Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2012, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: Too much timing belt travel...

The issue still exists as work has consumed me again this week. I'll pick up the new parts tomorrow and let you all know either way whether the problem has been resolved.

Seriously guys, after all we've invested in this thread I can't leave everyone hanging
Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Keith, I am sorry but I can't sit idle anymore. Your constant condescending posts are insulting. You provide advice and yet talk down to me at the same time. Leaving the impression that you must take me for a complete idiot.

Seriously, after all i've gone through you think I am simply looking at the cam sprockets. Come on man. No, I am not a mechanic by trade but I am meticulous, can read the factory manuals and have the ability to reasonably evaluate/troubleshoot an issue. You have to be skimming my posts to write such irresponsible, irrelevant comments. Some of your posts are written with complete disregard to my previous postings.

This is by no means a slight against everyone's helpful advice, because it truly is appreciated. However, Keith, though your advice is also appreciated, your offensive tone I could do without.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
The issue still exists as work has consumed me again this week. I'll pick up the new parts tomorrow and let you all know either way whether the problem has been resolved.

Seriously guys, after all we've invested in this thread I can't leave everyone hanging
What's included in this round of new parts?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 PM

Well just the timing belt, I bought new accessory belts too however obviously not related. My next steps are in two steps, 1) try out the spare camshafts I have with the existing T-belt 2) if 1 doesn't work assume my sole issue is the existing timing belt and install new timing belt.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Keith, I am sorry but I can't sit idle anymore. Your constant condescending posts are insulting. You provide advice and yet talk down to me at the same time. Leaving the impression that you must take me for a complete idiot.

Seriously, after all i've gone through you think I am simply looking at the cam sprockets. Come on man. No, I am not a mechanic by trade but I am meticulous, can read the factory manuals and have the ability to reasonably evaluate/troubleshoot an issue. You have to be skimming my posts to write such irresponsible, irrelevant comments. Some of your posts are written with complete disregard to my previous postings.

This is by no means a slight against everyone's helpful advice, because it truly is appreciated. However, Keith, though your advice is also appreciated, your offensive tone I could do without.
My every post was with genuine concern for you... trying to help you find the path to success. It was never about me, and I apologize for that concern. This again reaffirm my belief in the old adage... "Let no good deed go unpunished"

Your comment about my "tone"... nothing could be farther from the truth.

BYE

Keith
Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 AM

Registered SVX
Talking Re: Too much timing belt travel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
My every post was with genuine concern for you... trying to help you find the path to success. It was never about me, and I apologize for that concern. This again reaffirm my belief in the old adage... "Let no good deed go unpunished"

Your comment about my "tone"... nothing could be farther from the truth.

BYE

Keith
Keith,

Most of the threads you post in have replies with concerns about tone, excessive sarcasm, or other issues with your attitude. Like a wise man once told me, "If people think your an asshole, then you are an asshole."

Just something to think about.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM

Registered SVX

one thing to try would be to put a mark on the belt and driver side cam pulley on the place where the belt runs out towards the front of the car. run the car and watch the marks if it consistently lines up the marks when the belt moves towards the end of the sprocket then it's the belt. if the marks don't line up when the belt moves then it's not. since the marked part of the belt will not be in the same place in relation to the timing marks every time it goes around then it will establish whether the consistency is in relation to something on the engine or the belt itself. if it happens when the cam is in a certain position but not when the belt is then it would most likely be an engine problem. i vote for buying another belt, they have steel or nylon belts in them like a tire, if a few of them get broken or rolled over then only the rubber is holding the belt together at a certain point which allows it to stretch under tension.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
one thing to try would be to put a mark on the belt and driver side cam pulley on the place where the belt runs out towards the front of the car. run the car and watch the marks if it consistently lines up the marks when the belt moves towards the end of the sprocket then it's the belt. if the marks don't line up when the belt moves then it's not. since the marked part of the belt will not be in the same place in relation to the timing marks every time it goes around then it will establish whether the consistency is in relation to something on the engine or the belt itself. if it happens when the cam is in a certain position but not when the belt is then it would most likely be an engine problem. i vote for buying another belt, they have steel or nylon belts in them like a tire, if a few of them get broken or rolled over then only the rubber is holding the belt together at a certain point which allows it to stretch under tension.
Right! This is what I was trying to get at. If you note in the first video he posted, I think this is already shown, as the existing part number markings on the belt provide this visual reference-- they are ALWAYS in the same spot when the belt runs out (or moves forward).

If it was a rotational component, the belt runout would happen at a different position on the belt with each rotation. But since the movement is at the same point on the belt (with respect to the belt markings) I think it must be the belt.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Registered SVX

Funny as this sounds I was listening to the rhythm it was always the same .components move at different speeds the belt is at the same speed .think of it as a bad link in a bicycle chain it would always clunk in the same spot even though the sprockets go around 4 or 5 times to a chain REV. Hence the clunk or in this case the drift is always the same..
Old 02-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Keith,

Most of the threads you post in have replies with concerns about tone, excessive sarcasm, or other issues with your attitude. Like a wise man once told me, "If people think your an asshole, then you are an asshole."

Thanks for the advice! I followed your advise to think about what you said, and after carefully evaluation, I have to agree. Who can challenge the wisdom of a wise man... certainly not me.

Like your "wise man" told you, if people think you are an asshole, then you are an asshole.

I totally agree with your assessment of your "wise man", and also agree with your assessment of yourself... OK? You are an asshole.

Keith
Old 02-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Funny as this sounds I was listening to the rhythm it was always the same .components move at different speeds the belt is at the same speed .think of it as a bad link in a bicycle chain it would always clunk in the same spot even though the sprockets go around 4 or 5 times to a chain REV. Hence the clunk or in this case the drift is always the same..
Yup. The rhythm of the noise correlates to the rotational speed of the belt. I.e. one "cronk!" per revolution of the belt. An untrue pulley would "cronk!" multiple times per belt revolution, as all pulleys rotate multiple times per belt revolution...
Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I followed your advise to think about what you said, and after carefully evaluation, I have to agree. Who can challenge the wisdom of a wise man... certainly not me.

Like your "wise man" told you, if people think you are an asshole, then you are an asshole.

I totally agree with your assessment of your "wise man", and also agree with your assessment of yourself... OK? You are an asshole.

Keith
Now, now boys, play nice.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 02-17-2012, 04:46 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

Way to handle criticism, man...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-17-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Way to handle criticism, man...
Thank you, icingdeath88
I have spent a lifetime trying to treat people nicer than they treat me. That has always been my passion but I did have some reservations about that one!

I have been running up and down the freeway ever since I posted it and have been feeling bad... wondering if I would be home in time to edit it.
Your reply is certainly encouraging so maybe my niceness record still remains intact. I certainly hope it will be accepted by everyone in the same spirit it was sent! Now my spirit has been lifted!

Thanks again for the nice post. I owe you one, man!

Take care,
Keith
Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Keith,

Most of the threads you post in have replies with concerns about tone, excessive sarcasm, or other issues with your attitude.

Quote:
Like a wise man once told me, "If people think your an asshole, then you are an asshole."

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything