Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted

Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 AM

Hey Jack, You Gotta a Jack?

So what's with the screw jacks? One of mine rusted out, and the other one couldn't hold the weight of the car, and bent sideways while I was looking at the CV boots. I could use 2, but need a least 1. Or is there an aftermarket one that can be purchased?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Hey Jack, You Gotta a Jack?

The SVX "death jack" is the most dangerous thing ever. It's actually identical in design to the one that comes on Audi S8s, and someone in the S8 club was just killed when his car fell on him.

Don't use these things! Go to the store and buy a decent quality hydraulic jack.
2001 Audi S8
Old 07-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

And always, ALWAYS use jackstands. Never trust any jack, leadscrew, hydraulic or otherwise, to support a car.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
And always, ALWAYS use jackstands. Never trust any jack, leadscrew, hydraulic or otherwise, to support a car.
yepp
also the way the svx jacks are setup they will dig into asphalt especially on a warm day ( believe it happened to a member who was trying to change his spare on the street)
Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

I used to carry the 1.5 ton aluminum racing jack from Harbor Freight in my trunk. It was strong enough and had enough lift that if you jacked up behind the front tire it would allow the rear tire to come off the ground.

Great for autocross where you change from street to track tires. Always worked perfectly and NEVER had it fail.

http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-p...ack-68054.html

I bought their 1.5 ton scissor jack to see how it would do. Requires a little more time and effort to do the same job, but much less cumbersome and a lot lighter. Doesn't lift it quite as high but more than adequate.

Tested it in my garage by jacking up one side from the front with the racing jack and the other side with the scissor jack so that both front wheels were off the ground.

I then lowered the racing jack slightly to see if the scissor jack would do its job. Then released the aluminum jack completely and let the scissor jack bear the entire weight, No problem at all so now that one is in my trunk.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-h...ack-66907.html

I carry an 8" x 8" piece of 3/4" plywood also to use as a base if need be.

I still have a pristine SVX jack, never used. Heard to many horror stories about how often these things FAIL.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-18-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 AM

svxcess....THANX. I'll pick up at least 1 scissors jack. I wasn't sure if they would fit over the frame, and I didn't want it coming up through the floor if it were placed in the wrong place.

Gamesy....You're right. I have the divots in my driveway from having the jack sink into the asphalt
Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXx2 View Post
svxcess....THANX. I'll pick up at least 1 scissors jack. I wasn't sure if they would fit over the frame, and I didn't want it coming up through the floor if it were placed in the wrong place
You rotate the top portion of the jack to that the pinch weld in within the slot. This is the same point that the original jack uses..

I may take photos to add to this post.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
You rotate the top portion of the jack to that the pinch weld in within the slot. This is the same point that the original jack uses..

I may take photos to add to this post.

Nah, no need for pics, I got ya. Sliding the original jack over that pinch point was always a lotta fun.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Just for fun, I looked at the jack that came with my 2010 Outback.

It is the same screw-type scissor configuration as the one from Harbor Freight, and although it looks sturdier, it only has a weight limit of about 1980 lbs. The Harbor Freight unit has a rating of 3,000 lb.

The list price for the Subaru jack is just under $100.00. The one-piece jack handle is extra and is $47.00.

Tried them both on the rear wheel of the SVX tonight to compare. No difference to speak of.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
The screw jacks the SVX came with are for road-side tire changes when that is the best option. They are not intended to be used for regular maintenance.
If you are using them while you are under the car, you're doing it wrong.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: