Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
*sits on the blue side of the bench and is damn proud of it*
First true thing you have said tonight. Congratulations.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-26-2006, 07:41 PM

Bush's Tax Cuts are Wonderful...

if you are among those whose average income over the last three years was 10 MILLION per year, Bush's tax cuts for the rich SAVED you $500,000 a year! (A little sumptin', sumptin' so you can keep the Land Rover in gas.)
Or 1.5 MILLION IN TAX SAVINGS in just three years!
(A reasonable person could comfortably RETIRE on 1.5 million.)
Those making do with a mere 26 million in annual income actually paid the SAME AMOUNT OF TAX as someone earning as little as $200,000!
Those stats are taken from the GAO's report on the effectiveness (or total lack thereof) of Bush's tax 'breaks'.

On the subject of the 'Great Decider', would someone be kind enough to explain:
1. How Big Oil made a cool TRILLION IN PROFIT last year but I'm still payin' $3.00 a gallon.
2. Why are the prop taxes on a $220k house in Dallas $6500 a year and prop taxes on a $500k house in San Diego less than a third of that?
(And yes it does have something to do with Bush being the former Gov. of Tex)
WGJ
When you've answered these questions I've got lots more.

Last edited by WGJ; 04-26-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
You obviously dont know what your talking about, as the marginal tax bracket for a middle class citizen will send well more then 1/10th(10%) of your money to them. At the very least tehy are in the 27% bracket.

phil

They itemize. That 27% is on taxable income.... which probably works out to about 10% if they are homeowners with a mortgage and less than 80k a year.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
if you are among those whose average income over the last three years was 10 MILLION per year, Bush's tax cuts for the rich SAVED you $500,000 a year! (A little sumptin', sumptin' so you can keep the Land Rover in gas.)
Or 1.5 MILLION IN TAX SAVINGS in just three years!
(A reasonable person could comfortably RETIRE on 1.5 million.)
Those making do with a mere 26 million in annual income actually paid the SAME AMOUNT OF TAX as someone earning as little as $200,000!
Those stats are taken from the GAO's report on the effectiveness (or total lack thereof) of Bush's tax 'breaks'.

1. How Big Oil made a cool TRILLION IN PROFIT last year but I'm still payin' $3.00 a gallon.
2. Why are the prop taxes on a $220k house in Dallas $6500 a year and prop taxes on a $500k house in San Diego less than a third of that?
WGJ
I just liked this post so much, I wanted it repeated.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Ya can't fix stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
I just liked this post so much, I wanted it repeated.
LOFL!

Geesh....I need ten characters to make a post?

1992 SVX LSL Pearl

1992 SVX LSi Ebony

1992 SVX LSL Silver - parts
Old 04-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ

WGJ
1. they are charging $3/gal for gasoline and people are buying it. not too difficult to understand, really. if you don't want to contribute to their profit, don't buy gas. its not your God-given right to be entitled to cheap gasoline. buy an electric car, ride a bike, or take a bus. simple supply and demand.

2. property taxes vary greatly by location. they even vary greatly by community in the same area. why do 1 bedroom apartments in New York City cost more than a big house in Montana? Bush's fault i guess.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
1. they are charging $3/gal for gasoline and people are buying it. not too difficult to understand, really. if you don't want to contribute to their profit, don't buy gas. its not your God-given right to be entitled to cheap gasoline. buy an electric car, ride a bike, or take a bus. simple supply and demand.

2. property taxes vary greatly by location. they even vary greatly by community in the same area. why do 1 bedroom apartments in New York City cost more than a big house in Montana? Bush's fault i guess.
Exactly. Come on Landshark, haven't you figgered it out yet? Everything is Bush's fault
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-27-2006, 01:00 AM

RESPONSE:1. OK then can we get the 12 BILLION DOLLAR SUBSIDY Bush and congress gave BIG OIL back?
Folks in Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida could really use it.
As far as the GOD given right to cheap gas- I never claimed such a right. I questioned the relationship of record prices to (proportionately greater) RECORD BIG OIL profits, particularly at a time of war. Additionally, if we had the gas tax the Republicans refused to enact we would have been paying more all along - it just wouldn't have gone to RECORD BIG OIL profits... some of the TRILLION would have gone to our Gov't. And God has nothing to do with it...I'm secular.
Oh, yeah, whille you've got all these simple answers, could you please try to explain the $400 MILLION RETIREMENT package for the retiring oil exec?

RESPONSE:2. When GW became Gov of Texas they had the largest surplus in state history...when Bush left they had the BIGGEST DEFICIT IN HISTORY! No state income tax, hence onerous prop tax increases.
The price of the property is irrelevant. Your example reflects SIMPLE SUPPLY AND DEMAND...which has nothing to do with the TAX RATE. Property tax increases in Texas are directly atributable to Bush's stupid and blind adherence to pseudo Reagan voodoo economics. We're just getting a larger scale screwing than the good folks of Texas. A macro-economic hosing, if you will.

Personally, if I were making 26 MILLION a yr. and paying the same taxes as someone only making 200 thousand...I'd be ashamed. How can you possilbly rationalize that huge discrepancy?

Do you think it's OK to NOT PAY ANY TAXES on 25.8 MILLION in INCOME?

WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 04-27-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:50 AM
MigraSVX

Hah, not paying taxes on 25.8mil... Really hard to refute that point.
You have to ask yourself, regardless of your partisanship, because that's not going to change, do the rich deserve to not pay as much in taxes by % of income as the rest of us? As I see it, the case could be made that it is discrimination against the poor. Let's have the rich paying the same 10~27% income tax (As we're not going to agree which it is) that the rest of us are paying. Yeah, 25% of 26million is more than I'll see in a lifetime. Why should the government get it? Because they live in our country. I get the feeling if the same question were asked to our forefathers, that the idea of all men being created equal might be brought up. If you can see the forefathers being opposed to these tax regulations, one could further make the argument that it is unconstitutional, and therefore the Supreme Court's job to overrule it.

Not that I haven't picked sides on each of these issues, but I just wish we didn't have democrats and republicans. Both sides tend to vote along party lines, and are even influenced before their vote based on what side they've signed onto. Sounds like we're not able to pick our leaders by what is most important to us, but by what the party says we should do. Sucks
Old 04-27-2006, 04:52 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
d00d. This is simple supply and demand. Monopolistic competition, when demand is very inelastic, if you raise the price, but keep the same output, people will pay. Gas is an inelastic item, and big oil is milking it for all it's worth.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
When GW became Gov of Texas they had the largest surplus in state history...when Bush left they had the BIGGEST DEFICIT IN HISTORY! No state income tax, hence onerous prop tax increases.
The price of the property is irrelevant. Your example reflects SIMPLE SUPPLY AND DEMAND...which has nothing to do with the TAX RATE. Property tax increases in Texas are directly atributable to Bush's stupid and blind adherence to pseudo Reagan voodoo economics. We're just getting a larger scale screwing than the good folks of Texas. A macro-economic hosing, if you will.
That is the same thing that happend in almost every state. In Wisconsin under a Democratic Governor and Democratic state assembly, we also went from a record surplus to a record deficit.

Plus our property taxes are already the second highest in the nation. Plus we have a state income tax.
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigraSVX
Hah, not paying taxes on 25.8mil... Really hard to refute that point.
Actually it is quite easy. Taxes are based on your adjusted gross income, not gross income. The Kerry's and the Kennedy's only pay taxes on a small fraction of their income. The tax code has loop holes made by the same politicians and their supporters that benefit from it. They create foundations, holding companies, etc. and sell and move assets and income around to keep their adjusted gross income down. Its not affiliated with one party, but with a wealthy class that is politicians and political contributors on both sides of the isles. No political party is any more fair to the common folk than the other party.

For instance, I own 100% of my company. For myself I pay Federal tax, State tax, double FICA and Medicare (half from my check and matching from the company), State Unemployment tax, Federal unemployment tax. Property tax and my favorite tax, Business equipment tax! When you add them all up, 72.56% of what I bill a client goes to those taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigraSVX
You have to ask yourself, regardless of your partisanship, because that's not going to change, do the rich deserve to not pay as much in taxes by % of income as the rest of us? As I see it, the case could be made that it is discrimination against the poor. Let's have the rich paying the same 10~27% income tax (As we're not going to agree which it is) that the rest of us are paying. Yeah, 25% of 26million is more than I'll see in a lifetime. Why should the government get it? Because they live in our country. I get the feeling if the same question were asked to our forefathers, that the idea of all men being created equal might be brought up. If you can see the forefathers being opposed to these tax regulations, one could further make the argument that it is unconstitutional, and therefore the Supreme Court's job to overrule it.
This is why income tax needs to be abolished and replaced with a federal sales tax. The less you spend, the less you pay. The poor buy a used Honda, the rich buy a new Mercedes. Non-prepared groceries would remain untaxed and utilities would become non-taxable.

There would be no need for IRA's 401Ks etc because there is no income tax to deal with. You just invest your retirement money how you see fit and withdraw it whenever you like.

http://www.fairtax.org
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Link Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
Would you please provide a link to this important report you reference. I would love to read it. Believe it or not I am open minded and realistic about things even though somewhat pragmatic.

As another thought though, I could give you a few examples of how GAO looks at things. It might be a bit of an eye opener to realize that many of their supposed "savings" are pie in the sky and not real savings.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 04-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
Actually it is quite easy. Taxes are based on your adjusted gross income, not gross income. The Kerry's and the Kennedy's only pay taxes on a small fraction of their income. The tax code has loop holes made by the same politicians and their supporters that benefit from it. They create foundations, holding companies, etc. and sell and move assets and income around to keep their adjusted gross income down. Its not affiliated with one party, but with a wealthy class that is politicians and political contributors on both sides of the isles. No political party is any more fair to the common folk than the other party.

For instance, I own 100% of my company. For myself I pay Federal tax, State tax, double FICA and Medicare (half from my check and matching from the company), State Unemployment tax, Federal unemployment tax. Property tax and my favorite tax, Business equipment tax! When you add them all up, 72.56% of what I bill a client goes to those taxes.
Holy crap! That is rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds

This is why income tax needs to be abolished and replaced with a federal sales tax. The less you spend, the less you pay. The poor buy a used Honda, the rich buy a new Mercedes. Non-prepared groceries would remain untaxed and utilities would become non-taxable.

There would be no need for IRA's 401Ks etc because there is no income tax to deal with. You just invest your retirement money how you see fit and withdraw it whenever you like.

http://www.fairtax.org
I AGREE!!!!

I've been asking people why a straight sales tax isn't used for a while.. It would probably save several hundred trees a year as well. (just for those hippies...)

I think it really comes down to all the accountants that would lose their jobs...

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Consumption Tax

I would also strongly support a consumption tax (sales tax) as indicated with the basic needs tax exempt. It is the ONLY fair and equitable system.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE