Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX World Network Official Group Buys > Group Buys
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Just like womenz, John!

The bar is perfectly made, some of the links develope play.
On a loud race car you would want the strongest links that you could get.
The replacement links came to me today, but the lift is currently tied up with a trans swap and repair.
As soon as the lift is free I will install the bar on my New Pearlie and I believe it will be fine.
OK, yesterday afternoon I took my non-Moog generic end links and installed them on my Pearlie.
I did not like the way that they fit and made up some spacers to jack the anti-sway bar forward 1/4".
If the end links were 1/8" shorter I would not have had to do this.
Drove the car, Rebecca drove the car, totally quiet except for the exhaust system.
Now I pulled it onto the flat floor of the garage to check the clearance, and while on the ground there is tons of room.
I was concerned that the top end link was VERY close to the rear calliper brake line bolt,when the car is up in the air on a lift!.
The good news is that as the suspension compresses the gap increases.

However since some of you get airborn
shorter bars yet might help.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff
Registered SVX

Nevin - Any updates? The roads around here suck...and I can barely hear my failing wheel bearing over the rattling of your RSB end links.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

I'm late to the game and I see some rattling/tapping sound due to the clearance issues of the end link.

I bought the same bar sans the end links, primarily due to the dirt road driving that I do on a daily basis. I didn't think the heim joints would last very long in this environment so I stayed with the OEM links. In my past experience in the offroading/rock crawling world, heim or johny joints don't appreciate dirt w/o a constant cleaning and lubricating regiment. This car being so low, I wasn't going to do that particular task

One side effect of sticking with the oem links and this massive bar is that the weld on the oem link failed on the driver side. I'm talking about the end that's on top where the round end link is welded to the U shape bent metal (to capture the sway bar end). Obviously, the 22mm sway bar is putting much force in this area than the oem sway bar.

At this time, it was a question of making up a new end link or simply welding and fortifying this area. I took the easy way out and did the latter. Maybe this summer when I have more motivation, I may look into making up a set of new links or see what Nevin comes up with version 2.0.

Anyway, just a data point for y'all. I'm enjoying the hell out of this sway bar and somewhat better handling of the vehicle. Once I replace the strut mounts, I'll have a nice rattle free suspension again!

Have a good day.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 PM

Alright everyone, I haven't meant to make everyone wait like I have been, and I apologize for doing so.

That said, i have good news.

Geoff has been kind enough to try out a set of endlinks recommended to me by OT, and so far we have been happy with the results. It's an OEM style link from another car, but it seems it should do the work just fine.

Those of you who currently have bars can change yours over very easily, and those interested in buying new bars will have either option available for ordering.

Concerning new bars, the metal is at the metal shop and they've begun the work they need to do. I just called the owner yesterday and asked if I could have them by the end of the week next week and he said "no problem."

So, I should have the bars in my posession as early as next weekend so I can begin my stage of working on them. Once I'm a bit closer I'll post more information regarding the next group buy.

Thanks again everyone!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Alright everyone, I haven't meant to make everyone wait like I have been, and I apologize for doing so.

That said, i have good news.

Geoff has been kind enough to try out a set of endlinks recommended to me by OT, and so far we have been happy with the results. It's an OEM style link from another car, but it seems it should do the work just fine.

Those of you who currently have bars can change yours over very easily, and those interested in buying new bars will have either option available for ordering.

Concerning new bars, the metal is at the metal shop and they've begun the work they need to do. I just called the owner yesterday and asked if I could have them by the end of the week next week and he said "no problem."

So, I should have the bars in my posession as early as next weekend so I can begin my stage of working on them. Once I'm a bit closer I'll post more information regarding the next group buy.

Thanks again everyone!
Could you post a few pictures of the new style and the old your using for comparison.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Could you post a few pictures of the new style and the old your using for comparison.
Yes, when I get my hands on another set. I bought them from a local parts store, and they were kinda pricey, so I'll wait to get some pictures when I find them in bulk at a better rate. There will for sure be a comparison picture though when the new bulk buy is started.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Here's a pic of the new. Nevermind the not sitting REALLY close to the brake banjo bolt. The car was on a lift, and even on a lift it cleared with about 3-4mm. It will never get this close in daily driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg endlink1.jpg (268.3 KB, 535 views)

Last edited by Geoff; 03-03-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Here's a pic of the new. Nevermind the not sitting REALLY close to the brake banjo bolt. The car was on a lift, and even on a lift it cleared with about 3-4mm. It will never get this close in daily driving.
Thank you I appreciate the pic and I looked at nevins install thread for a comparison, I think I would like the original style, I can live with some squeaks and rattles the car is 20 years old I doubt I can get rid of enough other noises to even hear that. lol

I like the beefier none stock looking adjustable end link and the way I drive it may be more useful.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Yes, when I get my hands on another set. I bought them from a local parts store, and they were kinda pricey, so I'll wait to get some pictures when I find them in bulk at a better rate. There will for sure be a comparison picture though when the new bulk buy is started.
Price?

Ray
Old 03-04-2011, 03:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thank you I appreciate the pic and I looked at nevins install thread for a comparison, I think I would like the original style, I can live with some squeaks and rattles the car is 20 years old I doubt I can get rid of enough other noises to even hear that. lol

I like the beefier none stock looking adjustable end link and the way I drive it may be more useful.
Depending on the install, it's not squeaks or rattles. On my car, it was loud knocks that sounded like the strut mounts are going out over almost every little bump in the road.

Performance wise, you gain little to nothing from the older end links...I've put the car through its paces on its 245/45ZR17s.

But that being said, your call.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hi Nevin,
I hopw these are available again as I plan on doing some autocross this season afer taking some time off for the last three years.

Todd
Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm also down for one of those!

I will wait for some more info regarding the new links. Will the kit be the same price?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Todd, sorry to take so long to reply to you. the last couple of weeks have been very hectic for me.

Yes, I do plan on making more bars soon, very soon actually.

I actually have ten more in my posession as we speak. I haven't worked my magic on them yet, but the metal shop is done with them. Hopefully I can get to them this week still, and if not, then defintely next week. And that means they'd probably be available for sale in about 3 weeks to a month.

One has already been paid for, so I will only have 9 for sale, but I imagine the price will still be the same. I haven't finalized the price difference between the two styles of endlinks yet, but I am still looking for a good place to buy the OEM style link (what I'll call the "street" link) in bulk and save a bit.

So, if you're interested in one of these badboys, start saving your money. I'll have them in this portion of the forum again, and the terms will be the same. So if you want to familiarize yourself with how it works, just go back to the first post of this thread and re-read it.

Sorry to keep you all waiting, but yes I have bars in the works, and no I haven't forgotten about you all!

happy motoring!

nevin

p.s. I am currently withOUT a computer, so if I don't answer messages right away, please give me some time. I WILL get back to you, so don't worry.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 PM

Registered SVX

Sounds good, Hope to see these soon.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:57 AM

I'm also very interested in obtaining one from this new batch of sway bars.

How much will it be to ship to Vancouver, B.C. ?