Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2009, 03:17 AM
FLATT racing div.

Registered SVX
Re: Wheels that fit the SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I would still like to see these rims work. size, bolt pattern and offset are all fine.

Is this comment in regards to the gramlites or the OZ rim?

former:
1991 4wd XT6 5sp. (SUBDUED)
Old 10-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Registered SVX

RS Limited
18"
225/40/ZR18
Old 11-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Excuse the newb question but can I assume '05+ STI BBS wheels fit well? Can I see some pictures? i am about to buy a set.
Thanks!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM

Ok, not a wheel question...but a tire one. I posted this in tech Q&A but then saw this thread.

I'm looking at some used 225/60/H16 studded snow tires I found here in Maine. I know they are taller than stock...but will they fit? Would be nice to know before buying and installing and hearing them scrape out the wheelwells....;-)

Advice/comments appreciated!

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to all...

On land: 92 Ebony SVX, 188k
Old 12-02-2009, 03:25 PM

Just put on some '05 STI wheels on. Had to use different lug nuts but was straight forward otherwise.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Since late model mustang wheels fit the SVX...

I wonder what these new 2011 V6 *new and improved: Now with Duratech 3.7!* Mustang wheels will look like on the SVX...

New 18s

New V6 sport package 19s...

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Im hitting the local recycling yard today or friday, so could somebody give me a quick few options here? I need to know what cars likely to be in the wrecking yard have 16" rims that will fit the SVX, for my snow tires. I dont care about looks, I just need something I can fit my winter tires on so I can swap them back and forth quickly without having to mount and balance every time.

Will other subies work, maybe legacys or imprezas? Im not likely to find another SVX at pick n pull so if anyone can give me a few years + makes to find (that would be in a junkyard) id very much appreciate it. Thank guys.

I know the info is out there somewhere, but im at work and cant wade thru 600 posts to find the info I need.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

A lot of the 5-bolt Nissan and Honda rims will fit.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-08-2009, 01:27 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
A lot of the 5-bolt Nissan and Honda rims will fit.
Yes, check out Nissan Altima/Maxima rims, either any alloys (all are 16" or larger) or the 16" steelies are what I have on my car. Mine currently rub slightly on the edge of the tread when accelerating hard or over larger dips and bumps but my a$$ is saggy and the tire size is a larger diamater than stock. Can't remember the size exactly, but something like 225/60's, If you went stock diameter and your a$$ doesn't sag, you'll be just fine. Also to note that it only rubs on the hard plastic edge of the "splash guard" and not on the actual fender.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Mazda and maybe toyota 5-bolt wheels might, as well.

Any FWD car, foreign or domestic, with a standard 5x114.3mm (same as 5x4.5 inch) bolt pattern, more than ~40mm positive offset, the higher the better (stock is 55mm offset, on 7.5 inches of wheel width. offset is likely stamped on the wheel somewhere... I think with a jj prefix), and at least 57.1mm center bore hole should technically work.

As long as it takes standard conical-seat lugs, any standard (not too wide) 12x1.25 thread pitch, cone seat lug nut should be good to bolt them to your car. the stock SVX lug nuts probably won't work, unless the lug seats are the same as the SVX OE wheels... (sleeve and washer style seats, not conical.)

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Mazda and maybe toyota 5-bolt wheels might, as well.

Any FWD car, foreign or domestic, with a standard 5x114.3mm (same as 5x4.5 inch) bolt pattern, more than ~40mm positive offset, the higher the better (stock is 55mm offset, on 7.5 inches of wheel width. offset is likely stamped on the wheel somewhere... I think with a jj prefix), and at least 57.1mm center bore hole should technically work.

As long as it takes standard conical-seat lugs, any standard (not too wide) 12x1.25 thread pitch, cone seat lug nut should be good to bolt them to your car. the stock SVX lug nuts probably won't work, unless the lug seats are the same as the SVX OE wheels... (sleeve and washer style seats, not conical.)
SVX lugs work just fine on steelie rims
Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
SVX lugs work just fine on steelie rims
Only because steelies are so thin, and their conical lug seats are correspondingly thin/narrow. The SVX lug nuts have a tiny conical seat angled surface, at the very end, for use with the steelie donut spare, which is similarly pressed to a standard steelie wheel, just narrower, to fit under the trunk floor.

But I doubt the large diameter SVX stock lugs would fit into the lug wells of other aluminum wheels, and even if they did, I would not trust the tiny conical seats to hold the thinnest point of the conical seats in the wheel. The aluminum of the lug seat area could fail under the pressure being concentrated on a small, thin area.

A much wider cone seat, (on a narrower overall diameter lug nut, without the SVX's captive washer), standard conical seat lug nut spreads the clamping pressure to a larger area of the wheel's lug seat than just the small conical end of the SVX lug nuts, as the conical lug nuts contact more of the seat surface, including the outer part, which is a thicker part of the wheel hub pad, and stronger.

The SVX's lug nuts have a very long engagement length inside, due to the sleeve design and the lug nut acting as a sleeve holds the wheels in terms of rotational force, and add strength against shearing the wheel studs, but the wide washers are where the clamping forces are applied to the OE aluminum wheel, to hold it against the hub face. Two different forces on two different surfaces. Not many wheels and lug systems share that design, and it makes SVX lug nuts hard to find.

(BTW, I still have yet to receive a set that were supposed to be with my second set of wheels... reminds me to contact that person again, but thanks to Ray in SLC, I have 22 of them for my car. A spare is a good thing, since they aren't in stock at the local auto-parts store.)

A conical seat lug arrangement is an angle that splits both rotational stability and wheel centering, as well as wheel clamping forces laterally onto the hub face, on the same surface of contact between the lug nut and wheel.

Most wheels use the conical seat, and most auto parts stores stock conical seat lug nuts that will fit. It is much more standard than SVX's almost-over-engineered system. If it were truly over-engineered, there would be six lugs per wheel, or something... and then this would be a moot thread, as very few other wheels would fit.

But thankfully that is not the case, and luckily 5x114 pattern wheels are easier to find than other Subies, with 5x100, and more offset required than most Audi/VW 5x100 wheels allow.

------------

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 12-08-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Excellent, thank you very much for the info guys, it will be indispensable while im trolling thru the snow covered junk yard for something.

I actually hit a ford taurus on the side 2 days ago in the morning, pretty hard too, at a 45 degree angle on my left side. The guy kept going, he apparently didnt feel it somehow or didnt want the cops attention or have insurance or whatever. Fearing the worst, I pulled into 7-11 and checked over my front left side for the substantial damage I MUST have incurred, but to my amazement there was a small scuff of his paint and the bumper was pushed in ever so slightly as to be unnoticeable!!

Lucky break, but its time for snow tires, especially as my commute to work takes me over 9000 foot high Mount Rose and 30 miles of windy snow-covered mountain 2-lane.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Lucky break, but its time for snow tires, especially as my commute to work takes me over 9000 foot high Mount Rose and 30 miles of windy snow-covered mountain 2-lane.
You must be having major fun with the latest un-Tahoe-Reno cold one!!! If you ski or board you're driving by some mighty fine stuff!! Wait til the skies clear!!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Yeah then I get to be stuck behind all the moronic snowboarding clowns who can ski in the snow but cant seem to drive in it..... alllll the way up mount rose highway lol

This happens every winter after each storm..... and for the life of me I cant figure out why they wont pay to widen the highway up there..... nobody going 15mph all the way up seems to know what the turnouts are for.....

Ok, rant complete... I needed to get that out