SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 09:26 AM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
heat shield removal

Ive removed the heat shield up to the ones around the O2 sensors. Is it ok to remove these too? There is some type of boot right above them and i dont want to melt it, but i have got to get rid of this rattle before i go insane. I keep having exhaust work done but it rattles so bad i cant even here the note anymore.

Is it actually possible for that shield to rattle that bad or could it be something else, the entire exhaust is redone fromt that point back. Flowmaster. no resonators or cats.

Last edited by mranderson; 07-14-2004 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:44 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
There's only one resonator in the stock exhaust system. The other three items in front of it are cats.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:20 PM
The One

im a freakin idiot, i meant heat shields...............AAAAAAHHHHHHH

i am hurt by my on stupidity....

the title of the thread should be heat shield removal......dumb dumb dumb

hey look at that i can change the title, so it says the right thing now

Last edited by mranderson; 07-14-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Got 'resonance' on the brain!

You can remove the heat shields, but I know for a fact that the wire to the O2 sensor on the secondary cat runs along the outside of a heat shield for about 2' before entering some socket. If you remove the shields, be sure that you secure all loose wires away from the exhaust pipes with some type of durable fastner.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-14-2004, 03:30 PM
The One

so i dont have to worry about that rubber boot melting....just had to replace two tires and money is now very low....
Old 07-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

By 'rubber boot' do you mean the exhaust hangers that are connected to the frame via a rubber bushing?

I seriously doubt it'll melt, but high temps over time causes rubber to become stiff and cracked.

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by mranderson
so i dont have to worry about that rubber boot melting....just had to replace two tires and money is now very low....

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-14-2004, 06:15 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Do you mean the CV joint boot? Removing the heat shields may somewhat shorten the life of the boot, but you could always wrap the exhaust pipes with thermal wrap.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:08 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Re: heat shield removal

Quote:
Ive removed the heat shield up to the ones around the O2 sensors. Is it ok to remove these too? There is some type of boot right above them and i dont want to melt it, but i have got to get rid of this rattle before i go insane. I keep having exhaust work done but it rattles so bad i cant even here the note anymore.

Is it actually possible for that shield to rattle that bad or could it be something else, the entire exhaust is redone fromt that point back. Flowmaster. no resonators or cats.
It's quite possible you were correct in your titling... a rattle from under the car MIGHT be caused by a bad resonator. One of the first things I did to my SVX when I bought her was remove the resonator as I'd also done the same mod on my 94 when I had her (search the archives... I've been around here a long time...)

Anyway, the rattle of a resonator sounds like heat shields... or "bees in a coffee can" would be more accurate. The difference in sound is minimal, and I've noticed no difference in performance.

As far as the shields over the cats... I'd leave them there myself. You could PM Halistan or check his locker... he has a complete custom exhaust on his 93 which sounds awesome... but he kept the heat shields up front.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:56 AM
no limitation as limitation

WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT DAMAGE THE EXAUST HANGERS.!!! 15 a peace for the 2 point dimond shaped and the v shaped 3 point no longer EXIST. i just tried to order the latter of the two from the dealer and he said "no wharehouse in america has them"
Old 07-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthewmongan
I just tried to order the latter of the two from the dealer and he said "no wharehouse in america has them"
Do you mean #9 here?
Old 07-15-2004, 11:04 AM

Smile Resonator Replaced

I just had my Resonator replaced by Midas yesterday. I had removed 2 pieces of heat shield previously over a 2 year period which worked but the noise came back after about 1 yr. each time.
After reading some posts here I had it replaced. I want to thank you for the the info. because yes, it was the resonator this time and the SVX is silent now.

Old 07-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You should have let me know. My resonator was still quiet when I removed it in place of the Stebro. I could have gave you a good deal on it.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:52 AM
no limitation as limitation

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Do you mean #9 here?

its # 23 i wish i had that site a week ago