IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Coolant system woes

My ongoing issues with the coolant system continue. It's scattered among old threads in here but I thought I'd start fresh here up to date and maybe get some fresh ideas. I know this is long but I want to provide details....

September 2008 the car started randomly overheating and slowly losing coolant over time, etc. In the end it was diagnosed as a headgasket failure.

Was actually able to drive the car 20 miles to work and back and baby it for another month until Young Tom made his cross country road trip. He resealed the entire engine, including headgasket, and added newly machined heads. He also dropped in a new PWR radiator and radiator hoses I had sitting around. November 2008.

November 2008 the car was fine for about a week and then seemed to be leaking coolant again. I dropped it off at a shop to get an alignment. When the shop drove the car in, something exploded under the hood and dumped a gallon of coolant on their floor. They found a punctured hose up under the intake manifold and repaired everything for me.

All winter the car ran fine and coolant levels stayed at the top. But I continued to smell coolant in the car, especially when the heater was on, and even out the exhaust after a drive. At one point took it into a shop with the idea that it might be the heater core, but they tested and inspected everything they could within an hour's labor and didn't find problems.

June 2009 After I left for work my wife noticed a small puddle of coolant in the garage. I checked and the levels were fine. I cleaned it up and there never was another puddle, levels never dropped.

July 2009 Came home from work, car had been running fine. Came out into the garage 2 hours later and a huge puddle (gallon) of coolant spreading out through the garage! Found a tiny hole in one of the hoses from the waterpump (pump new in Nov, assuming old hose though it wasn't stiff or anything). Replaced with Napa hose, made a note to order other waterpump hose before it happens again.

Yesterday Wife called and said there was another tiny puddle in the garage. Checked levels, fine (puddle is tiny). Parked back in there, no puddle this morning. WTF?

And the antifreeze smell still comes up once in a while through the vents and out the exhaust. You go out in the garage after I come home and it smells like antifreeze out there.

Did the headgasket failure just permeate something deep inside the car with the smell? Or is there something still seriously wrong? But I'm not losing coolant.......... except for random small leaks. And how many more hoses do I need to replace before no more will sudden fail in a big way? I got to be getting close, right? Weird these hoses are failing though in the way they do - pinhole right in the middle, and the rubber isn't very stiff (Tom showed me some stiff brittle hoses that he replaced).

It's all very weird!

Any thoughts or ideas. I appreciate anyone that read this far, I hope the detail is appreciated.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...