SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
Put on my winter wheels/tires, and put some new headlights in. Did the 9005 to low-beams mod and put yellow fogs in. I also used that 3M headlight restore kit, the one that's used on a drill. I had enough to do my car and my in-law's.

You should buy something to protect the headlights. UV clear or clear vinyl.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I'm putting all my accessory belts, changing oil, radiator and coolant today and the SVX should be idling
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Bought new winter (WeatherTech) and summer (factory) floor matts for the Spec B, and picked up a new driveshaft for the SVX. Need to get that swapped in and then I'll have a properly driveable car again.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

i was looking at the weathertech mats but unless they changed recently i didnt see that they had any custom patterns for the SVX. what did you end up getting/pics?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:59 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Got my SVX running yesterday afternoon and was able to drive it off the ramps for the first time. Completed my year long project of:

new steering rack
idler pulleys
waterpump
thermostat
timing belt
all new vacuum lines
clean throttle body
spark plugs
new red top
new starter
new exhaust donuts
valve cover gaskets
drain and refill manual transmission gear oil
replace drivers side CV axle

Probably didn't need to pull the motor but it made it easier to do it in the comfort of my garage. It probably shouldn't have taken a year either but I traveled over 40k miles for work back and forth between the east coast and west coast. I'm also not the most mechanically inclined so had to research through the FSM and the manuals. I had forgotten to re-tighten the water pipe under the manifold so there were times I had to pull it all apart to re-tighten. At least I learned a lot

Everything is back in and running smoothly. Drove it off the ramps it's been sitting on. I popped a brake line in the rear a few months back and I'm going to investigate today if it's the hard line or a rubber line. Thanks to YT, OT and Nate for their guidance along the way.
2012 Camry V6 SE

Last edited by Tim; 11-23-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

congrats on the completed job. that has to be a good feeling.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:39 AM
My car's Italian, right?

It was! Now I'm debating between trying to see if I should tackle the line by myself or having it done. It's like it's so close I can taste it!

Below is the line on the left hand side. Looks like I should b able to do myeslf.

2012 Camry V6 SE

Last edited by Tim; 11-23-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Registered SVX

Quick head's up because I've done the look-see in person at Weathertech Canada outlet. I hoped for Floorliners like I have in the Outback.
WeatherTech did not introduce Subaru Floorliners until 2005 and didn't bother with the SVX pattern. They do make fitted Floormats for the SVX but they are much too small to protect the carpet edge areas.
Best to get some generic Pants-saver mats for winter. Same for summer unless you actually like carpet mats (not up in messy Canada for sure)
1994 Emerald Pearl LSi w 2006 WRX 5 spd manual.
1997 Laguna Blue LSi, 46k miles (73345 Kms). One owner 25 years, always garaged, pampered and 9/10 showroom condition. Possibly the last Canadian spec Laguna ordered #100134
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

I took my SVX for its first-ever (for me) longish drive, 135 miles round trip, including four-lane highways for the the first (for me) time. Wow, does this car have legs! It was just loafing along at highway speeds. And the acceleration from 3K RPM in 5th gear (I have a manual conversion from a WRX) feels just as quick as accelerating from 3K RPM in 3rd, which was very unexpected. I credit the slippery bodywork and low Cd for that, and for how quiet the car was at highway speed.

In some ways the SVX reminds me of my wife's long-gone Mercedes 300D sedan. The diesel felt sluggish at low speeds, and the steering was slow and lumbering on the tight, narrow back roads around here. But an on-ramp and some open road totally transformed the car. You could really tell it was built to cover large chunks of territory in the land of the autobahn.

I feel much the same way about the SVX. Compared with my STi and Honda Fit it feels a bit heavy and slow to react, and the steering isn't as quick; I'm not saying it's a bad car for those conditions, but it's not as engaging on the narrow twisties as my other two. Once the road opens up a bit more, the SVX's full character is revealed and it really shines. For me the SVX is a GT car, built to cover long distances rapidly, quietly, and competently. I was very pleased and very impressed. And I can't wait to do it again.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Registered SVX

Sounds great wdb.

I installed my quick shift the other day and it really feels an improvement, shifts were much tighter on the highway.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post

I feel much the same way about the SVX. Compared with my STi and Honda Fit it feels a bit heavy and slow to react, and the steering isn't as quick; I'm not saying it's a bad car for those conditions, but it's not as engaging on the narrow twisties as my other two. Once the road opens up a bit more, the SVX's full character is revealed and it really shines. For me the SVX is a GT car, built to cover long distances rapidly, quietly, and competently. I was very pleased and very impressed. And I can't wait to do it again.
100% agree with that. Horses for courses, the Svx was designed for the fast open roads, and long distance touring.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 PM

Registered SVX

I took my SVX to the ice track and burned up a half tank of fuel over the weekend. 4.44+killer winter tires and -25F temperatures means great hookup. I think I was suffering some front wheel lift coming out of corners though, that was bout the only time I had a wheel break traction unless I was WOT

waiting on new pads/rotors/cv axles for the front, contemplating getting coilovers not sure if I can justify that kind of money on a 200k mile chassis/engine.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 PM

Drove my SVX to work today, same as I do every day. It's such a pleasure.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:14 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

O2 sensor and window scratcher fix.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Transmission was opened to fix awd system, pain in the ass to find the part needed, took over 4 weeks. Spark plugs replaced (NGK), New valve cover gaskets and head gaskets, 2 new belts, New timing belt, new idlers, new hydraulic tensioner, New water pump and gasket. New thermostat and gasket. Cut out resonator (rattling was so annoying when idling) and now just straight piped. New K&N filter, Oil change to full synthetic 10W-30. All the above was done in the past 4 months. Now there seems to be a problem with the the power steering pump, it whines when the car starts and when the steering wheel is moved. Just 2 days ago it burped SF at girlfriends parents brand new driveway!! I'm currently in college so I need to find some spare time with Finals and Holidays coming up; NOT TO MENTION THE COST TOO!! . Hopefully can diagnose and have it fixed by 2013!
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker