Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Re: SVX on American Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
This has already happened. And yes, people have scooped them up because it's a nice looking, cheap car. The problem is a lot of these people will beat on them or let them go completely unmaintained and then scrap them when they are faced with a fairly high repair bill (who is going to pay $2k to fix a transmission on a $1k car?)
They're still too expensive over here (europe). I think generally cars are kept better here, they are generally more expensive.

On an evil note, I think the japanese and european cars are better manufactured, too Hence consumers are ready to make them last longer. Complete service history is the rule rather than deviation.
I'm ready to f...
Old 08-29-2012, 01:14 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

i like the American Top Gear but last night was very disappointing they could have at least had a race between them....i will not be watching that episode again...

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
I watched the show and it wasn't really entertaining Here's what I extracted:

* Each person picks a car that they think should be a classic (point to SVX)
* The so called "expert" picks the SVX and talks about "tomorrow's car - Yesterday" (Point to SVX)
* Each car is taken through completely stupid challenges and I think even the average american sees that high pressure water is not rain. Besides, the claim that you can ride with an open window during rain and not get wet is not what concerns people in general. I mean, who cares if it can or can't?
* Rutledge's sales pitch is very funny, I think.
* The price is ridiculous (point for SVX).

For my last point.. I think we all agree that our cars are nowhere close to any appreciation. This will not happen until prices go so low that the car becomes eligable to almost all buyer groups. Then the car interested kids will vacuum clean the market and refurbish them. Word spreads around how good the cars are, more people want it and demand starts going up. Maybe the SVX never will be a classic but if it is to become one, we need prices to go where there is no better bang for the buck.
They're already cheap as can be here in the states and still, nothing.
For a $1,000 car it still needs a solid $6-8k to make it road worthy like it once was back in 92-97. I'm not talking about just parts either, paint and all. I would be surprised if there are even 100 SVXes that meet that criteria and maybe a few dozen, if that many, where owners have been willing and capable of spending the money and time into their cars.

This car really isn't for the masses and that's part of the charm.
Most people would say screw it and could pick up a nice 2004 Nissan 350z for example just as much as it would realistically cost to bring any SVX up to proper speed due to the general lack of maintenance and neglect that the majority of past owners have cursed upon these cars, not to mention age and normal wear and tear itself.

I didn't take the Top Gear episode to heart and I seriously doubt anyone with half a brain would turn the other way regarding the svx because some not so serious car show did less than a half ass means of representing the SVX. I honestly laughed quite a but through the show. I think it was the $200 everyone was shocked at. Even then, who really cares. Personally it's not like I'm holding onto and fixing my SVX that in hopes some day down the line it may be worth some money.. I like it for what it is and want to enjoy it for myself. I could really care less what anyone else in the world thinks of it both value wise or from any other stand point. I love the car and that should be the bottom line.

If you're in it hoping the car may be worth something someday, you're in it for the wrong reason.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Registered SVX

That Was a complete waste of my DVD or DVR selling that car for $200 was ridiculous to begin with plastic bags on the seats? The Merkur with sausages around the neck of the guy with two German shepherds what did that prove the whole thing was completely ridiculous . I mean shooting water with a firehose inside the car as he was going around the corners the guy actually took aim at the side window . I mean come on how much rain do you think is going to get in there. They never claimed to be driving in a hurricane or a monsoon and not get wet. I actually did drive across country and it did, rain and we did have the windows open and we did not get wet?.. Freaken blew the windshield wiper off. I have driven many cars in heave rain and never had that happen.

Last edited by Conn SVX; 08-30-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

The show goes against shipping wars and looses. Pretty sad. If I owned the rights to the original I'd sue the history channel for losses.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Top Gear USA is so retarded!

I always watch Top Gear UK, well actually I have all seasons from 1 to 18 including the special episodes... At least the Brits' humor and presentation skills is very natural. The American TG guys look like bad Chinese copies that are destroying the TG name.

And a firefighter truck's water gun? Really? And at 2 miles/hr? Duhhhhh!!! Coo-Coo anybody home???

Why not trying showers at 40miles/h? 50m/h? What about wind effect on hair? wind noise? Idiots!!

I say Top Gear USA should have better hosts, and be managed by TG UK's Director...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:33 PM

Registered SVX

only one thing of note in that clip, I never did watch the entire thing but I seen that svx was a right hand drive car that was kind of cool.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
only one thing of note in that clip, I never did watch the entire thing but I seen that svx was a right hand drive car that was kind of cool.
You're mistaken. The video is flipped to avoid copyright infringement.

They should really get their facts right on these shows as well. Saying it was only made for 4 years is a significant error IMO.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
nope, I flipped the video to avoid the instant copyright takedown.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Registered SVX

ah, ok thanks for clarifying that
Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
They're already cheap as can be here in the states and still, nothing.
For a $1,000 car it still needs a solid $6-8k to make it road worthy like it once was back in 92-97. I'm not talking about just parts either, paint and all. I would be surprised if there are even 100 SVXes that meet that criteria and maybe a few dozen, if that many, where owners have been willing and capable of spending the money and time into their cars.

This car really isn't for the masses and that's part of the charm.
Most people would say screw it and could pick up a nice 2004 Nissan 350z for example just as much as it would realistically cost to bring any SVX up to proper speed due to the general lack of maintenance and neglect that the majority of past owners have cursed upon these cars, not to mention age and normal wear and tear itself.

I didn't take the Top Gear episode to heart and I seriously doubt anyone with half a brain would turn the other way regarding the svx because some not so serious car show did less than a half ass means of representing the SVX. I honestly laughed quite a but through the show. I think it was the $200 everyone was shocked at. Even then, who really cares. Personally it's not like I'm holding onto and fixing my SVX that in hopes some day down the line it may be worth some money.. I like it for what it is and want to enjoy it for myself. I could really care less what anyone else in the world thinks of it both value wise or from any other stand point. I love the car and that should be the bottom line.

If you're in it hoping the car may be worth something someday, you're in it for the wrong reason.
I agree. They're special cars! If you shave the top and bottom, most cars in europe are priced between $6k and $12k. And they probably need some to really shine again.

Of course, most people are A4 people and buy Audi A4 for the same money
I'm ready to f...
Old 08-30-2012, 03:41 PM

Just found out about this today from a co-worker. I set my DVR to record it, but now, having read bout it, I'm "pre-disappointed". The American version of Top Gear sucks, and the original British version has become tiresome, overly scripted, and totally predictable (but I still watch it).

Basically both versions of the show will always -ALWAYS- make fun of and usually destroy used cars. So I probabably shouldn't expect anything more. But to hear that they hosed down an "open" SVX with a firehose is infurating. That smell will be hard to get rid of. My wife accidentally left our old (new then) '91 Mitsubishi Galant opened up, sunroof and all, to escape some of the mid-summer Florida heat. Forgot about it, and it absolutely POURED rain for like half an hour. It was like a classic scene from a movie: opened the door and water just poured out of the car. That smell never came out of the car. close but never really went away.

This means the seats and carpet of that SVX will have to be replaced probably. What a bunch of A-holes. I'll watch the episode, but this kills it for me in the future. No more.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 08-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
This has already happened. And yes, people have scooped them up because it's a nice looking, cheap car. The problem is a lot of these people will beat on them or let them go completely unmaintained and then scrap them when they are faced with a fairly high repair bill (who is going to pay $2k to fix a transmission on a $1k car?)
^^^This^^^ +1million

I do agree with the majority here that the US version of the show is in fact not as good as the UK version. However it is nice to see they are putting cars on that never really got the respect they deserved. Also helps that Tanner Foust is one of the hosts of the show. Other than that, its really not very good.

Last week's episode was meh...Although watching Tanner beat the tar out of that Yugo then cage it for "rally stunt driving" ( ) was fun to watch

So, which one of our members here decided to save that SVX for $200?

Edit: One last thing (off topic): Nate, YGPM. I'd also like to chat with you and pick your brain on another unrelated matter to the PM. Give me a call when you get a free moment.

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac

Dino pulls (Tom dresses up in a Barney outfit and stands on rollerskates as we drag him around the parking lot)

Originally Posted by svxfiles (in response)

Purple fur and "Drag" are not words usually associated with Tom.

Last edited by DiabloScoobyru; 08-30-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScoobyru View Post

So, which one of our members here decided to save that SVX for $200?
no one... that kid clearly just wanted to put the 3.3 into his impreza.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
I don't believe anyone expected a favorable showing on "Top Gear" would have made the SVX a desirable classic overnight, but do think everyone was secretly hoping that at the least they'd concede it's a much better car than its sales numbers would suggest.

dcb