Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: alternator wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
The mega fuses/holders are available at amazon.com. I ordered stuff to do my alternator wiring/battery relocation to trunk mod in a few weeks.
I'm too impatient to wait that long...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amazon.jpg (110.9 KB, 557 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 AM

Registered SVX

call your local auto parts supplier and see if they can order it, thats what i did, took 2 days and order an extra fuse in case a)one's a dud b) you blow it on the road
Old 10-03-2011, 12:30 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Yes, hence the "few weeks" till I'll be doing mine. But I'm not exactly in a hurry, got plenty of other projects going on. Anyway, I meant that more for future reference than right now.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX

More than a little frustrated..

Followed the instructions for the wire upgrade..... buttoned it up... and I get :
Battery light, Steering, ABS, Stoplamp.... sigh.... I think I screwed up a splice......

Voltage to the battery is good.... all the fuses have power... I'm stumped
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Check the small wires going to the plug on the alt.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
The plug is brittle and one of the wires that I spliced did come lose... but I have to be off to work... I'll check it tomorrow... also...anyone know if there are replacement plugs for the alternator?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
what are those wires in the plug for?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncamitzi View Post
The plug is brittle and one of the wires that I spliced did come lose... but I have to be off to work... I'll check it tomorrow... also...anyone know if there are replacement plugs for the alternator?

My original source used to be Northwest Regulator Supply. They only deal with manufacturers now.

But you can buy them directly from their distributor Electric Motor Service in Logan, WV. Their phone number is 800- 697-6070

The part number is 050-012252 and they go for $9.53 each plus shipping with no minimum. I already ordered two more.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 10-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
what are those wires in the plug for?

On the plastic connector, one wire is the field sense wire, that energizes the alternator when the ignition is on. Also monitors battery voltage and uses the regulator to supply additional voltage on demand

The other wire goes to the idiot light on the dash, turning it off when the alternator is charging.

If you are replacing the plug, make sure to keep the wires from getting switched around. Remove only one wire at a time and reconnect to the new plug to avoid confusion..

The original OEM plug has two wires of different thicknesses, the replacement plug has both wires the same size. Mark them however you want when changing them.

Last edited by svxcess; 10-03-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:52 PM

no but it's mine and I'm pictured.. terrible side shot. I have since took off the upgrade, since it blew an alternator or it's the only explanation. well perhaps a bad one from the shop. I left the negative ground in place.. now It's time to GET another alternator.. I still have my OEM core.. Yes I want it for a rebuild. got the other from Napa lifetime replacement and I think it's an HO.. not the 160 that I'd like to put.. perhaps I need to re investigate these wiring upgrades, from earth grounds, battery, alternator and so forth. As I do have a few things I wanna add.. HIDs for one.. and perhaps a sound upgrade.. I dunno need to find the wires or order.. I remember long ago Beave saying there needed to be an In Line fuse.. Glad it got included.

Happy driving to all.
svx1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Zeppelin; "Dude, This is not your car!"
John;"I like soup!"

John Hoffman;Date of Birth:
August 11th, 1844
Old 10-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
My original source used to be Northwest Regulator Supply. They only deal with manufacturers now.

But you can buy them directly from their distributor Electric Motor Service in Logan, WV. Their phone number is 800- 697-6070

The part number is 050-012252 and they go for $9.53 each plus shipping with no minimum. I already ordered two more.

I'm betting that the shipping for one will be more than 9.53....
Old 10-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX

Ok...wiring is done...and working...interesting side note..... for the past 3 years I've had to push the sunroof to start it when I wanted it opened...today..after all the wiring to the alternator was redone..... I just pressed the button and it opened by itself....whodathought?
Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncamitzi View Post
Ok... wiring is done... and working.
Interesting side note..... for the past 3 years I've had to push the sunroof to start it when I wanted it opened... today,after all the wiring to the alternator was redone, I just pressed the button and it opened by itself.

whodathought?

i have found that the wiring mod can increase battery voltage by almost 2 volts.

in the case of your tired sunroof motor, that may be all it needed to bring it back to proper health.

Glad everything is back to normal. in the world of gremlins, the electrical ones have got to be the worst!

Last edited by svxcess; 10-04-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX

I still have the code 34 EGR solenoid to hash out... but somehow.... that doesn't seem as important now that I'm not stalling out from a standing start.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX

OK.... raining and cold here...went for a longish drive 30 miles, parked, and on the way back it's almost like my car rebooted... ABS light came on...clock reset... I'm thinking I have a short on the alternator wire I've just replaced.... any other ideas?