Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: STeeL's built motor/turbo build

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I remember reading that it's easier to pull the manifold by unbolting the lower intake manifold (the part with the injectors) from the heads, rather than just the plenum from the lower manifold. Less chance of breaking things or something. You should have new gaskets on hand before doing that.
Was it me who said that? :P
IMO it's just a lot quicker and easier.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Was it me who said that? :P
IMO it's just a lot quicker and easier.
Yea it probably was. It seems easier, after having done it once the other way already . At least the engine was out of the car, so it was easy because of that.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I remember reading that it's easier to pull the manifold by unbolting the lower intake manifold (the part with the injectors) from the heads, rather than just the plenum from the lower manifold. Less chance of breaking things or something. You should have new gaskets on hand before doing that.
oh , that does sound a little easier , maybe i should get some of the outlaw things when i do it (they come with new gaskets for it dont they ?)

oh and sorry for the thread hijack
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
I now have a 2005 Saab 9-2X transmission with 80k miles sitting in my garage. That marks off my last major component So close I can almost taste it.
New guy here, sorry if this seems like a dumb question.......

I just caught this, did I miss something? How does a Saab trans fit into this subject? Is it some sort of heavy duty solution or ......?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Saab 92x = Subaru Impreza

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Saab 92x = Subaru Impreza
Do they make a WRX variant?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Do they make a WRX variant?
9-2X Aero = 2.0T WRX
9-2X Linear = 2.5 Impreza

They are pretty cool. Less weird looking than the subaru versions, but still sharing all of the important parts.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
9-2X Aero = 2.0T WRX
9-2X Linear = 2.5 Impreza

They are pretty cool. Less weird looking than the subaru versions, but still sharing all of the important parts.
Pretty common for the Saab guys to swap in the Subaru body parts actually. Also, the Saab versions are much easier to find with leather, and even heated leather.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 AM

Same parts eh, ..... dang! I was hoping the Saab was going to be some magical super auto trans that would hold up to turbocharging the EG33. Oh well, the quest goes on.......
Old 11-10-2011, 06:26 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

STeeL: Breather for the crankcase, with forced induction? Sounds like a recipe for an oil-soaked engine bay.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
STeeL: Breather for the crankcase, with forced induction? Sounds like a recipe for an oil-soaked engine bay.
It doesn't seem like he's going FI right away.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

True. For the moment I'd just like to get it driving... I've owned it for literally years now and have never once driven it as I bought it with a broken timing belt and without a transmission. I'll find something else to do with it when I can afford the turbo parts and injectors.

I am picking up a heat exchanger out of an 04 Cobra tomorrow though
Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraJet View Post
Same parts eh, ..... dang! I was hoping the Saab was going to be some magical super auto trans that would hold up to turbocharging the EG33. Oh well, the quest goes on.......
Auto trans won't work anyway. It's a phase 2
Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 AM

Would one of the later model autoboxes mate up to the engine and hold up to turbo power?
Old 11-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

At the end of today

Pretty happy with the progress. It looks like the entire front half of the motor is nearly done. The only main thing being the power steering pump, which for whatever reason we left hook up in the engine bay... I may go yank that out.

Solved a lot of the vacuum tube issues. Don't hate me for asking this after you already posted such an awesome guide, but I just want to show you what I'm seeing on the back passenger side of my motor. As I'm OBDI I missing what I think is labeled the BPT on the picture (or I just removed it and don't remember) so I'd like to know what to do with these.

The lines I circled in orange and blue I'm assuming to go the tubes on the throttle bodies labeled R and P, though I'm still not terrible sure what to do with them. Is whats circled in red the pressure regulator that needs to be connected to the manifold nipple circled in pink?