Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Re: SMALL single turbo project, thoughts welcome!

Went ahead and shelled out the money for the turbo...I didn't want to end up waiting 3 weeks for shipping when all the rest of the kit is done. $150 shipped to my door, lol. Gotta love China. 6-month warranty if professionally installed. Fortunately for me, their definition of professionally installed means by an ASE-certified mechanic, which it just so happens is my day job

I've been told there are only about 2-3 manufacturers that make the knock-off 16Gs...and that the quality is pretty good from one of them, and crap from the others so it's hit-or-miss...but turbos are VERY simple devices, so I've got no problem going with a cheapo for this build, particularly considering I know that I'll be hungry for more power pretty soon anyway.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Ok, I'll be running a sandwich plate. I've got an 1/8 NPT to -4AN adapter that has a built in 25 micron screen, so I'll always only have clean oil going to the turbo. I will not be running a restrictor, and am still thinking I'll stick with the catch-can and scavenge pump plan. The drain line from the turbo to the catch can will be 5/8" to get it out of there in a hurry, and if I'm correct, the outlet of the pump is 3/8", so I'll be running a 3/8" return line from there to high on the oil pan.

I found what appears to be a cheaper knock-off of the already cheap chinese pump I'm buying, so I'm strongly considering the dual-scavenge pump idea, with that one as a back-up. In any case, my oiling system should be more than sufficient.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 PM

Fun little update, I put the car together tonight...half-assed just so I could pull it in and out of the shop instead of pushing. It fired right up on E-85 and the top feed injectors. It idles like crap due to the massive amount of vacuum stuff I've eliminated and temporarily blocked off...but it does run and drive, and sounds mean as hell with no exhaust The project will resume when I return from the Thanksgiving trip on Sunday night! Have a great holiday everyone!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephTheChef View Post
Fun little update, I put the car together tonight...half-assed just so I could pull it in and out of the shop instead of pushing. It fired right up on E-85 and the top feed injectors. It idles like crap due to the massive amount of vacuum stuff I've eliminated and temporarily blocked off...but it does run and drive, and sounds mean as hell with no exhaust The project will resume when I return from the Thanksgiving trip on Sunday night! Have a great holiday everyone!
Good show
Happy Thanksgiving to all
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 11-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Well, just getting ready to depart on my trip...thought I'd pop in with a few more small bits of information before I left.

I measured the ground clearance from my lowest exhaust pipe, and it's about 6" with the car sitting on the ground. I'm posting a pic, but the pipe wasn't tightened to the turbo at that point, and it actually sits a little bit higher when tightened down. Again, ignore the ****ty welds. I'll be TIG-ing over everything once I get the new mask and fresh consummables. It won't look great even then, but it'll be solid.

Also, a picture of the car straight on, with me sitting in the floor in front of it. The camera is centered at about the bottom of the license plate bracket. You've got to get REALLY low to be able to see any of the piping. Yay sleeper. It'll be even harder to see once it's nice and flat-blacked.

Lastly, a picture of the intercooler just sat in the other side. That's not going to be it's exact final position, but just to show that it fits just fine. The outlet comes up to within an inch or so of the hole in the fender for the stock air inlet

Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

good stuff man. Keep up the good work and have a good thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2010, 12:53 PM

Just popping in on my mom's phone. I've been polishing my fuel and timing maps and reviewing the 50 or so photos I took. I've got some new ideas and can't wait to get back and get back to work on this car. Doing a lot of reading through the service manuals to further develop my plans for vacuum routing and such. Hope everyone is having a fat and happy holiday!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Gawd dude....Sunday? I gotta wait until Sunday for an update?? *sigh* Sucks!
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 11-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Sigh...well, if I can talk my mom into going home tonight instead of in the morning then I may actually have a meaningful update tomorrow night. I think I have a plan to fix my vacuum routingvso that I can plug the MAF in and actually go for an E85 powered drive.

I am planning on running the stock tune for now, with my aggressive tune in the switchable slot. That way I'll be able to compare the tunes before I finish up the Turbo project. Fun fun. Looking forward to playing with thevnew welding mask too. Update tomorrow or Monday for sure!
Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Yes....
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 11-28-2010, 07:01 PM

I hooked up the primary idle control and it idles like a dream now on E70. Have eliminated: EGR, evap, PCV, etc. Basically anything that requires a vacuum hose apart from the brake booster, and the primary idle control valve has been eliminated. I dare say it's idling even smoother than it did before, perhaps I had an injector issue with one of the stock injectors, or a vacuum leak in one of the lines I've capped, as it always had a very slight miss at idle up until now.

I took a video with my phone, quality sucks of course...particularly the sound (which is the cool part) but I'll post it as soon as I figure out how to convert it to a playable format. Didn't take it for a drive as it would simply be too loud. That'll have to wait for daytime, or until I get a chance to finish up the exhaust.

Changing the oil and filter tonight. That oil has probably 300 miles on it, but it's a year old and I don't think I had a filter last time, so the filter is much older. Oil was still clean and looked good, but better safe than sorry. I'll change it now, and again when I've got the oil lines/cooler all done. Video shortly (I hope).

Last edited by ZephTheChef; 11-28-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Ok, let's try this. Keep in mind, cell-phone video. It's ****ty and the sound sucks...but it idles perfectly. Also keep in mind, there's no exhaust on it whatsoever. Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lH0XG17K4s

Last edited by ZephTheChef; 11-28-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephTheChef View Post
Ok, let's try this. Keep in mind, cell-phone video. It's ****ty and the sound sucks...but it idles perfectly. Also keep in mind, there's no exhaust on it whatsoever. Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lH0XG17K4s

Nasty! I like it!

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Well just the fact that you already have it together has already far surpassed my expectations. Usually a project like this will get held up by something and put on the backburner. Just don't get distracted now Use the momentum while you've got it.

Reminds me though... I should figure out why my blue car idles a bit rough...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Wait, I'm confused. It's turbocharged now, or not? Cause why is the stock airbox in place?

Sorry, I am sure I missed something.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!