build to about 12-15 to reach my 300 whp goal.
Both the GT3076 and either the HX28 or HX30 have a very similar compressor map, so I can use the most of the turbo's maximum efficiency at both boost levels.

This is still a ways down the road though. I still need to swap in my 5 speed and order some AMR coilovers first.

Quote:
The real problem on my mind lately is how best to run the piping around the engine bay. Well that and how to get a 230V outlet in my garage to plug a welder in.
Yep, I'm still trying to blueprint the piping. Even trying to figure out if it's possible to pipe twin turbos (either parallel or sequentially).
Also, here in CO the breaker boxes are in garages, so my friend just had a 230V outlet wired in for his welder just below the breaker box when he had it replaced.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)

Last edited by EdWindows; 04-29-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 AM

Registered SVX

This guy added a turbo to his a( I think it is a Mazda )
[IMG][/IMG]
Really hard to tell what it was...
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Z32 300ZX. Many were twin-turbo from the factory.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 AM

Registered SVX

The idea I've been kicking around most lately is to put a turbo in each bumper corner, then run the intercooler piping like the 300zx above, so that each pipe from the intercooler leads to one throttle body. Or possibly a box behind the TBs so the pressure will be equal on each side. Still need to have a look under the car to see how the exhaust piping would have to be.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind, I'll not have a battery, coolant tank, windshield washer tank, airbox, ABS pump, A/C system, charcoal canister, or fuse box in the engine bay to deal with. :P So that opens up a lot of options. Also, the megasquirt is speed-density so no need for a MAF. I also have a secret project I'm working on that would render the power steering lines unnecessary. I also have a stevesby fiberglass front bumper, with the wider mouth to put intercoolers behind.

Another idea would be to have the two turbos in the corners of the bumper, but run the charge pipes straight up to air-to-water intercoolers on each side of the engine, behind the headlights, then to the TBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
Also, here in CO the breaker boxes are in garages, so my friend just had a 230V outlet wired in for his welder just below the breaker box when he had it replaced.
Oh, that's perfect! I'll check it out.