Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 05:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
I'll keep you posted on a cost. I need to ship them some stock gaskets. Do you have any in fairly decent shape we could send to them? I'm going to also need to ship my heads. Do you know if they are exactly symmetrical?

I'm interested in the gaskets, also. If Tom cant find any gaskets, I have a set of gaskets on order. It should be here in a week or two. I have my engine completely disassembled and ready to ship out. I just need to find a machine shop to send everything too. Anyone go a number for ESX, so I can send the block and heads to have them work them?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I'm also interested in the head gaskets.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-12-2007, 08:11 AM

Gaskets and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
I'm interested in the gaskets, also. If Tom cant find any gaskets, I have a set of gaskets on order. It should be here in a week or two. I have my engine completely disassembled and ready to ship out. I just need to find a machine shop to send everything too. Anyone go a number for ESX, so I can send the block and heads to have them work them?
Mike:

I will get back in touch with Gasket works and see what kind of a deal they can give us for 3 pairs of gaskets. I still need to pull my engine. As for your head work, I was kind of hoping that LAN was going to offer the work. He was also looking at a light port and polish I belive. I would definitely prefer he did this than someone else. I may end up doing the bottom end locally, because I want to use his pistons with his valves. Only problem is I'll probably be 3rd (or more) in line behind you good S/C customers.

Harvey:

I think you bring up some good points. Especially the comparison between Nitrous and FI. It may be possible that the nitrous is a much cooler running system than the FI. This may have affected the stress on the pistons. I really don't know. As for detonation, I have a detonation sensor mounted to my motor and connected to my Tec II. If I sensed any predetonation (not audible) I backed off on the timing. The tec II also uses manifold pressure, temperature, rpm, and volumetric efficiency to calculate fuel and air flow. I never had any fuel starving going on. Always running rich. I also run water injection, which comes on the minute my manifold pressure goes over atmospheric pressure. Trust me we have tried.

Tom is very patient. He said has destroyed 5 motors? It is time to move on and try something different. I am worred about the next stage from a cooling standpoint, and hope that it works out for us. I do enjoy your input and hope that you continue to monitor our progress.

Take Care
Old 02-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
But it is ok if its Nitro.
Harvey.
Nitrous is not run all the time... Pur cars are contantly under boost and pressure while nitrous has ver limited use... notice that my engine held up for 10k miles on 12psi? run nitrous for 10kmiles and let me know where your motor is at

Tom
Old 02-12-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Mike:

Only problem is I'll probably be 3rd (or more) in line behind you good S/C customers.

Take Care

I dont think you'll have to wait any ionger then the rest of us. LAN isnt producing the pistons in house. He'll be ordering them from another company, and will want as many people to get in on a order as possible. The larger the order he can put together the cheaper the individual price will be. Now as far as the CAMS and valves go I'm not to sure how he pans on doing that. I spoke to him earlier today. He's a little behind on things, but the piston came in and he's going to try and get it out to the manufacturer this week. I'd expect him to post in the next 2 weeks or so to put together a group order with us. I know he cant order the valves until the Cams are made and he makes some measurements off of them.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Nitrous is not run all the time... Pur cars are contantly under boost and pressure while nitrous has ver limited use... notice that my engine held up for 10k miles on 12psi? run nitrous for 10kmiles and let me know where your motor is at

Tom

Now, Now Tom lets be truthful. The supercharger is in by-pass when your at idle, and cruising. Of course the only time I'm cruising or idling is while I'm waiting to line up at the tree, or traveling to/from the track.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yeah... my point exaclty

Tom
Old 02-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
STi rods weigh

595.5 g (thanks Ron!)...so they're ~65g heavier than the Eagle rods (which means the Eagle rods are ~90g lighter than the stock rods!)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 02-12-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I guess i'll start a piston thread pretty soon. I guess here is as good as anywhere to say all those who want to order pistons in the first batch get ready to order. We will be ordering them sometime this week.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:28 AM

Pistons and gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
I guess i'll start a piston thread pretty soon. I guess here is as good as anywhere to say all those who want to order pistons in the first batch get ready to order. We will be ordering them sometime this week.
I'm in for pistons.

Mr. Gasket requested a photo of a head gasket. He may have a template for this already. If anyone has a complete photo or can point me in the correct direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Chuck D.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I'm in for pistons.

Mr. Gasket requested a photo of a head gasket. He may have a template for this already. If anyone has a complete photo or can point me in the correct direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Chuck D.

I have a photo posted in my public folder, in the "Engine Build up" folder (warning, large picture). Both sides appear to be identical.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
*Looks at pics*....Do you seriously have a pet peacock?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-20-2007, 05:40 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
I'm in for pistons.

Thanks

Chuck D.
One of these days you need to just drive up and we will intercool your setup in a weekend. You seem as though you want to go that direction and I am not gonna lie, i would like to fab some stuff, getting the itch.

phil
Old 02-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
I have a photo posted in my public folder, in the "Engine Build up" folder (warning, large picture). Both sides appear to be identical.
Thanks. I'll send it to Mr. Gasket and let you know if they have the template.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
One of these days you need to just drive up and we will intercool your setup in a weekend. You seem as though you want to go that direction and I am not gonna lie, i would like to fab some stuff, getting the itch.

phil
I would love to. Too bad you live in Wisconsin. I was actually planning to do this next before I started getting blowby. It is the first thing I will do after rebuilding the engine. That and increasing the exhaust size to 3". Thanks for the offer.