How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2004, 07:57 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

The SVreX is a '92 LS-L. Before any changes were made we weighed it on electronic race style corner scales. It was 3566 lbs. with no driver and a full tank of gas.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 04-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Ya I don't even remember where I got that # from anymore. 3700 is incorrect. It's 3580. my bad
Old 04-21-2004, 09:02 PM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
so is everything going to be a package deal for stage 2 other than the plugs? or are we goin to have to buy some stuff like the wamer?
Old 04-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
the fwd final drive is 3.70 the awd is 3.56 or whatever.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Just some dude.

Ok we definitely need to stop throwing #'s around here..now I'm even making mistakes. I'm pround mine wasn't the most egregious though
Old 04-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by mranderson
so is everything going to be a package deal for stage 2 other than the plugs? or are we goin to have to buy some stuff like the wamer?
Would you like me to come over and wash your car after the install too

Plugs and bottle warmers aren't included but I can sell them too if you like.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Maniac modifier

i think it would be a good idea to include the plugs, so no one accidentally(Not knowing what they are doing) gets tyhe wrong ones. Just a suggestion
Old 04-21-2004, 09:53 PM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
Quote:
Originally posted by longassname

Would you like me to come over and wash your car after the install too

Plugs and bottle warmers aren't included but I can sell them too if you like.
actually now that you mention it, it is quite dirty.......so sure that would be nice
Old 04-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Maniac modifier

i have been discussing the syage 2 kit wiht many people and they are impressed with your work. Everyone i speak to seems to worry about the affects this will have on the motor. I am beginning to become quite curious myself. Is this kit completely safe when installed and used properly, or are we looking at something that will eventually lead up to major engine failure?? Just want to know for safety sake
Old 04-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
i have been discussing the syage 2 kit wiht many people and they are impressed with your work. Everyone i speak to seems to worry about the affects this will have on the motor. I am beginning to become quite curious myself. Is this kit completely safe when installed and used properly, or are we looking at something that will eventually lead up to major engine failure?? Just want to know for safety sake
Well I'm certainly not planning on blowing my motor any time soon. Driving your car will eventually lead to major engine failure. Yes, someday it will wear out. Will producing 400 hp put more wear on the motor than 250? Yes, more horsepower equals more stress and wear. What is the max amount of hp an svx motor can handle without catastrophic engine failure? Nobody knows since nobody has ever generated real horsepower in one before yesterday. The general consensus seems to be that they can handle quite a bit. Yesterdays run shows they can at least handle however much horsepower that was. To date nobody has blown an svx engine from too much horsepower. All failures that I'm aware of have been either your typical daily driver issues or from people that ran misconceived set ups. I understand someone has broken a rod and then sighted it as being an obvious week point of the engine but looking at the set up it seems pretty apparant that was a result of detonation. The setup that happened on was both obviously not generating near the horsepower we did yesterday and one that was prone to detonation right from the drawing board. I personally never would have run it. During detonation a cyllinder is firing trying to force the piston down while the crankshaft is trying to force it up. In that kind of push pull situation mechanical stresses as well as heat are many times multiplied beyond normal. MANY times MULTIPLIED. The whole point of the stage 2 kit is that the chip provides the ability to safely tune the car to run a large nitrous oxide kit. Without the chip a large nitrous oxide kit can not safely be run. A nitrous oxide laden intage charge burns faster than a mixture of air and fuel. The more nitrous oxide you use the faster the charge combusts. The faster a charge burns the later you must ignite it in order for combustion to reach peak at the correct point of the piston stroke. As a general rule for every 50 hp ignition timing must be retarded two degrees. Since nobody has had the ability to do that before no one has ever been able to run a large shot of nitrous before. Because we do have that ability we are able to do so. Don't anybody kid themselves, nitrous oxide is racing equipement and like anything for racing use with it comes no guarantees; however, if used propperly you shouldn't have any fear of it either.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Jedi Member

*claps* Good speech for the uninformed. (like myself)
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 04-22-2004, 06:30 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Also a good speech for basically agreeing with what I said about JSVXstyle. >wink<
Old 04-22-2004, 09:26 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by longassname

... Nobody knows since nobody has ever generated real horsepower in one before yesterday. ...

That's a pretty bold statement. I can think of at least one person that might be inclined to disagree with you. I'm pretty sure that elninoalex was running low 14's with his dry NOS kit before he converted the car to a 5MT.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

That's a pretty bold statement. I can think of at least one person that might be inclined to disagree with you. I'm pretty sure that elninoalex was running low 14's with his dry NOS kit before he converted the car to a 5MT.
Ok, not trying to threaten anyone elses feelings of accomplishment. Let me reword that sentence to say nobody has made enough horsepower to cause catastrophic engine failure due to the increase in cyllinder pressure. I think most people understood that and took it propperly.

As far as what who may have run in the quarter mile I don't know. I'm not very comfortable with all the unverified #'s being thrown around. I've gone to great lengths to document this project for everyone's benefit and understanding. The posting of the gtech calculations made in our first trial run was part of that documentation--done only to help keep everyone informed of the process we are going through. The same goes for the #'s I'll post from the next run--they are being posted to help illustrate the process and one of the sources of information I am using to do my initial tuning. I hope my sharing those inaccurate #'s doesn't continue to encourage others to post their inaccurate #'s for comparison.

Now I'm not going to sit here and try to rule judgement on who's #'s are accurate, who's are innacurate, and who's are outright lies. Those arguements have filled plenty of other threads and have no appropriateness here. I would ask that everyone try to resist throwing them around from now on.

Ok, the above was about the general state of the thread recently. Now in reply to your post in particular, mbtoloczko. Part of the problem with using #'s as self evident of something is that they aren't self evident of any one particular idea. I'm not sure what your main idea was. We're you saying that you believe elninoalex's car was generating more horsepower than we did on our first test run or just complaining about the use of the phrase "real horsepower". If you were proposing that elninoalex's motor was generating more horespower than we did in our first test run I would have to dissagree based on your description of his setup but either way it doesn't effect the points I was making in my reply to tomssvx. If you found my wording to be discounting other peoples efforts and result...my appologies.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Porter

I seriously doubt you're even close to the cylinder pressure limit of an SVX motor yet. I expect the 400hp level to be obtainable before cylinder pressure becomes a concern. As you stated before, detonation is the enemy, not cylinder pressure.

All you need now is boooost.