Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 03:30 PM

NEW STI 6spd on EBIZZLE

yup, thats right,

i dunno if you guys saw this one, looks pretty sweet

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

price is up there tho not to mention shipping

but you gotta do what you gotta do for the 6spd i guess

one would need a new diff too for this to work, correct?
Old 02-26-2005, 04:25 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
At $1,575.00 and reserve has already been met?!

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 02-26-2005, 05:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
yeah why so cheap?

Why no warranty?

I've had my eye on this but I don't think I can come up with the funds in time

Alex -> I know you did a 6speed swap .......anything DRASTICALLY different than a 5spd swap (would be hydraulic)?

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 02-27-2005, 08:56 AM
I live in a drawer!

Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen
Alex -> I know you did a 6speed swap .......anything DRASTICALLY different than a 5spd swap (would be hydraulic)?
Nothing too crazy, just more time, money, and a slightly reworked tranny crossmember.

</hijack>

Old 02-27-2005, 12:23 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
They list the weight as 500 lbs. Off by about a factor of 2. Note that they will only do local pickup. I'd bet its out of a USDM STi.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:25 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by alex_umn

Nothing too crazy, just more time, money, and a slightly reworked tranny crossmember.

</hijack>

Hey Alex, don't the 6MT comes with an electric gear oil pump? If so, did you wire up the pump?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:57 PM

so in recap....

to do the 6spd swap you will need

-STI tranny
-STI Clutch/flywheel
-STI tranny mount
-STI rear diff
-STI Shifter
-STI hydraulic clutch assembly
-STI open front diff?
-Pedals
-"slightly reworked crossmember"
-lots of time
-lots of $$$
-a dedication to your car that is unnatural and even creepy to the uninitiated...
-and to stiffen shifts.... stiffened rear subframe mounts?

am i forgetting anything?

Alex_umn you are the expert here..
Old 02-28-2005, 02:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 6MT from the STi does not require a rear change. Due to the final ratio of the tranny, our SVX rear works perfectly as is when using the 6MT.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:34 PM
sans SVX

Re: so in recap....

STi clutch/flywheel or WRX clutch/flywheel will work. A 3.9 r&p are needed in the rear diff. You can either swap out the entire OEM diff, or insert the 3.9 r&p in the OEM diff. Front diff is included in the tranny. There is some debate as to whether the STi front halfshafts are needed. The 6MT is apparently a little wider than the 5MT/4EAT, and the STi front halfshafts are supposedly a little shorter.

Quote:
Originally posted by intellibomb
to do the 6spd swap you will need

-STI tranny
-STI Clutch/flywheel
-STI tranny mount
-STI rear diff
-STI Shifter
-STI hydraulic clutch assembly
-STI open front diff?
-Pedals
-"slightly reworked crossmember"
-lots of time
-lots of $$$
-a dedication to your car that is unnatural and even creepy to the uninitiated...
-and to stiffen shifts.... stiffened rear subframe mounts?

am i forgetting anything?

Alex_umn you are the expert here..

Visit my locker

Old 02-28-2005, 06:19 PM

hmmm thanks

i have been wondering that myself for a while...

i have read much about the 5mt swap

but the 6mt is somewhat uncharted territory, except for perhaps alex (anyone else?)

that would be the trickest mod i can think of, paired with longassname's ecutune stage III

DAMN the svx would be such a hot ride
that is how it should have come from the factory...
too bad it took em another ten years to catch on

so, if you use the old rear diff then the gears need swapping, or you can just get the STi rear diff altogether? am i understanding correctly?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:20 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by intellibomb
hmmm thanks

so, if you use the old rear diff then the gears need swapping, or you can just get the STi rear diff altogether? am i understanding correctly?
Yep, that's correct. However, if you use the STi rear diff, you also need to use the STi rear halfshafts too. The STi rear diff and rear halfshafts raise the price by over $500.

BTW, I forgot that an STi or WRX starter are needed too.

Visit my locker

Old 02-28-2005, 11:11 PM

Where are the (stub shafts ?) for the front half shafts? That seems like a great price if you really trust the seller. I wonder which year it is 04, or 05 asumings its a U.S. 6spd. I thought the 6spd had the weird reduction 1to1.1 thing for the center diff so our rear diff would work. A WRX cltuch assembley would work don't need a 6spd one so thats not horibley expensive.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Yep, that's correct. However, if you use the STi rear diff, you also need to use the STi rear halfshafts too. The STi rear diff and rear halfshafts raise the price by over $500.

BTW, I forgot that an STi or WRX starter are needed too.
I was seeing r180s sell by there self for $800, plus probley another couple $100 for half shafts, that really pushes that price up. Will U.S. hubs even acept r180 half shafts, or would we need to get some r180s ones from forign SVXs?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:05 AM
I live in a drawer!

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Hey Alex, don't the 6MT comes with an electric gear oil pump? If so, did you wire up the pump?
Sorry, I missed subscribing to this thread so I didn't realize there were responses...

There are only a few electrical connections on the six-speed STi boxes, including the reverse sensor and neutral sensor, speedo sensor and the DCCD hardware if applicable. The oil pump is mechanically driven and there is an external oil pipe. I've never seen pictures of an external tranny oil cooler in use, but I imagine that is where it would tap in. Here's a pic of the backup sensor, neutral sensor, and oil pipe: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil..._umn/25280.jpg

More later...

Old 03-01-2005, 10:26 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by svxsubaru1

I was seeing r180s sell by there self for $800, plus probley another couple $100 for half shafts, that really pushes that price up. Will U.S. hubs even acept r180 half shafts, or would we need to get some r180s ones from forign SVXs?
Yeah, the R180's I've seen for sale are in that price range. Same with the halfshafts. I purposefully put in a low cost because I figured maybe someone knows a better deal than me.

The SVX hubs do indeed accept the R180 STi halfshafts. I'm sure this is, in part, due to the fact that the SVX rear wheel bearing is the same as the STi rear wheel bearing. As a side note, the rear WRX hubs do not work with the R180 STi halfshafts. Too bad for them. They have to buy hubs, backing plates, calipers, and rotors. Considerably jacks up the price.

Visit my locker