Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A > Chris's SVX Shop
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 06:31 PM

Need Help In North Carolina

Hello, I just purchased a 95 L today with 112K miles. It just came from a one owner lady who had her handyman sell it for her. She just put new Michelin Pilots 225-50-16 3 months ago. She sold it because she heard a noise in the tranny, took it to Cottman Transmission and $1400 later said they had rebuit the tranny but were not sure about the rear end. She didn't trust the car anymore so she sold it to your's truly for $1200.00 It's in great shape.
I still can't get a straight answer as to what was replaced or what went wrong.
The receipt just shows master service. When I pulled a carfax, Cottman had serviced the transmission 4 months ago - gee what a surpise

The card seems to run great. No one wants to look at the car or the tranny. They just laugh at me. What does anyone suggest to getting the tranny checked out ? also does the timing belt need to be changed ? Thanks For the help.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 PM

SVX Tran./ timing belt info.

Hello to North Carolina, I'm listening to a radio station from Durham right now.

FYI. If the Tran. is repaired properly you should get many miles out of your SVX. The previous owner of my 1992 SVX LSL had the tran replaced at 70,088 Km (Apr.1997)and I have 206,545 Km. I have had no Tran. problems. I did however put a small cooler, Tran. filter and changed the filter screen on the SVX Tran. just in case.

I replaced the cam timing belt or the dealer replaced it May/2001 at almost 160,000 Km. or almost 100,000 miles. If the belt breakes then the car will stop but you will not get engine damage like some cars do.

Rear Wheel bearing can be a problem with SVX but you will hear it. I had mine replaced at 171,000 Km. and they are fine.

I hope this info. will be helpful..............Bye for now....Ralph
Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 PM

Ralph,
Thanks for the info, every little bit helps. Compared to my Integra GSR and Del Sol, the svx will be a little challenge. It's a cool car and it will be fun.
Wayne
Old 09-19-2006, 02:45 PM

Greetings Wayne,

I agree with Ralph: If the transmission is working properly just keep the fluid fresh and consider a supplemental cooler. No need to get it checked-out if it's behaving well. As to the timing belt, I believe the prescribed interval is 60,000 miles. If I were you I'd go just ahead and take care of that.

The guys who service my cars (father/son shop) rarely work on Subarus and had never seen an SVX before mine, and I've never had a hint of a problem. If a mechanic laughs you out the door because he doesn't want to work on your car, I'd question his skills, anyway.

Welcome, and good luck.

dcb
Old 09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrsol84mm
Hello, I just purchased a 95 L today with 112K miles. It just came from a one owner lady who had her handyman sell it for her. She just put new Michelin Pilots 225-50-16 3 months ago. She sold it because she heard a noise in the tranny, took it to Cottman Transmission and $1400 later said they had rebuit the tranny but were not sure about the rear end. She didn't trust the car anymore so she sold it to your's truly for $1200.00 It's in great shape.
I still can't get a straight answer as to what was replaced or what went wrong.
The receipt just shows master service. When I pulled a carfax, Cottman had serviced the transmission 4 months ago - gee what a surpise

The card seems to run great. No one wants to look at the car or the tranny. They just laugh at me. What does anyone suggest to getting the tranny checked out ? also does the timing belt need to be changed ? Thanks For the help.

If you are near Raleigh at all, drop me a line and I'll meet up with ya and see if I can figure out what it is... If all else fails, I'll help ya do a 5MT swap into it, just like mine

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 09-19-2006, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the information and help I really appreciate it. This morning looked really bad at 9:15am. Smoke was pouring out from under the car, tranny fluid was all over the road. I thought the tranny had bit the dust. The lady I had bought the car from just got it back from Cottman last week. I called them and they towed it in. The tranny fluid hose had cracked and poured fluid inside the engine area and under the car on the exhaust. They fixed the hose, filled the fluid and gave me the real story on the tranny. They said they rebuilt everything with the exception of replacing to two main drums which they resurfaced, as the lady did not want to pay $1700 for two drums. They charged her a total of $1600 for the rebuild and gave a 90 day warranty. They had pictures of the whole job including bad parts as they had never done one before and had to call in a mechanic from out of the area.
They also gave me a print out of how TO: Transfer Clutch break-in Procedures ( Driving in circles right 5 times, then left 5 times)
Compared to my 4 door integra GSR this is a real adventure.

I dropped the car off at the detailing shop where they are going to steam clean and buff out the whole car out. It really is a cool looking car and think I will love it.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrsol84mm
Thanks for the information and help I really appreciate it. This morning looked really bad at 9:15am. Smoke was pouring out from under the car, tranny fluid was all over the road. I thought the tranny had bit the dust. The lady I had bought the car from just got it back from Cottman last week. I called them and they towed it in. The tranny fluid hose had cracked and poured fluid inside the engine area and under the car on the exhaust. They fixed the hose, filled the fluid and gave me the real story on the tranny. They said they rebuilt everything with the exception of replacing to two main drums which they resurfaced, as the lady did not want to pay $1700 for two drums. They charged her a total of $1600 for the rebuild and gave a 90 day warranty. They had pictures of the whole job including bad parts as they had never done one before and had to call in a mechanic from out of the area.
They also gave me a print out of how TO: Transfer Clutch break-in Procedures ( Driving in circles right 5 times, then left 5 times)
Compared to my 4 door integra GSR this is a real adventure.

I dropped the car off at the detailing shop where they are going to steam clean and buff out the whole car out. It really is a cool looking car and think I will love it.
Don't let them steam clean the engine! It can cause condensation to get into electrical plugs and cause all sorts of Check engine lights and corrosion on terminals and so on. They should just use a good cleaner and water. Good luck and glad you like it. Welcome to the club.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Parts Breaker, Tire Waster

Send a message via AIM to hexadec0079
Unhappy

Greenmarine and i here to help, repping for Rlaeigh lol
I'll sell you mine for parts if you want, cheap only missing one front pinion tooth, lol

A side note- can you help me do 5spd. swap greenmarine, maybe HIDs tooo!
No one else knows what to do, and I just can't sell her
Green, LS with spoiler, 157,000, ES Swaybar bushings, 9005/6 mod, 2.25' Dual Exhaust, Custom Grounding, Hyperwhite fogs, LED tails, 4.44s, custom Blitz intake, tranny cooler, thats about it, for now...

1997 Chevy 1500 -FOR SALE-
5.7 liter, Z71, 300hp+, still almost 20mpg

1986 Merkur XR4Ti -SOLD-
SVO Engine, T3 hybrid turbo, K&N, custom ducting, Initial D painted, 18psi, fastest car for under $1000, ever.