Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 AM
The Molinator

Re: Fifteen minute, $15.00 rear suspension mod.

Would this MOD be appropriate for my SVX if I already have poly swaybar bushings.. ??

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Yes, however the price went up slightly in the last six years.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-09-2011, 11:01 AM
The Molinator

I thot I'd ask before installing.. . BUT, I bot for $8 each at Autozone last nite.. .

So, this crossmember supports the rear diff.. and allows some wobble.. or noise in drivetrain function.. . but doesn't actually affect the rear suspension directly.. . RiGhT?

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 12:30 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
I have had three sets on my Claret since I did my first set, to stiffen up the subframe to car mounts.
I could only feel the differance the first set makes.
When you say three sets.. Do you mean three different pairs you used.. in the same two mounts we're talking about here? I'm a little slow.. . Or do you mean installed somewhere else.. like above AND below rubber coated washers.. or subframe mounts.. ?? Sorry.. I'm Old... ReAlLy OLD!

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 PM
The Molinator

BTW... When I looked up this rear crossmember part in the OEM manual (under AWD System, SEC 2&3, 3-4, pg 9).. It appears the torque spec is about 39-48 ft-lbs. [If you were torqueing to 100+ ft-lbs.. . maybe that's why the same 3 threads were showing? .. Ha!] Does this nut bottom out.. metal to metal? I guess it'd have to.. or it'd come loose.

So, with this MOD, the added rubber (tire donuts) cushions take over.. for not only the up/down movement (rubber stoppers).. but also for the torsional movement.. normally controlled by the crossmember bushing that the threaded post passes thru.. right? [Because the cushions take up all up/down slack.. but also press so hard on the outer rim of the crossmember bushing.. the bushing rubber is no longer in play.] Hmmm?

Interesting.. .

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
BTW... When I looked up this rear crossmember part in the OEM manual (under AWD System, SEC 2&3, 3-4, pg 9).. It appears the torque spec is about 39-48 ft-lbs. [If you were torqueing to 100+ ft-lbs.. . maybe that's why the same 3 threads were showing? .. Ha!] Does this nut bottom out.. metal to metal? I guess it'd have to.. or it'd come loose.

So, with this MOD, the added rubber (tire donuts) cushions take over.. for not only the up/down movement (rubber stoppers).. but also for the torsional movement.. normally controlled by the crossmember bushing that the threaded post passes thru.. right? [Because the cushions take up all up/down slack.. but also press so hard on the outer rim of the crossmember bushing.. the bushing rubber is no longer in play.] Hmmm?

Interesting.. .

Thanks, Jim
Yes, all six subframe bolts.
The subframe is a VERY substantial structural member.
The body is also a very strong structrural member.
By bolting them together, THEY become stronger and flex less.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 05-12-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:43 PM
The Molinator

It seems their purpose is to give some flex, but mainly support to the suspension and drivetrain. So, this MOD just stiffens the flex up.. resulting in better driveability.. . THAT's WILD! (Johnny Carson)

COOL!

Seems like you could do it with the car on the ground.. or wud the crossmember drop when unbolted due to weight of rear diff.. ?

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM
There's a storm coming.

"I" could not wiggle under an SVX WITHOUT it at least being up on ramps.
If you do one side at at a time it does not drop too much.
I have no idea of what James Scott, or anyone else can/could be speaking of!
"This can't be happening, This cannot be happening!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 05-12-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
"I" could not wiggle under an SVX WITHOUT it at least being up on ramps.
If you do one side at at a time it does not drop too much.
I am speaking of the Official Fifteen Minute mod, not the top secret overkill that I did.(do)
PEES! .. Oh PLEEEZ! Tell us.. the ToP SeCrEt OvErKiLL MOD.. ???

[I bet its adding the cushions.. while driving! .. .

Oh NO! Now I know .. . It's the 6-cushion SpEcIaL! .. Huh!?

Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
PEES! .. Oh PLEEEZ! Tell us.. the ToP SeCrEt OvErKiLL MOD.. ???

[I bet its adding the cushions.. while driving! .. .

Oh NO! Now I know .. . It's the 6-cushion SpEcIaL! .. Huh!?

Jim
DUDE?!
What are you talkin about?!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 PM
The Molinator

Boy.. It really IS Top Secret!

[long day..]
Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 PM
The Molinator

OK! .. Got 15 Min MOD in place! Seems tighter stiffer suspension in rear. I like.

Just need the 15 Min FRONT SUSPENSION MOD now!

I guess it's the Motor Mounts and AT Mount.. as mentioned earlier.. .

Thanks for the idea SVXfiles et al!

Jim
Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
OK! .. Got 15 Min MOD in place! Seems tighter stiffer suspension in rear. I like.

Just need the 15 Min FRONT SUSPENSION MOD now!

I guess it's the Motor Mounts and AT Mount.. as mentioned earlier.. .

Thanks for the idea SVXfiles et al!

Jim
Go with the Poly front bushings on the front,
and rear, with the Twenty Minute Mod in back,
OR the Poly bushings in front and an upgraded REAR bar that comes with rear Polys!
Nevin has one now,
Dayle (Motorsports Warehouse) is going to come out with one.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 PM
The Molinator

What is the 20 Min Mod?
The 4 more rubber washers on the rear subframe?
I thot U said they dint make any noticeable difference.. ??

Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
What is the 20 Min Mod?
The 4 more rubber washers on the rear subframe?
I thot U said they dint make any noticeable difference.. ??

Thanks
The Twenty Minute Mod is a set of self lubricating bronze bushings/rubber inserts/bolts/self locking nuts that replace the soft spongey factory rear anti-sway bar to link bushings.

Just send me money!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link