How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 AM

My '92 Transmission just went (no 4th gear, 1-3 slip)... Japanese Tranny question

Howdy all, first post as I just bought a '92 svx with 135,000 miles in January. I was driving a lil hard on Friday and upon restarting the car an hour later I had no reverse. I went for a drive and had gears 1-4 on the highway. I parked and reverse came back but when I got back on the highway 4th gear was gone and has remained missing ever since and gears 1-3 rev almost to redline before switching. If I put the gear shifter in 1st then 2nd and so on the car shifts better and on time but still no 4th. Is my tranny done, or does it sound like it could be something else?

I found a local shop that imports engines and trannys from japan. I am going to have one hopefully installed on tuesday, however they mentioned "BECAUSE THE JAPAN TYPE GEAR RATIO IS DIFFERENT WITH AMERICAN GEAR RATIO ( REAR DIFFERENTIAL ) , YOU MUST REMOVE THE 4WD FUSE TO USE AS 2WD"... does this mean the car will be FWD only now or can I make it RWD only? any work around to keep the car AWD or am I stuck? Also can I make the car RWD? Thanks in advance.

-Neil