Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Unhappy Another thread about another mysterious noise...

Well I'm sure we're ALL sick of hearing about unkown problems with people's SVX, but I've got one more to tickle the brain...

The SVX has been running great the last 2 years, haven't put much into it as far as having to replace (Regular maitnence, air filter replaced, ignition wires replaced), but I've been getting a noise lately that is making me nervous. The other problem is it's getting increasinly louder and more prominant, so I'm learning time is an issue in this case.

So now the fun part. Where everyone, were we not connected via the electrical wonders of the internet, would be laughing at me and the noises I would be trying immitate. But anyway, enough with the joking.

When I accelerate and turn the wheel left (only left), I get a HORRIBLE creaking/groaning noise. Defineatly sounds like metal on metal. The fastest I've ever heard it is 30MPH, above that it doesnt seem to be an issue. It is most noticable pulling away from a stop/yield sign. It is also ONLY under load, it does not do it if I am not on the accelerator. It is not a clanging noise, it is much deeper than that. Also, the noise is coming from the drivers side only, so it would be, if it is suspension related, the side that is compressed left (as you turn left, the suspension compresses more on the right). Which seems odd. Also, it is loudest when I'm hardly turning the wheel, like maybe 10-20degrees to the left, say to accelerate away from a stop sign at a fork in the road. It then will not make it until the wheel is turned much more, as if to make a say, 90degree turn from a stop sign or light.

I'm thinking its drivertrain related, given that it only happens under load. Also, given that it happens only turning left, I think it is a clearence issue when the wheel is turned that way. Wish I could hang underneath the car WHILE I drive it to locate the exact position...

Lets see, other information... it's an LSi with AWD, '94. No major modifications, 16" aftermarket wheels with stock sized tires too that I've had for almost 2 years on the car, so that shouldnt be causing the problem.

If I notice anything else I'll update, but its been making it for 2 weeks now or so, so I should've noticed just about everything at this point. I live in New Hampshire, so if any of you crazy tech-heads live around here and want to come listen to it in person or take it out for a drive, just let me know. PM me and I'll hit you up with my cell phone.

Also, tracks perfectly straight coasting, and a LITTLE to the right under load, if I let go of the wheel and such. But that could be just the grading of the road... if its the car is very minor. No extra feedback or wierd jarring of the wheel when the noise is made either. I'm really at a loss for what it could be, unless its like a CV joint or something like that.

Any and all help is much appriciated. I'm not new to the car thing, but relative to alot of the folks on here I am, seeing as how I'm only 19yrs old, so I've only been able to obtain so much knowledge in my short amount of time in this world. There are guys on here that have owned SVX's for close to 15 years... Hehe.

Craig

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap