How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 PM

To rebuild or not to rebuild ?

Would you reccomend rebuilding the tranny for a 92 SVX or sourcing a low mileage used tranny.

I hear that the MPV, Pathfinder, and Legacy trannys are the same, is there a specific tranny that is the best to swap in ?

I'm not going to do a 5 speed conversion, unless I get a new daily driver car.

I have a mechanic who specializes in rebuilding trannys and he really wants to rebuild this one. I know the early SVX trannys just plain suck but he sure makes a rebuild sound good.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Re: To rebuild or not to rebuild ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowtion View Post
Would you reccomend rebuilding the tranny for a 92 SVX or sourcing a low mileage used tranny.

I have a mechanic who specializes in rebuilding trannys and he really wants to rebuild this one. I know the early SVX trannys just plain suck but he sure makes a rebuild sound good.
He could be great and still have no clue what updates-etc are needed for an SVX transmission.

I would probably shoot for a lo miles used one if going for the Subaru company rebuilt doesn't fit your budget.

I had real good luck with lo mileage engines and transmissions on my 90 legacy.

Not familiar with other transmissions that will bolt right in but there are very knowledgeable people on this form!

Good luck,
Keith
Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 PM

Thanks, yeah i was hoping to find someone who has done a proper rebuild who can fill me in as to what I will need and need to know. I'm sure we could get a nice rebuild if I get the right info on here.

I can't seem to find a thread on someone's rebuild experience.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Just to clarify, they use the same transmission planetaries and clutch sets... The cases for the transmissions in the pathfinders etc.. are very different.

Tom
Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Again, you could just get a nice low milage used 4.44 or 4.11 transmission you know.. Gives you more of a kick..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-30-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
If this is a competent guy (or gal) who will give you an up-front (and reasonably competitive) quote, stand behind the work and not take six months getting it done, I'd probably go this route.

dcb
Old 12-30-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Again, you could just get a nice low milage used 4.44 or 4.11 transmission you know.. Gives you more of a kick..
Where would I pull one of those from? Legacy ?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Where would I pull one of those from? Legacy ?
Yep!

Click here

The link above is OT's(svxfiles) info on it..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-30-2008, 02:47 PM

I believe any 1992-'97 Subaru automatic will do (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), but you'll also have to change the rear gear as the final drive ratio won't be the same. A search will unearth the specifics you need.

Remember that "more kick" also means shorter legs on the highway.

I'm afraid it won't be too long before there are no more SVX reman transmissions to be had off the shelf.

dcb
Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 PM

Thank you for that link Freeman, muchly appreciated.

I am thinking I will try to find a broken legacy tranny and have that rebuilt and hope that my current original tranny lasts in the mean time.

Does anyone know if I need a Legacy "outback" model tranny or just any legacy will do?

Also wondering if a Legacy tranny from a 98 is a 'Phase 2' which would be more tricky ?

Also, if I install a Legacy tranmission then I wouldn't be able to install the SVX "Quick Change Shift Kit" or would I
Old 01-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thank you for that link Freeman, muchly appreciated.

I am thinking I will try to find a broken legacy tranny and have that rebuilt and hope that my current original tranny lasts in the mean time.

Does anyone know if I need a Legacy "outback" model tranny or just any legacy will do?

Also wondering if a Legacy tranny from a 98 is a 'Phase 2' which would be more tricky ?

Also, if I install a Legacy tranmission then I wouldn't be able to install the SVX "Quick Change Shift Kit" or would I
The phase II transmissions are a ton of work. Young Tom(TomsSVX) was working on one and said its a way too many hours working with all of the wiring alone...
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47098

Just find a lower mileage transmission out of another suby(junkyard), it doesn't matter if it is a outback model or not, just has to be a phase I and don't bother having it rebuilt as those aren't prone to failure in the way that our transmissions are. Also as stated get the matching rearend.

With a 4.44 or 4.11 transmission, the quick change is not necessary. In the Svx transmission it is made to have long, smooth shifts whereas the other suby transmissions all have quick, sporty shifts. This is the main reason ours wear out quicker-caused more heat/more wear on the clutch packs.

Edit: if your mechanic will give you a great price on a 4.44 or 4.11 rebuild, then go ahead, otherwise its not necessary.

Last edited by 1986nate; 01-01-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Some 1998's will work, I just finished swapping in a 4.44 trans from a 98 legacy outback. You just need to make sure it does not have the spin-on filter on the side of the tranny housing.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
With a 4.44 or 4.11 transmission, the quick change is not necessary. In the Svx transmission it is made to have long, smooth shifts whereas the other suby transmissions all have quick, sporty shifts. This is the main reason ours wear out quicker-caused more heat/more wear on the clutch packs.

Not so, all the boxes work the same way.

Its the programing in the TCU that provides the slow smooth change. Any auto that you put in, that uses the SVX TCU, will have the same slow change, that the Quick Change removes.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:06 PM

Registered SVX

Will the 91-94 Legacy Turbo tranny work in an SVX
Old 01-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
Will the 91-94 Legacy Turbo tranny work in an SVX
I believe it will but most stay away from those as the turbo transmissions are more likely to be abused.