SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 08:18 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Choice of Rotors on eBay

I have been looking for rotors on eBay for some time.
My preference has been to get them from Canada. But now that the guy in Ontario has them, they are not slotted, or Zinc'd, and for the same price I can probably get from the US, with a quick trip to the border for pickup.

The prices range from $119-$155, and higher for i-rotor or race concepts, for both front and rears.
Does anybody have any opinion on whether I should save my money and just get the cheapies, or should I spend extra?

I don't drive on the highway ( we only have one), we don't have salt in Vancouver(on the roads, moron ) and my driving is just steady city traffic.

My existing rotors are pulsing a wee bit, and the brake pads are ceramics(not noisy anymore, but I'm sure it will come back)
here are my choices:
1) eBay rotor#1 for $139
2)eBay rotors #2 for $155
3) eBay rotors#3 for $119
4) eBay item#4 Rotrs from i-rotor for $239

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms

Last edited by CDG; 11-08-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I know of a local SVXer in C'ville (AmazonParrot) who bought F+R iRotors and he's had no problems with them. They've been on his car for several months and his driving style is pretty aggressive.

Your driving style sounds pretty tame, so I'm sure whatever rotors you go with they'll last pretty long. The cheap stuff may not have any kind of rust guard, so the middle part that fits over the hub may get a nasty rust brown color after winter....

Personally, I'd go for the $60 OE style rotors that my local Advance Auto Parts sells... They're made by Raybestos and they wear as well as OE IMHO.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-09-2004, 08:45 AM

I have the cheapies

I got the cheap slotted and drilled rotors but I also made the mistake and got the cheapie pads. Thats where the mistake is made. They squeek non stop inan annoying deafening tone. My brake shop said to have the slotted ones That Id have to get the dual piston set-ups and maybe I should have listened. Id say steer away from the slotted and definitely buy ceramic pads. Ive had so much trouble outta my svx Im being forced to sell it so dont make my mistake and go to far out of stock.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:59 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
I currently have Cermaic pads and they squeeled for a while but after I worked them in they are almost silent...almost.
For slotted/drilled the OEM pads are recommended, they provide great braking with drilled/slotted for an average user like me. And are silent.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 11-10-2004, 10:54 AM

ive been pretty insterested in these rotors on ebay too...i was looking into buying the irotors when they had the kit of all four rotors with brake lines and crematic pads....im interested to know which would be best for me along with pads...i drive mostly city and hit some freeway use and i do drive agressevly sometimes...only when im excited but i was thinking about the dilled/slotted irotors with some carbon fiber pads from dayle....dont know if this is a good combination..i could use some feedback...
Thanks,
David

***sold***

"was" The Only Subaru Svx Owner in Laredo Tx., or maybe atleast only owner registered here....

http://www.cardomain.com/id/phoenix_3737

Last edited by Phoenix_3737; 11-10-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:59 AM

Rotors are cheap it seems, Pads not.

I think my rotors were 165 plus 20 shipping and handling for all four. I think they are adequately made but I just tried to get away too cheap. My brake guy said to get the ceramic but now Im seeing Kevlar and phoenix now mentions carbon fibers available. Im thinking now of taking the old setup from my parts car and putting them back on my car just to take it back to stock. If Subaru spent the time already to test it maybe I should stop wasting time testing something else. Anyone have the Kevlar pads. 18.99 shipped on ebay. Everything else is good made of Kevlar.......; but brakes?