SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
I've never driven an '05 LGT, but I've ridden in a modded one. I'm NOT going off of what magazine reviewers say, I'm going off of what owners have told me. The '06 WRX is just a better handling car than a base Legacy GT. This is also why I'm passing on getting an '05 FXT (suspension is even softer).

After this Saturday, I will have driven a WRX TR and an RX-8. If the new Subaru's are as a great as people say, then I'm sure the WRX TR will shine!

-Chike
damn, you haven't even DRIVEN the TR? your wife is the wise one.

with just new tires, springs, and a rear swaybar, the LGT outclasses the STi. the tires are the big handling-killers.

when you bought your house, did you go inside it before you signed the papers?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
damn, you haven't even DRIVEN the TR? your wife is the wise one.

with just new tires, springs, and a rear swaybar, the LGT outclasses the STi. the tires are the big handling-killers.

Dude. I haven't put a deposit down on a TR yet? I was planning on test driving this weekend and buying on the 28th.

With those mods the Legacy GT will be a great handler, but in the SCCA stock classes I can't touch the rear sway bar, springs/shocks, etc. I'm simply comparing stock vs stock here based on what owners of the cars have told me on subaruforester.com, nasioc, clubwrx.net, etc.

Stock for stock, the Legacy GT is a better handler than an FXT. Stock for stock, the WRX is a better handler than the Legacy GT. Stock for stock the STI is a better handler than the WRX.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-09-2006, 12:22 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Thank God Subaru did away with the RE-92's on the legacy....we got different tires thankfully

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 01-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Dude. I haven't put a deposit down on a TR yet?
Dude - the first post of this thread says "I'm picking up a brand new '06 WRX TR." sounds like a done deal to me.

Quote:
Stock for stock, the Legacy GT is a better handler than an FXT. Stock for stock, the WRX is a better handler than the Legacy GT. Stock for stock the STI is a better handler than the WRX.
so stock STi's will be beating you. why not get an STi? ahhh, stock Lotus Elises will be beating those! where does it end?!?!?!?

isn't Auto-X racing against your own times?

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-09-2006, 12:56 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:

Lookey here Sarah, it's got INDOOR PLUMIN!!!

Sorry, Sarah, sorry Chi ke, Bob
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-09-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Dude - the first post of this thread says "I'm picking up a brand new '06 WRX TR." sounds like a done deal to me.
Uhh no. This is a WRX TR purchasing thread. It's supposed to detail the buying process of a new Subaru WRX. I outlined from the very 1st post that I was doing a test drive on 1/14 and purchasing at the end of the month...
Quote:
so stock STi's will be beating you. why not get an STi? ahhh, stock Lotus Elises will be beating those! where does it end?!?!?!?

isn't Auto-X racing against your own times?
I would consider an STI if a new one cost 23-24K!

Nope. AutoX is against all competitor's in your class. e.g. SVX is in G-stock (competes with the Mini Cooper S), WRX is in D-stock (competes with the MazdaSpeed Protege), RX-8 is in B stock (competes with the 350Z).

-Chike

P.S. I just heard back from the Mazda dealer and got an official quote on an '05 RX-8 6MT - $22,935 + tax, tag & title. For comparison, quote on the WRX TR w/ spoiler and boost gauge is $23,500 + $249 processing fee + tax, tag & title. I'm not pinching pennies on this purchase, so I see the price between the two cars as a wash.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Lookey here Sarah, it's got INDOOR PLUMIN!!!

Sorry, Sarah, sorry Chi ke, Bob
Ha ha ha!

Thanks again for your help Tom. Let me know about that engine swap. I'd love to pitch in...

-Chike

Old 01-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
alan was talking about teh wife and my mind's in teh gutter and i was tempted to fix his post, but decided against it at the last moment.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 01-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Certified Porschephile

I'd take the 350Z over the RX-8 pos. If you like the Rex, go with that. I assume, maybe badly, but is the Rex lighter then the LGT?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
I'd take the 350Z over the RX-8 pos. If you like the Rex, go with that. I assume, maybe badly, but is the Rex lighter then the LGT?
The WRX weighs in at 3190lbs while the LGT is about 150+lbs heavier.

I think the RX-8 is far from a POS considering how well it does in SCCA B-Stock. I'm actually surprised by your response as you're a porsche lover and the RX-8 has such a pure interation between the driver and the road which most porsche owners admire about the car. I'm not a street racer, and I'm spending more time at the autox circuit than the dragstrip.

Here's a video from Top Gear that Power_on_Demand sent me:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...831&q=top+gear

That about sums everything up about the RX-8...

Anyway, my test drives are all confirmed on Saturday. WRX at 10:00am, and the RX-8 at 11:30am. I'm going to see how the WRX stacks up against another car in it's price point.

-Chike

Old 01-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Certified Porschephile

My fatal flaw is I'm fairly stubborn in my bias'. I rode in a RX-7 and a RX-8, and was not impressed at all. There is no way I would chose one of them over a P-car. The 350Z gets some heat over the plastic interior, but the 3.5L VQ V-6 sounds like a muscle car minus 2 cylinders. It can be set to develop truck loads of torque, where as the 2.6L rotorary is way to sensitive and high strung. I drove a 928 S4, Alan's obsession, and I have never gone from 80-100 that fast in my life. It beat the SL600 and the 68 Charger 440 my buddy had growing up. The Honda S2000 is a nice car, but you have to rev the hell out of it, especially on a hilly road course. I can't wait to feel this 951 I'm hoping to get come on full boost. He said it dyno's at 250hp and over 275tq at the wheels.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
My fatal flaw is I'm fairly stubborn in my bias'. I rode in a RX-7 and a RX-8, and was not impressed at all. There is no way I would chose one of them over a P-car. The 350Z gets some heat over the plastic interior, but the 3.5L VQ V-6 sounds like a muscle car minus 2 cylinders. It can be set to develop truck loads of torque, where as the 2.6L rotorary is way to sensitive and high strung. I drove a 928 S4, Alan's obsession, and I have never gone from 80-100 that fast in my life. It beat the SL600 and the 68 Charger 440 my buddy had growing up. The Honda S2000 is a nice car, but you have to rev the hell out of it, especially on a hilly road course. I can't wait to feel this 951 I'm hoping to get come on full boost. He said it dyno's at 250hp and over 275tq at the wheels.
I understand what you're saying Dan, but I want to be an informed consumer. I could sit here and spout off stats about each car, but at the end of the day, it'll come down to which car is best for my needs.

Both are great performance cars with 4 doors and are less than $1,000 apart in price. I love Subarus, but I try to keep an open mind.

-Chike

Old 01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Certified Porschephile

I wasn't bashing the WRX vs LGT, I wasn't even telling you to bypass the Evo, as that has 4 doors. The 350 doesn't and the RX-8 probably won't fit your needs. I think a nice Audi S6 would make you smile, but I'm sure you don't have $50k in disposable income currently. I'm sure if price was no object in the 4 door catagory, a Maserati Quattroportte, a Mercedes CLS 55 AMG, new Porsche Panamera, or a nice BMW M5 would tickle you just right. But for under $30k, I think Suby has two real nice options. Three if you can inch up to the STi.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I wasn't bashing the WRX vs LGT, I wasn't even telling you to bypass the Evo, as that has 4 doors. The 350 doesn't and the RX-8 probably won't fit your needs. I think a nice Audi S6 would make you smile, but I'm sure you don't have $50k in disposable income currently. I'm sure if price was no object in the 4 door catagory, a Maserati Quattroportte, a Mercedes CLS 55 AMG, new Porsche Panamera, or a nice BMW M5 would tickle you just right. But for under $30k, I think Suby has two real nice options. Three if you can inch up to the STi.
My price range is up to 24K - no more. And I'm only looking at new cars. The Cooper S would fit into this slot, but is much too small for my needs. The SRT-4 would also fall into this price point, but isn't my cup o' tea!

The RX-8 outhandles all cars in it's price point by wide margin! The room isn't an issue as I've sat in one at a Mazda event. After this Saturday I'll see how it drives. With PCM updates Mazda has come out with for the car, owners are starting to get close to 30mpg on the highway and the oil burn issues are not as severe. Turbo cars by nature can also tend to burn oil.

I hear what you're saying, but my wife is right on this one. Open up my mind and compare my beloved WRX to something else in the same price point. If I come away saying WRX all the way, then case closed - the Subaru is for me. If not, then Mazda offers a better product for me and my family at this pricepoint.

-Chike

Old 01-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Certified Porschephile

I would go Mazdaspeed 6 over a RX-8 anyday. The Volvo you liked was nice, but not much intrest to me. How about a Saab 9-3 Aero or if you didn't mind used, the barnstorming 9-3 Viggen. Just throwing out options. I agree, the Rex is a great choice. But I wouldn't buy a RX-8. Shame there is no 350Z sedan. Oh wait, the G35 can be had for under 28k new. 20k coming off lease.