Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2008, 04:26 AM
SVXless

Working on this one right now as I type. I feel like I'm baking a little SVX cake Been having a little trouble getting the dang thing to want to come apart... seems like 1992 was a good year for adhesives.

I finished all 5 lights in about 5 hours and here's a shot I took tonight on the cell phone. These are just the parking lights.

Last edited by joe62890; 01-07-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en View Post
you asked

What about the reverse lights?? are those diffusers in there as well??? it looks like those still have stuff in them and don't look as clear as the rest
Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
I did mine last night. Friggen sweet. The only part I dont like about it is the side markers look weird with one bulb in the center of this huge light. im going to autozone soon to look at some LED's, or maybe cut the diffuser to where the center part covers the bulb.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-15-2009, 07:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy'sSVX
Re: Your opinion please

Bringing this thread back!

Okay so i was looking at this and thinking..

If i took them apart and used some spray tint on the inside of the red part, would the glue still adhere to each piece so i could put it back together? Or would i have troubles there?

-Jeremy-

1994 Barcelona Red LS 97,xxx miles
Mods:
- JVC Indash head unit, polk 6.5's, 6X9's, 2" tweeters, and 8" JL audio subwoofer run off of MA Audio M589I amp. Fiberglass Front splitters molded in, Shifted back stock spoiler, & repainted minor faded parts (Mirrors, rear quarter garnishes),18" murano 5-spoke wheels w/cooper zeon 2xs tires, '97 grille
Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 PM

Registered SVX

I would assume that as long as the edge where the adhesive is was left unpainted there should be no problem with adhesion.
Now a question of my own: From the legal standpoint of needing reflectors on the rear and side, If one was to use reflective tape, how large of an area would it need to cover?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughSilver92 View Post
I would assume that as long as the edge where the adhesive is was left unpainted there should be no problem with adhesion.
Now a question of my own: From the legal standpoint of needing reflectors on the rear and side, If one was to use reflective tape, how large of an area would it need to cover?
So basically what your saying the glue is only around the outside of the tail light and not over the whole thing? I haven't attempted to take them apart but in my mind i was picturing the entire thing being covered in glue.

Mods:
- JVC Indash head unit, polk 6.5's, 6X9's, 2" tweeters, and 8" JL audio subwoofer run off of MA Audio M589I amp. Fiberglass Front splitters molded in, Shifted back stock spoiler, & repainted minor faded parts (Mirrors, rear quarter garnishes),18" murano 5-spoke wheels w/cooper zeon 2xs tires, '97 grille
Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Registered SVX

I haven't taken them apart either (yet). But I would think it is just along the edge where the lens meets the housing.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 AM

Registered SVX

I have taken all my rear lights apart now to remove the diffusers and I can definitely say that there are still functional diffusers in place. The ones we are removing are just the ones Subaru put there to give us something to do. The only lights that don't are the reverse lights, which poses a bit of a problem since the housing and reflector by itself is not the best looking bit. The best solution I see to this is to cut the reverse light diffusers out of the whole center piece and use an adhesive to secure them to the housing. I will be doing this tomorrow, along with getting some reflective tape so they will still be "street legal". One other thing that bothers me a bit is the maroon colored plastic in the housings for the quarter panel mounted turn signals and very center of the center light panel. There are some irregularities and a dip in the center panel that I am sure will be noticeable when put back together. I think I'm going to just roll with it, though. Probably I'll be the only one looking at it hard enough to notice, and it's still a major improvement. One note, take your time and don't be afraid to stick the pieces back in the oven if they start getting difficult to pull apart. I learned this the hard way on my first piece (drivers side quarter mounted turn signal) when I broke the corner off. And the glue is just where the seams are.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

my question is, if we tint the outside and clear coat them with VHT Nightshades spray and a regular clear coat, will putting them back in the oven make the paint melt or run???
Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Hmm i never thought of that.

I wonder how heat resistant the tint is?

Mods:
Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

I know, everybody is sick of these pictures. Thanks Cozykat for the images.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this corner looks like it has an opaque diffuser in it (not textured like a reflector). I think this gives the same clean look without having a bare bulb hanging out. Esp. on the corners where there is so much plastic for one little bulb. Could we possibly make our own replacements for the diffuser to emulate this look? Would a flexable plastic strip work around the corners?

Food for thought, although it's worth noting that even Subaru likes the look of this mod; why else would they have done it themselves.

'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I wanted to give this a try last night and failed disgracefully. Can anyone give some better instructions? I could not for the life of me get even one single tab to come off. I had 3 different flat heads and a hand full of paper clips and nothing "separated" even after heating it.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

why are the exhaust tips on the pace car so crooked?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 06-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
why are the exhaust tips on the pace car so crooked?
becuase of the hacked up modified exhaust they put on it to make it louder (true duals)
Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en View Post
you asked

I like it but makes me want to get a smaller decklid strip made. You know so it's staggered rather than the one long strip lik eon 3rd gen Legacy's. These though+LED's would be sick!
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis

Last edited by Seraphinwolf; 06-18-2009 at 11:10 PM.