Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484
I love when people throw in the "you think that way cause your a bush
fanatic" card... How Imature...
Sorry, its an inside joke for anybody who's up on the current political scene. I guess you're not one of 'em.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
Old age often leads to loss of coordination, slower reaction times, poor vision, tiredness, and poor hearing. Please explain how that doesn't harm your driving?

But I agree, we can't discriminate, test the teenagers too! And then only give them a license if they pass the test! Brilliant!!!
You just made my point for me. Often, isn't always. Please explain how these issues are limited to only the elderly. Maybe you need me to enlarge it so you can read the print though.

Remember, teenagers still maintain the highest level of wrecks per capitia in the us and they have the bets coord, best reaction time, best vision and best hearing. I guess these as important as you think.

Again, you're not understanding. Testing the elderly and teenagers is again illegal. Might want to read up on your constitution and constitutional law.

Last edited by benebob; 12-20-2006 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
If they take away our licenses when we turn 60, how will we get home from the bar?
Robert, this is an important point, maybe even a critical one. You might not have thought it completely through, though.

Much more important is how the heck are we going to get TO the bar??

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-20-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Are you serious?

I'm sorry, but yes, age plays a SIGNIFICANT role with the ability to drive, where as color of skin has nothing to so with said driving ability. It is a FACT that old age, and at no particular numerical age as onset can widely vary, increases the rate of deteriation of both physical and mental capacities that are neccesary for operating a motor vehicle safely. This is a FACT of life. It is not discriminatory as it is a part of a human's life cycle. To ignore this fact and just accept that we have people who are incapable of driving on the road is ridiculous.

On a seperate note, if the United states didn't have a joke for a driver's education program, it is likely there would be fewer people on the road that are truly incapable of driving. I would not mind testing, however I would prefer almost any organization other than the IL DMV perform this testing.
Old people make mistakes on accident because they are phsycially unable to operate the vehicle in a safe and effective manner.

Young people cause wrecks because they do not have the experience or wisdom that would teach them why it is a mistake. Young people pay up the ass in insurance because of this lack of experience. Old people cause wrecks because they are too proud to admit that they can't drive anymore, or they are not responsible enough to understand when that point has come. If they don't do this, there needs to be legislation that forces the issue.
To some extent you're speaking some truth but you're stereotyping groups which is a lot of the reason why what you're asking is and always should be illegal. I'm not denying that per mile driven the group with the highest accidents per mile is the 80+ crowd, they are also the vechicles emiting the most polution as they tend to be older, less maintained and often exempted from emissions.

Case in point for the saftey nazies out there. What age do you want to start testing drivers?
50?, 60?, 70? What about the 45 year old 70s loud rock music fan who can't hear, hasn't been to an eye doctor in 25 years and has ms but it was never diagnosised as he doesn't have health insurance and hasn't had a physical in 20 years. Ya think he's a better driver as he's younger? Age may increase one's likelyhood of having issues but youngness doesn't exclude one either.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:08 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
You just made my point for me. Often, isn't always. Please explain how these issues are limited to only the elderly. Maybe you need me to enlarge it so you can read the print though.

Remember, teenagers still maintain the highest level of wrecks per capitia in the us and they have the bets coord, best reaction time, best vision and best hearing. I guess these as important as you think.

Again, you're not understanding. Testing the elderly and teenagers is again illegal. Might want to read up on your constitution and constitutional law.
There are a select handful of people who don't experience (at least to a noticable level) the symptoms associated with old age. My use of the modifier 'often' implies it happens more than it does not. If it was true (which it was for a while there..) that people 'often' get e.coli from Taco Bell, would you go buy a burrito?

While you're getting your enchilada, I'm going to look in the constitution for the amendment which makes it illegal to test elderly drivers. Mr. Jefferson and crew must have really been thinking ahead!

P.S. You might want to reread whatever you have (or have not) read of constitutional law. There is no law protecting age discrimination for the young.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-20-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
P.S. You might want to reread whatever you have (or have not) read of constitutional law. There is no law protecting age discrimination for the young.
Really, since when is the Bill of Rights laws. Sure there is no law protecting from age discrimination, however, the courts decide and poltically the AARP is the biggest person based lobbiest in the nation already (only 1/2 the baby boomers are included).

1+1=2

As I said, you'd need to understand constitutional law to have a clue. Constitutional law is theory and law based on interpreting the constitution and FYI there, elder testing has been struck down in all but 1 lower court when it came up for review.

Personally, I think you and anybody else is an idiot for limiting driver testing to only the old because age is only 1 factor in being a bad driver, not the end all. You're method will lead to more idiots still on the road. Maybe you're afraid you'll fail your test.

Then again, I already said you're brilliant so I'm sure you're still stuck on that one.

Last edited by benebob; 12-20-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:18 AM

Registered SVX
142 mph in a WRX & he said he was in a hurry? LIGHTWEIGHT!
He should have bought an STI 8!

Do you guys get penalty points for speeding & traffic offences and then when you have reached a limit get a ban? its 12 over here.

For 142mph he would be looking at an 18 month minimum ban & at least 3 months prison! A friend of mine was clocked at 136 on a Fireblade and given 22 month ban, £780 fine and 9 weeks in prison! and he had a clean licence!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
142 mph in a WRX & he said he was in a hurry? LIGHTWEIGHT!
He should have bought an STI 8!

Do you guys get penalty points for speeding & traffic offences and then when you have reached a limit get a ban? its 12 over here.

For 142mph he would be looking at an 18 month minimum ban & at least 3 months prison! A friend of mine was clocked at 136 on a Fireblade and given 22 month ban, £780 fine and 9 weeks in prison! and he had a clean licence!

The points systems are dependant on state. Typically the state you have your license in rather than the state you recieved your offense in.

If the driver of said vehicle hires a good lawyer, he will most likely get off with a speeding ticket only. This speeding ticket will cost him maybe 250-400$ and he will have the offense on his record. If he gets a reckless driving ticket, the fiscal penalty will be higher (500-1000$) and may face a few days in jail, but most likely not.

If it is his first offense, he most likely will not have a "ban" (we call it a suspended license). If he gets hit with both offenses, and has a prior speeding ticket, his license may be suspended between 3 months and a year. Not likely to be more than that.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-20-2006, 10:56 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Personally, I think you and anybody else is an idiot for limiting driver testing to only the old because age is only 1 factor in being a bad driver, not the end all. You're method will lead to more idiots still on the road. Maybe you're afraid you'll fail your test.
Well, if you test the elderly (or any group for that matter) and they fail they should be taken off the road. I'm not particularily sure as to how this will lead to "more idiots still on the road". I do believe it would lead to less idiots on the road, because if my arithmetic is correct 2-1=1. If I'm wrong, then perhaps testing isn't the answer. Maybe they should just be put out to pasture, or will they still continue to multiply?

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Unfortunately taking their license away will not keep them all off the roads...but it's a good start. I think everyone should be retested every 5 years.

I also agree age isn't the only factor to detemine a driver's ability. We even have TV shows celebrating these people:

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/worstdriver/

I just took their quiz on that site and got 10/10 on my first try without cheating.

Last edited by Earthworm; 12-20-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:52 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Unfortunately taking their license away will not keep them all off the roads...but it's a good start. I think everyone should be retested every 5 years.

I also agree age isn't the only factor to detemine a driver's ability. We even have TV shows celebrating these people:

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/worstdriver/

I just took their quiz on that site and got 10/10 on my first try without cheating.
8/10 here, but only cause of the metric system!

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
I got 9/10. Apparently mudflaps are required by law. Guess my station wagon's illegal then.

I sincerely wanted to punch the kid with the civic in the face.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Robert, this is an important point, maybe even a critical one. You might not have thought it completely through, though.

Much more important is how the heck are we going to get TO the bar??

Ahhh heck! What a great point! How are we??

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Took the test twice (asked different questions both times), got 8/10 the first time and 9/10 the second. Questions I kept getting wrong were the metric distances to be away from fire hydrants, railroad tracks, etc.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-24-2006, 09:05 AM
No longer blue member

To further illustrate my point, the old guy I previously mentioned rear-ended a cop car stopped at a red light today....

01' MSM Lexus IS300