How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 AM

Registered SVX
water pump us/european.

I just woundring what is the difference on a US water pump and European.
I have a 5mt car can i use water pump from the us marked?

Thanks.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: water pump us/european.

Do you have an oil cooler between the oil filter and the block? Or does the filter attach directly to the block? The difference between the two water pumps is that the Euro pump has a 3rd bypass inlet nipple for the oil-water cooler that many of the Euro market cars had. The US water pump has just the two inlets from the heads. However, it has the casting for where the 3rd nipple goes. What someone from the UK did before was get a US pump and add the 3rd nipple to it, by drilling it out and then pressing in a nipple. I plan to do something similar on my turbo engine, if I can get the oil cooler part for cheap.

For reference, this thread has pictures of what a similar oil cooler looks like on a turbo EJ25x: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...lter-leak.html
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM

Registered SVX

I know that there is a extra cooler on the radiator. But is this just for the Auto trans? Or is the extra lines for the engine cooling or is this also for the Autotrans?

I dont have this extra ''donut'' on the oilfilter for the engine. If this where this extra cool lines goes.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX

Last edited by Alex-svx; 02-28-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 PM

Registered SVX

This is entirely unrelated to the trans cooler and lines. The cooler I'm referring to is an oil-water cooler, not oil or water to air. It uses coolant (which is cooled by the radiator) to cool the oil, by exchanging the heat in that little "donut" thing that sits between the oil filter and engine.

If you don't have that thing between the filter and the engine, then you need the 2-port USDM-type water pump. IIRC, your car is pretty much like the US models overall, correct?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Do you have an oil cooler between the oil filter and the block? Or does the filter attach directly to the block? The difference between the two water pumps is that the Euro pump has a 3rd bypass inlet nipple for the oil-water cooler that many of the Euro market cars had. The US water pump has just the two inlets from the heads. However, it has the casting for where the 3rd nipple goes. What someone from the UK did before was get a US pump and add the 3rd nipple to it, by drilling it out and then pressing in a nipple. I plan to do something similar on my turbo engine, if I can get the oil cooler part for cheap.

For reference, this thread has pictures of what a similar oil cooler looks like on a turbo EJ25x: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...lter-leak.html
Is that nipple on the pump the water supply or return to the donut? Where does the other/opposite line from the donut go? Do the US engines have this other/opposite line for the donut to connect to?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 02-28-2013, 03:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Is that nipple on the pump the water supply or return to the donut? Where does the other/opposite line from the donut go? Do the US engines have this other/opposite line for the donut to connect to?
It's return/suction. The supply to the cooler is from one of the big plugs on the bottom of the engine block, very near to the cooler itself. This is a good place for the water supply to come from, because the water has not yet passed through the heads. The EJs with the cooler do have this 3rd nipple.

Here is a thread about swapping the cooler onto another EJ, EG33 should be just as simple: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2263975 (They have the return for the oil cooler going to a nipple welded to the t-stat housing/wp inlet. That's a bad idea, because of the t-stat. When cold you'd want to warm up the oil.)

Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 PM

Registered SVX

It was me who modified a US water pump to fit my UK car when the proper pump was not available. The whole cooler (modine) kit can be purchased from Subaru.
check this link out http://opposedforces.com/parts/svx/e...cooler_engine/
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymal View Post
It was me who modified a US water pump to fit my UK car when the proper pump was not available. The whole cooler (modine) kit can be purchased from Subaru.
Yea, I could not remember your username. Thanks for that link

By any chance do you know the OD of the nipple you added to the WP?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 AM

Registered SVX

If these line just goes to the oil filter. Then you can innstall a us water pump anny way?
But will this damage the engine if you dont add this extra cooler lines to the filter? If you have these?

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM

To answer the other question, will it be of any advantage to install a non USDM water pump w/3rd line and the external oil/water cooler. Since I just did the whole enchilada water pump/timing chain service. This isn't an issue for several years but is useful info to reference in the future.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan View Post
To answer the other question, will it be of any advantage to install a non USDM water pump w/3rd line and the external oil/water cooler. Since I just did the whole enchilada water pump/timing chain service. This isn't an issue for several years but is useful info to reference in the future.
Not unless you are planning on really pushing the engine a lot. (Like turboing it or any kind of racing that lasts long enough to cook the oil).

Old 04-27-2013, 01:41 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymal View Post
How did you modified the water pump? I have just have start on the car and i have 3rd water line.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Registered SVX

Hello.

I have find a topic on a other whit the oil heater.
And i see the termostat housing have a nipple. Will this fit the svx?

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread...oler-170.html?

Thanks.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 PM

Registered SVX

The fitting is on the wrong side of the thermostat. There's not much flow when the engine is cold.

Tapani
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Although if your thermostat is moved to the upper hose of the engine and the lower spot is just an open T-stat hole it would have the same flow heh. But I don't know if that radiator hose inlet will be at the correct angle for SVX or not, the SVX mounts on the front of the pump, not under it. Someone would have to place their hands on one to be sure of it.