Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2012, 03:43 PM

Re: Remote Mount Turbo

@icingdeath88 thanks for the fast reply, I am not worried about emissions as I was looking at it I thought to myself it looked like it was related to the charcoal canister. I appreciate it, it's gonna get blocked off so I can get this thing running tonight.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:59 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
@icingdeath88 thanks for the fast reply, I am not worried about emissions as I was looking at it I thought to myself it looked like it was related to the charcoal canister. I appreciate it, it's gonna get blocked off so I can get this thing running tonight.
Just make sure to block off the vac line that goes to the small metal nipple (the one on the left) on top of the throttle body, otherwise you'll have a vacuum leak. Also you can get rid of the charcoal canister itself if you want.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 PM

alright, I got everything back together and went to crank it over and my fuel pump relay must have a short in the circuit because it just clicks continuously. I swapped it out with another and the same thing. I am open to suggestions at this point. Tomorrow I will start troubleshooting that circuit and see what I come up with.

Also I put the key in the ignition and used the shift lock button to get it into neutral so I could move the car farther into my carport to work on it out of the rain. Once I got the car where I wanted it the ol lady pulled the e-brake for me and shut the door. I continued working on everything for a few more hours and totally forgot that it was still in the run position when I hooked up the battery, so there may be some damage to the ecu, I don't know.

Anyways troubleshooting tomorrow, and I will keep checking here and posting progress, I would like to drive this thing tomorrow but we will see what happens. Any suggestions welcome
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 AM

ok so another update. this issue with the fuel pump relay clicking apparently isn't limited to the fuel circuit so I have stopped dead in my tracks troubleshooting it and have moved on to something strange happening. when the car is in the run position, EVERYTHING is cycling. and by everything I mean literally everything, radiator fans, injectors are clicking most of the relays under the hood in the fuse box.

ANY IDEAS?

I have checked my grounds on the engine they are tight, even the ground on the fuel pump module has something like a half an ohm of resistance.
It almost seems to me like the ECU is in some sort of test mode or something. I will take it out and check to make sure it's grounded good as well as a visual inspection. more updates to come.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 PM

I uninstalled the ECU, took the casing off of it and checked it out, nothing was burnt or fried on the top of it. I removed the circuit board from the lower half of the casing and checked that side as well, everything looks good. I reinstalled it and the car started normally. However there are some new issues.

The car doesn't want to idle at all. you have to rhythmically hit the throttle every second/second and a half to get it to stay running. I took it for a drive and there is NO POWER or throttle response at all. The only engine mods are the stage 2 tune, injectors, and MAF. Honestly the way the car feels is like it is running SUPER RICH, when driving it is really like being in one continuous misfire each cylinder taking it's turn at misfiring. The cool thing is I have already chopped and discarded the resistor in the ECU to use the tune. Can anyone take a photo of the resistor, I am gonna end up going to radio shack and getting another one to solder it back in place through a switch so I can do some further testing.

The car is totally unreliable at this point, so next on the agenda will be to re solder the resistor in place switched so I can at least put the engine back into the stock condition and have my daily driver back. At this point I will be waiting on a gasket set. Once again anyone with a photo of the resistor in place please post a pic on here. Thanks

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 03-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Registered SVX

Do you have the ECU from the '92?

If you already have the SR20 injectors, and Z32 MAF installed, you have to stick with the stage 2 ECU ROM. I'm not sure what would happen otherwise, but it can't be good. Are the rom and adapter plugged in all the way?

Also, I was wrong about something before about the purge control solenoid. Both the little vac line nipples on the throttle body are related to the EGR. The next-biggest one on the passenger side is the one that should have been blocked off.

Check all over for vacuum leaks. Did you change the intake manifold gaskets to new gaskets?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 03-04-2012, 01:55 PM

I have the ECU from the 92, the resistor was cut a while ago in preparation for the stage 2 tune. Once I got the swap done the first time and went to start it I realized I had to swap the intake wiring harness and intake manifold over, so I also chopped the resistor and used the stage 2 tune on the 94 ECU. the rom and adapter are plugged in all the way.

As far as running the stock tune on the bigger injectors and MAF that's pretty much what the car feels like, super rich and looking forward to bogging down and stalling out. I did replace the intake manifold gaskets, upper and lower. as far as the purge control solenoid one of the vacuum hoses went to the solenoid, the other went from the solenoid to the one on the passenger side top of the throttle body. I just ran a new hose from the original source, bypassed the solenoid and went to the throttle body. here are some good photos by mychailo. I didn't block off the next biggest one on the passenger side.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/30340.pdf
I will keep hunting for vacuum leaks I appreciate the reply

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 03-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 PM

o yeah, also i took out the charcoal canister, and ran a vacuum line connecting the two metal tubes together bypassing the charcoal canister, I really don't see where it will be leaking vacuum from, but I will try to take some pics of some of vacuum stuffs and post them on here
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Registered SVX

That's not what you should have done. You should have blocked off the line on the throttle body. That is a vacuum leak sucking in fuel evaporating in the fuel tank. I do not know what that would cause. First, block off that port on the throttle body. When I ditched the charcoal canister in my car, I used the line that goes to the fender well and the check valve that was along the line before it to vent it. There needs to be somewhere for the pressure in the gas tank to go, just to be on the safe side.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM

Registered SVX

You can also try using the 92 ECU with the ROM. The plugs/pinouts are the same, you can use either ECU.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:32 PM

thanks icingdeath88 I was not sure if the pinouts were the same or not, I will address these jacked vacuums I appreciate you showing the error of my ways, that may be the culprit since it is sucking in fumes from the fuel tank and it's after the MAF so it's unmetered, and it's enriched with fuel vapors, on paper it looks as tho that IS the cause but gimme a few to check it out and make some adjustments and then I will post again.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 PM

this is getting better and better. I blocked off the one line with a small bolt just for testing purposes, but now the fuel pump is not cycling, when I jump the relay the pump kicks on but apparently there is no spark either. The car was just running like an hour ago. there is some sort of wiring issue or ground issue or something join on here. I will try to wiggle wires and what not to see if I can at least narrow down some of the affected area.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:23 PM

no luck. I swapped out the ecu with the tune and still the same thing. It's like earlier but instead of cycling everything, it seems as though the ignition circuit is dead and the only thing functioning properly is the crank circuit. seems like if i wiggle some random wires then it may run, but as of now I am cranking a dead engine over. I will keep poking around to see what I can come up with.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM

ok another update. I am running the 92 ECU with the stage 2 ROM. the 94 intake and intake wiring harness, on the 92 block.

If you can break the ignition circuit down to 2 sub circuits:

then it acts like sub circuit 1 is working properly which would be the dash gauges, dash lights, and the starter circuit. these all seem to be working properly.

Sub circuit 2 seems as if it's not functioning at all, which would be the fuel pump, injectors, and spark, and possibly MAF readings. the reason I suspect something like this, is because when I jump the fuel pump relay, the pump comes on, but the vehicle still won't start. I am gonna hit it with some starting fluid, that will tell me if the "spark circuit" is working or not. If it runs on starting fluid then spark is good, and injectors aren't opening.

I have replaced the fuel pump relay, and the main relay. still same issue. I will run some tests and get back on here with results.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
ok another update. I am running the 92 ECU with the stage 2 ROM. the 94 intake and intake wiring harness, on the 92 block.

If you can break the ignition circuit down to 2 sub circuits:

then it acts like sub circuit 1 is working properly which would be the dash gauges, dash lights, and the starter circuit. these all seem to be working properly.

Sub circuit 2 seems as if it's not functioning at all, which would be the fuel pump, injectors, and spark, and possibly MAF readings. the reason I suspect something like this, is because when I jump the fuel pump relay, the pump comes on, but the vehicle still won't start. I am gonna hit it with some starting fluid, that will tell me if the "spark circuit" is working or not. If it runs on starting fluid then spark is good, and injectors aren't opening.

I have replaced the fuel pump relay, and the main relay. still same issue. I will run some tests and get back on here with results.
Turn the key on, and check for 12V at the injectors, and the Ign coils.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.