How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2004, 07:11 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

That is an attainable goal. Do you have a budget? Some of fatboyfsx's ideas were not cheap. Taking the spare out of the trunk alone accomplishes 28% of your weight goal. Nitrous accomplishes 100% of your hp goal cheaply, although I'd think twice before running it all the time. IMHO the finest mods most befitting of the car are subtle, well engineered, and often a bit pricey like the car itself.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:11 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
even w/ power:weight of a trans am without the same gearing you will still lose don't forget that

also auto trans and awd your to ground power:weight won't be the same

so to go faster you need a better power to weight than the trans am
Old 01-02-2004, 08:57 PM
JBnAR

So far the plans for the diet include

16 lb momo seats
15 lb wheels (remember rotational weight makes a bigger diff per pound)
Carbon fiber or fiberglass hood
ditching the spare

And power plans are

ported and polished heads
port matched manifolds
balanced rolling assembly
underdrive crank pulley (done)
open element filter (done)
55hp shot of Nitrous
exhaust

I've only had the car for 2 months and a shredded timing belt has set the progress back a little so i'm really just starting, but the goal is to get the 75 hp gain before the nitrous. Eventually i am planning to do a 5 spd conversion and add a turbo, but those are both well down the road.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:54 AM

Very, very nice!!

Great mods very befitting the car.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

40 pounds nothing but all the AC componets under the hood in my integra worth about .5 sec down the quarter.

edit: the new times were done on touranza lt h-speed rated tires. the old times were done on Potenzas v-speed with little tread left. and both times it was bloody hot
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver

Last edited by thundering02; 11-21-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:17 PM

Congrats on shaving .5 sec. It's kind of unlikely that that much time can be attributed soley to weight loss. Standard drag racing formula says 100 lbs. = .1 second. That would mean you did approximately 12 times better than professional drag racers. At that rate, I could have shaved almost 9 full seconds off my times with weight loss only (we are down about 750 lbs) with no engine mods. Hmmm- that would mean I could do the 1/4 mile in about 6 seconds before I hit the nitrous!

Maybe the tires helped contribute- maybe something else!

Anyway, congrats again!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 11-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

the teg only wieghs in at just over 2k pounds with me and a full tank of gas. That and with the touranzas I could spin the tires a little without shaking all the way down the track. potenzas required a lighter foot at the line to do it properly. 5k launch instead of a 3.5ish launch and when youve only got like 100 horses it can make a big difference. And the full street use(both times) 35 psi in the tires(didn't want to find an air pump afterwards)

edit.s. sorry if I'm hijacking your thread.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver

Last edited by thundering02; 11-21-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:18 AM

The most economical weightsaving is:

-Have only ONE gallon of fuel in the tank!

You gain MUCH and actually SAVE money!!!

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 11-22-2004, 07:14 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
3580 lb car
- 23 lb drivers seat swap ie; replaced power drivers with non p passenger seat 68 vs 45 by my digital scale
- 13 lb front bumper exchange ie; used a modified 99 legacy front bumper support
- 20 lb rear bumper reengineer
- 14 lb lighter wheels (16.5 ea)
- 33 lb spare tire, jack and tools
- 8 lb trunk carpet + cardboard
- 39 lb exhaust system
+ 35 lb gas 5 gallons at 7lb ea
3465 lb car
- 13 lb hood butchery+ac bracket
3452lb car

The stock headers weigh 18 lbs, the pipe from the headers to the muffler weighs 50 lbs, the muffler weighs 35 lbs, 103 lbs total. My system, from the home made headers, cherry bomb, 3” tubing + afterburner + polished tip weigh 64lbs. 39 lbs savings

Note; 4 lb savings on underdrive pulley offset by added weight of adjustable FPR
I cut out the bracing from under the hood, 11 lbs.(the hood was a spare) Not recommended for the street.
Took off the iron bracket for the ac belt adjuster, 3 lbs.
Note, if the complete front bumper support was removed, it would be a 26 lb loss.And you would have no freeking bumper!!!
I have done all of this to my personal car, and will undo some of it soon!
When I weighed my car with a few things in the trunk, and the tank showing less than one half, and more than one quater it was 3405 lbs.
From my measurements the car lost 163 lbs, and gained about 5-10 lbs in an underhood bracket.
It's late, I am tired and just can't remember.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 11-22-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:38 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
SVX's Weight

When i was doing my paintjob, I had the SVX entirely stripped, even the doors ! I took it for a ride, it had no doors, no bumpers, no headlights, no taillights, no windows (rear) no interor (all seats), no hood, i sensed a great deal of performance and acceleration resulting from this stripping. but I assure you that the SVX's huge weight (considering the chassis) lies in its bumpers, its hood, its driver's seat (electric motors) and most important, its doors !!! did anyone try to lift a stripped door ?? imagine when it has all the gadgets on !!! so try to make modified fiberglass doors a fiberglass or carbon hood, and lighter bumpers (as I did in mine) and for sure you will notice some result.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
When I weighed my car with a few things in the trunk, and the tank showing less than one half, and more than one quater it was 3405 lbs.
Or you could just get an awd L model... My car is within 20lbs of yours by just removing the spare tire!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-23-2004, 08:10 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

Or you could just get an awd L model... My car is within 20lbs of yours by just removing the spare tire!

-Chike
What?! And not have the hours and hours of cut hands, new bruises, grinding debris in my eyes? And how about the mystery of new rattles, the enginering challanges of just making it BETTER!

the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
What?! And not have the hours and hours of cut hands, new bruises, grinding debris in my eyes? And how about the mystery of new rattles, the enginering challanges of just making it BETTER!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-25-2004, 06:18 PM
JBnAR

Unhappy

Well, just in case anyone is still following this thread I have some depressing news. My beautiful Subie bit the dust a while back. First thing to go was the tranny (3rd and 4th gears to be specific), but since I had no other transportation I was forced to drive it to work anyway; with just 1st and 2nd. Doable if you live within 5 or 10 minutes of work... I lived 30 minutes from work. On my second or third day of running around in second gear (no lag in passing acceleration, well up to 80 anyway) I was most of the way to work, and on my way up the last hill, when when my baby started knocking . I had barely made it up the hill when the rod went and the engine seized. My maroon with grey interior project car, which was about to have all its plastic wood trim sprayed to match the exterior (wouldn't that have looked nice) is now owned by the towing company that dragged her off the side of the road. AND IT WASN'T EVEN PAID OFF YET!!!
Old 11-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by JBnAR
Well, just in case anyone is still following this thread I have some depressing news. My beautiful Subie bit the dust a while back. First thing to go was the tranny (3rd and 4th gears to be specific), but since I had no other transportation I was forced to drive it to work anyway; with just 1st and 2nd. Doable if you live within 5 or 10 minutes of work... I lived 30 minutes from work. On my second or third day of running around in second gear (no lag in passing acceleration, well up to 80 anyway) I was most of the way to work, and on my way up the last hill, when when my baby started knocking . I had barely made it up the hill when the rod went and the engine seized. My maroon with grey interior project car, which was about to have all its plastic wood trim sprayed to match the exterior (wouldn't that have looked nice) is now owned by the towing company that dragged her off the side of the road. AND IT WASN'T EVEN PAID OFF YET!!!
Man !! the engine and the tranny ? bad luck ! I advise you to buy another SVX and take the engine + tranny and replace yours.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.