Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2011, 06:36 PM

Re: Individual Throttle Bodies and Improved Airflow

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction, I liked the simplicity of the unit but was concened we were losing some of the befits I wanted to gain. I plan to take a couple of days off work to see if I can speed up this job.

I will post a cad of the airbox when I get a rough design, really appricate the guidance guys.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Tony, two separate air-boxes would still have the sides divided. The three cylinders would develop an oscillating surge, like the Inertia system, that would interfere with the air flow. With one box the cylinder inlet air demands overlap, so the surge would not happen.

The main point would be to ensure that the area of the box where the trumpets open into it, needs to be twice the diameter of the inlet pipe to allow sufficient expansion of the wave.

Harvey.
forget the EZ30 manifold idea then, too small. It's plastic BTW.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/85/25...57e853c5_o.jpg

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

EZ30 manifold is design for torque
Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 AM

I think I am going to have a bit of drama with the front pipe on the right clearing the bonnet. Its also having to be turned back to clear the power steering as well. I might get 10mm by changing out the engine mounts but I may have to trim the bottom of the pipe to shorten them up. Only drama with that is they have a flange that I would to to find a way to replace it.

You can clearly see the drama here in this photo. At the back of the engine we has 100mm of clearance so its not a problem.

I have been playing around with facing the pipes backwards, not sure that gains much,
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:28 AM

Here is the draft airbox & air filter. Coments and suggestions are greatly appricated.

Tony
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Twin head.pdf (2.07 MB, 264 views)
Old 05-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Did a bit of a redsign and I think I have got around the height problem by moving the pipes back at 45 degree, also I have decided to build it out of Aluminum reason being I have the sheet here at well as all the gear to get the job done. Only issues is my welding leaves a lot to be desired. Last but not least I am going to mount them on the race car to make sure all the clearance etc work before I go much further.
Here is the new pdf. Remember its 3D so if you click on it you can turn it etc.
Have a great day.
Tony
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Twin Head 2.pdf (1.87 MB, 263 views)
Old 05-24-2011, 04:34 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Looks great and I bet aluminum will work fine even if it's not as cool as carbon fiber. You're going to have that open rectangle be an air filter? Makes sense.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

BAH! You're going to let a crappy OEM PS reservoir mess up all your cosmetics and placement?!?!?!? Make you're own PS reservoir off the airbox with a feed line down to the pump!!!

If you're feeling up to it, template and make all your airbox bits then you can ship to me and I'll tig it all up for you nice and pretty free of charge. You just pay shipping

Keep plugging away at it.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:33 AM

Hi Adam thats a great offer, I will see how I go.

The problem is not the PS unit its the bonnet the engine leans back so much that at the front the ram pipe won't clear the bonnet but at the back there is a 100mm clearance.
I gather you think we need to go straight, if so the only way is to lower them which is not easy due to the flange on the pipes. See attached photo.
What do you think?

Tony
Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 AM

hmm would a power bulge look out of place ?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:20 AM
Porsche Autofanatiker

How does that flange affix to and secure the pipe to the TB? Two piece collar around the base once the flange is slid over the end, or does that oring secure it? doesn't seems too solid if you know what i mean.

how thick are those four-bolt flanges there for the pipes? ~1/4" or so? cut and trim the pipe to clear and weld to flange?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:49 AM

The flange is 10mm thick, what happens is the flange slides over the pipe and then the O ring. The flange is then pulled down against the O ring to lock it. It is a good system as it allows the pipe to lock up solid. I built the flanges so I can make a new set if needed.
Your suggestion of welding is a good one and makes it easier to get the pipes into the airbox if they are straight.

One question do you think we need to work in a MAF to be able to work out the airflow?
Tony
Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

All depends on how you're planning to tune the car and what EMS you're going to run.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 AM

Hve finished the face plates for the rollers not happy with 2 of them so will need to redo. Had to fit a 4th axis to the mill today which would have been okay expect the computer hard drive decided to die so I have to fit another one I had. Anyway its all good and I have fitted the bearing in the plates on a couple of rollers and they all work out great. I think I will shim the plates to get the perfect load on bearings.
Will post photo tomorrow.
Tony
Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Nice, what 4th axis did you get?