SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
17 year old daughter having a 'but first' year..

My 17 year old daughter is having too many decisions thrust upon her during the waning part of her senior year..

There is a LOT of things that she needs to decide on, BUT FIRST, a lot of other things need to fall into place.

There are so many 'professionals' pushing her in too many directions.

She has confided in me that she really does NOT want to make life changing decisions right now. I am not pushing her for anything but her choice of car.
(she has 3, so I want to know what to make shiny first).

Since the demographics of this 'club' show that there are more young people than us ol' farts, INPUTTTT!!! What would YOU decide on FIRST???

She can pick from the best entries .. NO one should have to decide on what the rest of their life will be at 17!!

C'MON!! GUIDE her!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Re: 17 year old daughter having a 'but first' year..

What decisions are on her plate right now?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

The question is kinda hard to gather from the post

Most college students change their major atleast twice, so there is no hurry to make a life changing decision just yet!

Tell her just to find something she is interested in and go for it. If in a few years she decides it was fun but not what she wants to do, no problem...

It deffinetly is a good idea to have some set goals for college though.

What does she want out of her college teachings? Would she want just a Bachelors or something better?

Remind her that she wouldn't go to college just to get degrees in what she wants to do later in life, but also to study things that she might want to know more about.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I have a 17 year old daughter. She's very mature for her age. She has her own apartment and car and is in second year of college.
Last year she wanted to be a Pharmacologist and studied math and sciences. This year she took an about face and is studying to be a Chef with hopes of getting her Red Medalion and working around the world for a few years.
At 17 it's way too young to make a final decision concerning the rest of your life. I'm happy that she's happy doing what she's doing. Learning something she truly is interested in instead of having knownledge crammed into her cranium that is of little or no interest or use to her.
Whatever it is that is studied is better than quitting school and starting a dead end mundane job.

P.S. She drives a Subaru Outback

Last edited by Blacky; 02-18-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Okay Jerry first off man your post tend to confuse me. But maybe I can offer some input. If she isn't sure on what she wants to do yet maybe a community college is her best bet. They are often on the cheaper side and until she is sure on what she wants to due can complete the often required "core" classes. There have been studies shown that a year off before attending college can allow a person to mature and statically do better.

One thing is sure, GO TO SCHOOL.

I personally thought I made a big mistake by going to Community college first and not a 4 year right away but it has turned out to be the best thing I could have done. It allows me to not have such strain on my wallet and also I can still live at home a hell of a lot cheaper then dorms and there are always parents to help should say something happen to your car .

If she isnt sure, on what she wants to due don't worry like ode said, most will change their major, hell I did the first semester, from associates of science to network technology.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade

God I'm 21 and can't figure out what I want to do. I've changed programs three times. Best thing would probably be to choose something she enjoys and go for it. Chances are she will change her mind somewhere down the road but that's okay, she has lots of time.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Okay Jerry first off man your post tend to confuse me. But maybe I can offer some input. If she isn't sure on what she wants to do yet maybe a community college is her best bet. They are often on the cheaper side and until she is sure on what she wants to due can complete the often required "core" classes. There have been studies shown that a year off before attending college can allow a person to mature and statically do better.

I personally thought I made a big mistake by going to Community college first and not a 4 year right away but it has turned out to be the best thing I could have done. It allows me to not have such strain on my wallet and also I can still live at home a hell of a lot cheaper then dorms and there are always parents to help should say something happen to your car .

If she isnt sure, on what she wants to due don't worry like ode said, most will change their major, hell I did the first semester, from associates of science to network technology.

Oh, you're a network guy

Nearly all the network guys from my last job had major problems with little words like that.

Just giving you a hard time!

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 02-18-2009, 10:53 PM
do da stanky leggggg!

Send a message via AIM to apocalixto

ya. i went from being a violin performance major to being a pre-med/biology major. i have so much catching up to do. but you know what? i am still young. i have time to change.

MB Quart components and 6x9s, Autotek "Mean Machine" Amplifier, Pioneer D3 Touch Screen Nav/DVD/CD/iPod, 4 10" PowerBass 2XL Subs, Powerbass XA-3000D Monoblock Amp
Flowmaster exhaust, MP 6000K HID w/ clear lenses and '97 style grille, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ scoop (recently painted), 17" Sport Max rims (gunmetal w/ chrome lip), Ground Control Coilovers, Motorsport Crank Pulley, and Green Filter, ARP head studs, GroupN Engine mounts
4.44 AWD swap w/ Quick Change
Old 02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post

Oh, you're a network guy

Nearly all the network guys from my last job had major problems with little words like that.

Just giving you a hard time!

Dustin
Haha, Sorry I was doing 5 things at once, taking a test for online class, speaking on the phone, looking on here, messing with my laptop , and yelling at my brother

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I just graduated and still dont know what I want to do.

I may actually go back to school again, so we shall see.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

When I grow up I want to be a fire truck.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 02-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Hater

guy i work with, his 4-year old, when asked what he wants to be when he grows up:

"i wanna be a pig!"

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Go to school...... Take classes you think you will enjoy your first year and get a feel from that. Also, really look around at different schools. I wish I had done more investigating of the school that I went to initially
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post

Her opinion, "Everyone knows whats best for me but ME!"

Since I went from the high school to the time clock and the Alter, I guess I don't count.

HOWEVER, once the first EX pulled out, I punched the clock at noon one day and RAN AWAY!! I 'continued' my education.
I went to the local Community College for a couple years and worked at the bowling alley.
This was possible since I THANK GOD, had produced no children with this woman!!

Amie confided in me that I am the only one NOT pushing her!

I just asked which of her 3 cars we should make shiney and tag!
She hasn't even asked about getting a license yet. I want her to help me build the Legacy first.
The SVX is hers, but I have a LOT of Legacy parts, so I want her to use it first. She also has a Toyota Tercel that I want to build for sale to get the money to build the subis.

I had NO IDEA what I wanted to do with the rest of my life at 17!!

I think that education is a good thing, BUT I have seen too many BS classes thrown at the kids as a "REQUIRED'' class.

My wife decided to go back. One of her classes was called "The Socialigy Of Sex Roles".. When she came home with all the Lesbian FEMINZIES hand-outs, she said that she had never heard of any of them.

I DID her 'homework' for her!!

Here was a REDNECK, MALE doing her homework for a FEMI-NAZIE class!!

She got a 'B' for it, but all her homework came back with a lot of red circles and stuff!!

I am convinced that a LOT of the 'higher' education is an attempt to intruduce as many 'Liberal' ideals as possible, rather than 'inform' the children.

That was the case in the 70's when I was there and seems to have gotten WORSE since I left.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Liberal of course.

But there is no argument that getting a higher education is a must.
She has time, and community college isn't bad. Let her decided and like I said there is nothing wrong with taking "core" classes until she has at least decided for the first time what she wants.