Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Transmission Mods

Huskymaniac wrote.
Quote:
On the power switch mod, someone mentioned that the TC will not lock up when this is engaged. Won't that defeat some of the purpose since the TC will generate more heat when unlocked? The oil will pump faster since the revs will be kept higher but the TC will generate more heat. Has anyone proven that the faster pump has more impact than the unlocked TC so that the net effect is positive which is to say lower operating temperatures? It would be nice to get the higher RPM map while still allowing the TC to lock up. I haven't installed the switch because I hate re-wiring cars. I am not even a weekend mechanic. If there is an easy way to re-wire the manual button to be a power button, I will do it.
The torque converter clutch still locks-up on my Liberty and SVX, when the Power mode is switched on.

Quote:
Am I correct that you said the higher resistance will increase line pressure? It sounds like your box does so too. What exactly is the difference and how does one install your box?
No I don’t increase the resistance, in fact it has to be the original resistance, to allow the throttle position to set the level of engagement pressure. The TCU turns the line pressure down to reduce the engagement shock. I prevent the TCU from dropping the line pressure, when the change is made, to ensure a no slip engagement.

When the TCU cuts the torque for the change, the engine speed slows to the next ratios speed, this prevents the torque converter from working during the change.
By preventing the torque cut, the engine will drive the converter into a stall condition, to match the speed difference, and will multiply the torque.
This is most noticeable when down shifting to overtake on the highway. Instead of the car lagging there waiting for the change to take place and the power to come back, the change is instant, with the torque increase accelerating the car out and around, spending less time on the wrong side of the road.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.