Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX World Network Official Group Buys > Group Buys
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Ray, the problem was that the link itself came into contact (as far as I know anyway) with a fitting, and that it broke it and fluid came out.

Anyway, if you haven't had problems yet, I doubt you will, but if you could just get under there and see if you have plenty of clearance between the swaybar-endlink mounting bolts and the brake caliper, that'll let you know where we sit.
Nevin,

Just checked my end links (2002 Mazda Protege) and I do see how they could come into contact with the brake fittings but the car was not under any loads/stress. This upgrade completely solved the noise issue and my SVX handles great.

Ray
Old 10-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvalleyray View Post
Nevin,

Just checked my end links (2002 Mazda Protege) and I do see how they could come into contact with the brake fittings but the car was not under any loads/stress. This upgrade completely solved the noise issue and my SVX handles great.
I am not sure how comfortable i would feel about having about having to choose between a quiet ride and the possibility of losing my brakes unexpectedly at any time when the car was under stress (spirited driving, tight turns, autocrossing, etc.)

And for those who haven't seen it, Here is a youtube video of ZMan's 94 SVX With the Bontrager sway bar installed and heim endlinks. He mounted a camera underneath the car and filmed it working at speed.

VIDEO

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 10-13-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Registered SVX

OT, I pmd you two days ago, need some answers
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I am not sure how comfortable i would feel about having about having to choose between a quiet ride and the possibility of losing my brakes unexpectedly at any time when the car was under stress (spirited driving, tight turns, autocrossing, etc.)

And for those who haven't seen it, Here is a youtube video of ZMan's 94 SVX With the Bontrager sway bar installed and heim endlinks. He mounted a camera underneath the car and filmed it working at speed.

VIDEO

Think I should clarify what I meant by "could come into contact with brake fittings"...after inspecting my Mazda end links last night, I concluded that it might be physically possible for the end links to hit the rubber brake line under extreme conditions but highly unlikely. What I failed to mention, the same would be true with the original end links - I do not see any difference in that possibility. Regardless of what end links you have I find it hard to believe that this could ever happen and even if it did, I don't see how it would cause brake failure - the lines are rubber and somewhat flexible. The fact that this was never a problem with the original end links supports that point. Sorry for not being clear, that was not my intention.

Ray
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Maybe stainless steel lines offer more protection. Aging rubber brake lines may be more susceptible. Would worn rear struts add to the possibility?

I think OT ought to comment here with more information on the failure. Seems like the mounting bolts were a different size, not sure. I thought he said that the top bolt on the anti-sway bar link on the passenger side had contacted the banjo bolt to the caliper, causing a brake fluid loss.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 10-13-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Maybe over bend the sway bar some more to move it more toward the center of the car (away from the caliper)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-13-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Sorry to take forever responding to you folks here. i haven't checked the boards in a while, and for some reason I wasn't getting emails from the network when people replied to the thread! I apologize very much for my truancy!

So, that out of the way...

There IS a possible solution, and it involves using an OEM mazda rear endlink. HOWEVER, just in the last few days, OT ran into some big problems with those and until I can figure out what went wrong, i will not be giving that part number out to anyone. What happened involved an endlink coming into contact with a brake fitting and an immedate loss of brakes.

The benefits of the heim joint link are: incredible strength, good movement capabilities, and ease of installation.

The most obvious effect of one of these is, however, the noise they can create. I've been telling people to keep them lubed and it does help a ton, but I know it's not the most convenient thing to crawl under your car and oil them .

Now, on the most recent bar i sold (which belongs to 92svx) I sent him an experimental set of endlinks. I'm waiting for his review to see if the same noise problem comes up, and if not I'm going to send a few more out to current owners and see if we have a winner. They are still a heimjoint style, but have a tefton skirt on the end to help keep crap out. I would love to try to find one that has grease zerks in the end, but so far I haven't found anything.

However, if that doesn't work I still have a few things left to try. I just want to cross off one thing at a time here.

The bar really does enhance the car's handling in a way that I thought a simple part would not do, but dang if the rattle in the back doesn't get old...

So please, rest assured that I AM trying to find a solution (in between work, life, etc...) and that yes, a new batch of abrs will be available soon. I know I said that earlier this summer, but... WOW I had quite a summer. Now that things have calmed down susbstantially, I can get back to work on these things.

p.s. icingdeath, I still haven't received your old links back. Maybe I didn't communicate clearly, but I did need them back so I could send them to the manufacturer. I have a place make these specifically for this car, so when I told them that yours were acting up, they said they'd like to look at them to see if they can improve the design, and figure out what went wrong. Email me back if you like. nevinbontrager@gmail.com
I am not sure if this is the case for anyone else, but for me, once the heim joints are lubed they are whisper quiet. However, once the lubrication is dry the joints begin to rattle. To combat this, I have been researching these:

http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp

I am in contact with the company and will hopefully be ordering a set of the 14mm boots tomorrow. Once these boots are packed with grease I am hoping that the endlinks will be acceptably quiet and still allow us to maintain the excellent performance of the heim joints.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Maybe stainless steel lines offer more protection. Aging rubber brake lines may be more susceptible. Would worn rear struts add to the possibility?

I think OT ought to comment here with more information on the failure. Seems like the mounting bolts were a different size, not sure. I thought he said that the top bolt on the anti-sway bar link on the passenger side had contacted the banjo bolt to the caliper, causing a brake fluid loss.

Good suggestion regarding the SS brake lines, think with the age of our cars all rubber parts are of suspect. I also agree that it would be beneficial to hear from OT regarding what he knows about this potential brake problem/failure. I have been communicating with him privately so he knows the end links I used.

Regarding the top bolt contacting the bolt on the caliper...I cannot see how that could happen with the mazda end links. There is approximately the same tolerances as with the stock end links if my memory is correct. Perhaps someone has installed the end links on the outside (closer to the calipers) then everyone else. If that is the case I could see all kinds of potential problems. Thanks for suggestions, hopefully we can collective solve this potential problem for I would hate to see any of us lose our brakes!

Ray
Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Maybe stainless steel lines offer more protection. Aging rubber brake lines may be more susceptible. Would worn rear struts add to the possibility?I think OT ought to comment here with more information on the failure. Seems like the mounting bolts were a different size, not sure. I thought he said that the top bolt on the anti-sway bar link on the passenger side had contacted the banjo bolt to the caliper, causing a brake fluid loss..
OK, It was the top bolt that contacted the banjo bolt at the brake line on the passenger side caliper.
It did not break the bolt, but nuged it enough for a fluid loss, causing the pedal to go to all the way to the floor, slowly.
Perhaps MY Nevin bar is wider than the rest?
When I get the chance to work on my Pearlie, I will measure the width.
Evan with the adjustable links reinstalled and at their shortest adjustment, there is only about 1/4" of clearance between the top bolt and the banjo bolt.
On the drivers side its about 1/2".
Huck, I really dont want to bend a hardened bar.
A set of 150-155mm links would fix it on my Pearlie.
John, the suspension is stock and the springs and struts are in good shape.
So sagging is not an issue with it.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
OK, It was the top bolt that contacted the banjo bolt at the brake line on the passenger side caliper.
It did not break the bolt, but nuged it enough for a fluid loss, causing the pedal to go to all the way to the floor, slowly.
Evan with the adjustable links reinstalled and at their shortest adjustment, there is only about 1/4" of clearance between the top bolt and the banjo bolt.
OT,

Thanks for the update. I will go out to the garage and measure the distance between end link bolt and banjo bolt, hopefully that will help.

Ray
Old 10-13-2011, 05:56 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
OT,

Thanks for the update. I will go out to the garage and measure the distance between end link bolt and banjo bolt, hopefully that will help.

Ray
Please note that as the suspension unloads, the clearance is decreased.
So that when resting the clearance is greater.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
OT,

I have about 1/4" on either side. It would seem that it would make sense for Nevin to bend the bars so there is more space. Do you agree?

Ray
Old 10-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Exactly what are we talking about with these tight clearances? Is this something unique to Tom's pearlie?

Photo of my right end link while in the air. I assume the end of the strut should move upward somewhat when on the ground, closer to the brake line.

I am surprised YT did not see this potential problem when installing them, 1/4" is a pretty thin margin.

Will try to get this same photo of the link (and measurements) with the car on the ground.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swaybar 3_Closeup.jpg (82.8 KB, 864 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 10-13-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:00 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
OT,

I have about 1/4" on either side. It would seem that it would make sense for Nevin to bend the bars so there is more space. Do you agree?

Ray
Ray, can you measure the width of your bar,
the outside to outside?

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 PM
There's a storm coming.

John, can you measure the outside to outside at the end of the flat part?

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link