SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: Building it up only to let it go - those who've jumped ship. *LONG*

It was designed as a Luxury Sports Cruiser.... It was NOT designed to be fast off the line... It was designed for a driving and riding experience...something it delivered as it was designed for. It's still a great ride.... responsive on nice mountain roads.
I plan on keeping mine as long as possible... the reason....... I have fallen in love with a beautiful car.... that's it... I didn't fall in love with a dragster... I didn't fall in love with a rally car... I fell in love with a unique experiment by fuji heavy industries...

Home run, Mitch.

0 to 60 times, quarter mile, & top speeds attained are pretty much stats most of us just like to brag on while downing suds in bars with other gear heads. The reality in today's driving world is that MOST "older" folks never (OK, seldom) push their ride to the limits. My main concern when piloting ANY vehicle is its ability to perform in the 40-80 mph range. Passing & lane merging are real motoring issues, & within this range the SVX with the hammer down definitely doesn't disappoint me. I recently stomped it to pass a "dreamer" doing 45 on a 55 limit 2-lane black top....glanced down to note I was doing 90 in the post-pass position. "Golly-whiz", I mumbled.

Also, in this new world of bend-me-over gas pricing, I tend to hyper-mile instead of making rubber doughnuts. The beast, on three recent over 500 mile jaunts over a variety of roads averaged 25 - 27 mpg.

Recently when walking back to the car with a coffee in hand, I noticed a lady with 2 teenagers staring at the windows. Mom - "I think the windows only go up to there" (pointing). I approached - "Mom's right" (smiling). Teens still looked puzzled. Now THAT'S why I drive Fuji's finest.

Ron. (The Miata's for that 1% of the time I feel like a kid)

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Re: Building it up only to let it go - those who've jumped ship. *LONG*

Nice thread, there are some things I can agree with, and there are some things are don't agree with, but the bottom line is, I am a subaru fanatic, I own three subarus, and that is all I am willing to spend my hard earned money on for the past 5-6 years, subaru only.

The SVX is a unique car, and it's a subaru, for me that is all I need. I am stationed at Fort Stewart, GA. and on an average day you will see 20+ subaru imprezas , or dodge charger's or whatever, but on a big post with somewhere around 30K soldiers, to my knowledge there is only 1 SVX that can be seen driving around, and to me that is what keeps me sold.

At least twice a week I will pull up next to a ricer or whatever and I can hear the passenger or driver talking to others in his car asking what kind of car is that, or that car looks wierd, etc. etc.. I just smile and drive away.
I will drive mine till the wheels fall off
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
Nice thread, there are some things I can agree with, and there are some things are don't agree with, but the bottom line is, I am a subaru fanatic, I own three subarus, and that is all I am willing to spend my hard earned money on for the past 5-6 years, subaru only.

i thought the same thing, my last four cars were Subarus.

have you seen what they've had to offer lately?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Same with us on Subaru loyalty.

Our 2010 Outback Limited has been spectacular! Car is now 17 months old and the odometer just turned over 82,000. Not one problem ever. Getting our 3rd set of tires soon. Gas mileage wuth the CVT has been over 28.5 mpg consistantly

Since the mileage is so high, we would only get a wholesale price on a trade-in anyway. We well be looking for another Subaru soon, probably a 2012 Legacy 2.5GT with manual transmission. Keep the Outback for other duties where more room is required, or a backup is required.

When I met my wife, she had a Miata. In the past 12 years, I have only owned 2 Subarus, both SVXs...

In that same period of time, she has owned 7 Subarus!

She may be queen of the house, but my polo will always remain queen of the garage.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 AM

Reading back over this thread it occurred to me that "jumping ship" really isn't all that unusual. Since I bought my first SVX, everybody I know has changed rides 2-3-4 times. Seems it's extraordinary to keep ANY car for more than five or six years.

Observations on SVX performance (or lack thereof) got me to thinking how our expectations have changed in the past 20 years. A 230 HP AWD coupe capable of 140+? No automotive historian here, but as I recall that rocked back in '92. Today the airwaves are awash with ads for 500+ HP Cadillacs trailing Ferraris in their wake, and Porsches cloyingly portrayed as "school bus" kid-movers. (This with one-in-ten out of work in this country. Watch any televised football game this weekend to see that the ad men know where all the money has gone. [end quasi-political aside])

The SVX is easily the most capable car I've owned, and I doubt I'll ever again have anything so well-rounded. But then, I've not driven a car with fewer than 100,000 miles on the odometer in over 20 years, and that's not a situation that's likely to change in the foreseeable future.

dcb
Old 10-05-2011, 07:29 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Observations on SVX performance (or lack thereof) got me to thinking how our expectations have changed in the past 20 years. A 230 HP AWD coupe capable of 140+? .

dcb
I was reading Car Craft this morning about the 05-10 Mustangs, and I quote;

It looked right, sounded right, and seemed like the ultimate solution to the weird-ish New Edge SN-95s that preceded it. Then, ouch, the 4.6 3V
only made 300 hp and 330 lb-ft, and the convertible version weighed around 3,600 pounds.
The car had everything but speed."

By todays standard a 3600 pound 300 horse power is now a slug.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Reading back over this thread it occurred to me that "jumping ship" really isn't all that unusual. Since I bought my first SVX, everybody I know has changed rides 2-3-4 times. Seems it's extraordinary to keep ANY car for more than five or six years.

Observations on SVX performance (or lack thereof) got me to thinking how our expectations have changed in the past 20 years. A 230 HP AWD coupe capable of 140+? No automotive historian here, but as I recall that rocked back in '92. Today the airwaves are awash with ads for 500+ HP Cadillacs trailing Ferraris in their wake, and Porsches cloyingly portrayed as "school bus" kid-movers. (This with one-in-ten out of work in this country. Watch any televised football game this weekend to see that the ad men know where all the money has gone. [end quasi-political aside])

The SVX is easily the most capable car I've owned, and I doubt I'll ever again have anything so well-rounded. But then, I've not driven a car with fewer than 100,000 miles on the odometer in over 20 years, and that's not a situation that's likely to change in the foreseeable future.

dcb
Reminds me of a comic I seen in some auto book a few months ago, at the end it had two guys checking out the latest model of whatever car it was boasting some 760hp something or other and the other guy said something along the lines of "I think I'm going to wait until the 1,096hp version comes out." The idea of needing a car to reach 60mph in just a hair under 2.9 seconds seems ridiculous, especially as a DD. This coming from someone finding themselves pushing 70 accidentally in a 55 rather quickly then again, rather quickly being more like 9 seconds, not 3.

I view the SVX scene as a whole different breed entirely (for the most part... there are a few people who confuse me still ). Comparing your or my non-SVX owning friends/family to everyone else here is a hard thing to do, even more less if they own anything outside of a Subaru - as Subaru owners/enthusiasts do seem rather passionate about their autos. I guess you have that sort of community brand like bond in a lot of other loyal car owners such as VW, Jeep and the Corvette crowd... but assuming those are the sorts that live within friends/family seem rare... but I'm just speaking from my own personal standpoint. The last person to care much about his car was an uncle of mine who passed away quite some time ago but loved his 1989 Corvette like no other. Everyone else in my family seem to drive just about whatever without any real connection to the car it seems.... maybe its better that way.... and could explain the easy jump from one car to another in as little as 2 years, never to look back or care for that matter.

Those who change cars 2-3-4 times over a course of 5 years are also the ones usually unwilling to pay $400 for a radiator after just fixing their busted A/C because the car is starting to cost them too much, so it must be time to change it up and get something newer.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

This, of course, raises the question of how slow a car can be and still be acceptable. If the 235hp SVX is plenty, why not swap out to a more efficient and lighter 2.5L 165hp engine, or even a 2.2L 142HP engine? We're in no hurry, right?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
This, of course, raises the question of how slow a car can be and still be acceptable. If the 235hp SVX is plenty, why not swap out to a more efficient and lighter 2.5L 165hp engine, or even a 2.2L 142HP engine? We're in no hurry, right?
I'll make it easy on ya... Trade my Legacy for the Silver???
Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
This, of course, raises the question of how slow a car can be and still be acceptable.
That's wholly dependent upon who's behind the wheel. I drove a 90 HP Subaru 4WD wagon into the ground over the course of 16 years, but I didn't give a flip about beating anybody to the next red light. (Good thing.) Some guys would rather walk than drive something that can be timed with an hourglass, and that's their prerogative.

dcb
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Who asks the question about a 20 year old car?

The modifiers...the "hot rod" fanatics.

Yes, there will be people that want to modify ANY car into a hot rod. All of the 1940-70's modifying the model Ts into hot rods is the example...

While I appreciate the effort (sometimes) It's not my thing. My SVX is a daily driver...I don't race... I don't speed (for the most part) I want to keep it as stock as possible in the coming years.

My opinion...my taste.... I like the car as it is for the most part and will continue to cringe when I see people modifying it outside the way it was designed... (that includes superchargers, racing suspension, and lightening the car)

Right now...My biggest debate with myself is ... do I change to the 17" wheels that I got...or do I stick with the stock wheels. Other mods will become necessary as the parts become more scarce... to me..that's sad. To others... it's an opportunity to modify...

I do have a funny story ... It's been almost a year since my car has spent any time on the road... Yesterday driving down one of the industrial type roads on the west side of the the city.... I was stopped at a light.... this POS accura with primer covering most of the thing...and the rear bumper clip hanging at on odd angle pulls along side of me... the car has 4 younger kids in it (I'm 58...anything younger than that is a kid to me) The driver of the accura starts gunning his engine.....he's obviously proud of the sound it's making... sounds a bit tinny to me...almost like one of the old honda motorcycles ...about 90ccs.... but he's revving it up like he wants to race.

The light changes and he breaks traction and tears off down the road to the next light..... I just did a normal start.... I know this road...and there's no way I'm going to make to my left turn without stopping at every light...
When I catch up to him at the next light he's there gunning his engine ...still wanting to race.... same thing at this light.... he tears off...and I just do a slow launch to keep my car shifting just below 3k.... this happens at 4 lights.... (the city really needs to get the timing of lights on this street better)

We are now at the last light before I am going to make a left turn... He guns his engine.... at the next gap between his sewing machine... I cut loose with a rev upto about 5k...... look over to the POS...and see all 4 of the kids hunker down...with a very sheepish look ..... they didn't seem to want to race after they heard my rev.... guess they thought my 6 cyl sounded a bit stronger than the 4 banger and trumpet they had.....

or...they thought I was an off duty cop.....
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .

Last edited by Uncamitzi; 10-05-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
...I didn't give a flip about beating anybody to the next red light. (Good thing.)
You don't have to be in a rush to want a car with a reasonable amount of power. There is a shade of luxury to be had with a car that doesn't need to drop down two gears to find any sense of acceleration. Rest assured, I don't spend my Saturday nights duking it out with Civics on the boulevard. In contrast, I don't have a lot of reasons to shift down from sixth once I get there, even varying speeds in casual amounts at legal speeds. You could flog a gutless car for years, but it won't feel like a "Luxury Sports Cruiser".

If power demand is based on driver perspective, there is no amount too high or too low, save for those chosen by the individuals who selected them for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncamitzi View Post
Who asks the question about a 20 year old car?
It's a legitimate question. If the SVX came with a 2.2L, 140hp engine, would that still be plenty adequate?

Quote:
I like the car as it is for the most part and will continue to cringe when I see people modifying it outside the way it was designed... (that includes superchargers, racing suspension, and lightening the car)
No car has stood (as you might say) unmolested. Tuning came from hand-me-down cars, and it's found its way to the most mundane family cruisers and the "most likely to be piloted by great-grandparents" land yachts. You wouldn't even be safe from association with a truck anymore.

With this in mind, the best you can do is be grateful that there aren't fleets of disposable SVXi roaming around with ill-fitting, unpainted bodykits, and find a way to accept that any SVX with a tighter suspension or more powerful engine is just in pursuit of making a car that's talking its talk walk its respective walk, which is something that it shorted the market and promoted its demise.

(P.S.: Your tale tells of some power pride; I won't tell anybody.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
<silliness>
ROFLZ. No.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Registered SVX

I agree ^

Just being able to merge in traffic without holding up the line, or worse, in my opinion having to sit and wait till there are no cars in sight. In the city that could be a long wait.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I'm an old timer here...and drive a 1.8 Impreza for a DD, and it has 110 chp (probably about 75-80 whp) and it is fine for around town, and will get out in traffic OK, though has to be wound out pretty tight to get any kind of merging speed out of it, so getting in the SVX feels like a rocket in comparison.

I have no urge to get out of the SVX anytime soon, but could happen one day, things change, as does life.

I don't race mine, but do like driving a manual, and I like Yellow, so while not stock, it is modded to be what I feel it "should" have been like stock.

So you guys are probably stuck with me a while longer anyway
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:

I do have a funny story ... It's been almost a year since my car has spent any time on the road... Yesterday driving down one of the industrial type roads on the west side of the the city.... I was stopped at a light.... this POS accura with primer covering most of the thing...and the rear bumper clip hanging at on odd angle pulls along side of me... the car has 4 younger kids in it (I'm 58...anything younger than that is a kid to me) The driver of the accura starts gunning his engine.....he's obviously proud of the sound it's making... sounds a bit tinny to me...almost like one of the old honda motorcycles ...about 90ccs.... but he's revving it up like he wants to race.

The light changes and he breaks traction and tears off down the road to the next light.....
Your funny story brought back memories of my "funny story". "The light changes and he breaks traction and tears off down the road" My guy also did that... sort off!!

More than half a century ago I worked for an appliance dealer in Lubbock Texas. I drove an "then already old" flat 6-Chevrolet pickup truck. One day as I approached the high school and stopped at the red light at the intersection, a high school kid in a "hot rod" pulled up and stopped beside me in the left lane. The old pickup I was driving probable would get from Zero to Sixty in about seven minutes! Just Kidding with him, I revved up the engine-to a "fast idle" and he reciprocated with a roar.

Picture this...

Remember, we are sitting at the intersection with his high school right there... on our right. The light changes, I take off with a sputter, he takes off with a roar! As he comes by me on the left, he tries to cut in in front of me, misjudges the clearance and his right rear bumper bumps my left front bumper.

His "hot rod" turns sideways, skids, flips over on the top, then slides down the street upside down, on its top... This all happened in, like a second, right in front of the his high-school... with several of his classmates watching.

When his car finally comes to a stop and as it catches on fire, he drags himself out through the broken window and runs right down the center of the street !

What can we all learn from this??

Never underestimate your opponent in any competition

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 10-05-2011 at 01:35 PM.