Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A > Chris's SVX Shop
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2002, 10:08 PM
cosmecar

Thumbs down Camshaft Seal Instal Question

Hi guys,
I have got to say that my SVX experience has not been a very good one. It's has just been one thing after another with this car. I have yet another problem with it. I was trying to sell it and the guy that was interested in it took it to a Subaru dealership and had it looked over for any problems. He paid a pretty penny for this which is actually beneficial to me. We the diagnosis was returned there was a Camshaft Seal that needed to be replaced. I noticed that it was burning some oil but I didn't know where it was coming from so atleast now I know where to look. Subaru quoted $500 for this repair. The problem has now gotten worse and I'm having to add a qt of oil about every 5 days. I would really like to sell this car and get rid of it but fear this leak will prevent any sell. I was thinking of replacing the seal myself but have no clue where it would be and how hard it would be to do this. I looked on Advance Auto's webpage and there were three Chamshaft Seals I could get. They ranged anywhere from 5-30 dollars. Also I would like to have sort of a diagram to look at to ensure proper instilation of this seal. If anyone knows wher this seal is located exactly, knows how hard it is to install this and knows where I could get a diagram of this procedure I would greatly appreciate it. Something that would be ideal would be a quick fix. Maybe I could put a bead of something around the outside of it. Anyways thanks in advance guys I really appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:19 PM

I think if you can get it done for 500, then let them do it. replace the timing belt and water pump while the front is open. yes that will drive up the cost, but cheaper than taking the front apart again if anything should go wrong.

You need to do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of threads on this - look for timing belt, water pump or seals in the search.

Basically it's not to bad a job if you have tools, but there are several tricks (like getting the pulleys off, not screwing up the harmonic balancer, etc.).
Old 09-02-2002, 05:58 AM

CamSeal leak...

The camseals will leak oil into the front plastic timing belt covers...if you are loosing a quart a week, you should have a mess on the bottom of the engine and pretty large spot on the garage floor. I would think both cam seals and the crank seal would be faulty to loose that much. If your PCV valves are plugged you could be pressurizing the crankcase and blowing oil out any and all seals. I guess the question is..are you "burning oil" as you state or leaking it? 2 different questions with 2 different solutions for the most part.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:35 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I had my dealer do the seals and timing belts and they charged $400. Great work. Except they didn't clean all the oil off the front of the engine. But i guess for $400 i shouldn't expect that.