How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 03:41 PM

HID kits

Hey guys I was thinking of getting an HID conversion kit for the svx. Even though the lights are bright to some ppl, I have a really hard time seeing @ night in the rain. I would think HID's would really brighten up the picture. Did anyone do a conversion kit, or does anyone have pics of the SVX with HIDS? I want to see how it looks. I figured it would work fine since the car has projector low beams, so it shouldn't be a problem. I also would appreciate links to sites that still sell the conversion kits. I remember them being sold on some sites for about $350. My friend got a conversion kit for his car and it looks good, but he had to update his headlight housings to projo's so they would work correctly.

Any input would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 04:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Look in Mike's (Green1995SVX) locker. He converted his car to HID projectors.

Mike had to use parts from other donor cars - I'm pretty sure that there are no 'kits' available to convert the car to HIDs.

Are your lenses cloudy? That can cut down the amount of light by a great deal. Mine are clear, but I bought PIAA 'Platinum' low-beam lamps. They're rather bright - I have no complaints about them.

I think the lighting in the SVX is rather good with those PIAAs. As long as you can keep the lenses clear, it's a great setup.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-19-2003, 04:09 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
There is no real HID kits. Also, you can not put a HID blub into the current projector since they are not designed for that. You should be able to get the HID donor pretty cheap now. I have my ballasts and bulbs but I have yet to go get me a projector so that I don't blind the cars coming at me or cars that are infront of me.

Remember, safety is the most important thing. A true HID system will have an autoleveling system as well. Something we can not have yet.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-19-2003, 05:37 PM
subapowas

Re: HID kits

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXGIRL182
Hey guys I was thinking of getting an HID conversion kit for the svx. Even though the lights are bright to some ppl, I have a really hard time seeing @ night in the rain. I would think HID's would really brighten up the picture. Did anyone do a conversion kit, or does anyone have pics of the SVX with HIDS? I want to see how it looks. I figured it would work fine since the car has projector low beams, so it shouldn't be a problem. I also would appreciate links to sites that still sell the conversion kits. I remember them being sold on some sites for about $350. My friend got a conversion kit for his car and it looks good, but he had to update his headlight housings to projo's so they would work correctly.

Any input would be great.

Thanks
Actually, motorsportswarehouse.com has a few decent HID upgrades for the SVX. They also have about the best selection of aftermarket parts I've seen for the SVX. You could also try their crystal clear lense covers. They look much cooler than the stock covers and provide more light output. If HID's are to expensive you could try an upgraded bulb. I had Sylvania Silverstars in my car for a while. They were pretty bright and seemed to be the closest thing to HID in a simple bulb replacement. They don't last very long though and are about $20 a piece. Anyway, I definitly reccomend you take a look at Motorsportswarehouse. They have great parts and the guys will work with you on pricing.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:56 PM

This is what I was afraid of. Sure you can go buy the "kit" from a store. Hell, I can go buy it from a ricer store down the street. They come with a ballast, and a bulb and they'll even give you an adapter for the D2S/D2R bulb for your current bulb. The point is that your current projector is not designed for the HID D2S bulbs. The HID projectors are oval shaped and our projectors are circular. The beam pattern is going to be different is you are going to blind the people.

I think Dayle has a good selection of items. It's just that just buying a kit and putting it in the car is not safe for people driving with you on the streets. Although I do own the streets I share that with everyone and I don't want anyone to get into an accident because of me.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 11-19-2003, 05:59 PM

Re: Re: HID kits

Quote:
Originally posted by subapowas
You could also try their crystal clear lense covers. They look much cooler than the stock covers and provide more light output.
Actually, it's smallcar.com that made the clear lenses. It's not a bolt on 5 minute job

How do you know they provide more light output then the stock lense? The lines in the lense are there to focus the light -- you do know that right? I love the clear lenses. I am going to get one but I just want you to get your facts straight first.

I am not trying to sound mean or anything. It's just that I have been involved with the lights and electrical a lot more. Chances are you know more about the engine and drivetrain more than I do.

Last edited by Seraph; 11-19-2003 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:08 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
Doesn't Prova/eifel make an HID kit? I don't know how you'd get it, but it is listed on their site being for the SVX.
-Nathan

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 11-19-2003, 08:25 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Uh.. a little FYI. HID's are WORSE in the rain than standard halogens. If you really want better vision in crappy rainy/snowy weather, you need YELLOW light. I can find a link if you don't believe me, or you can just take my word for it, but its somethign with how water diffuses (the sky is blue because of water vapor and the way light goes through it, and blue light in the rain is the absolute WORST shade of light to have)

- Rob
Old 11-19-2003, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Uh.. a little FYI. HID's are WORSE in the rain than standard halogens. If you really want better vision in crappy rainy/snowy weather, you need YELLOW light. I can find a link if you don't believe me, or you can just take my word for it, but its somethign with how water diffuses (the sky is blue because of water vapor and the way light goes through it, and blue light in the rain is the absolute WORST shade of light to have)

- Rob
I have to agree with Rob on that. They are brighter on regular conditions but in the fog and rain, you want them as yellow as you can get.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:18 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
This is what I was afraid of. Sure you can go buy the "kit" from a store. Hell, I can go buy it from a ricer store down the street. They come with a ballast, and a bulb and they'll even give you an adapter for the D2S/D2R bulb for your current bulb. The point is that your current projector is not designed for the HID D2S bulbs. The HID projectors are oval shaped and our projectors are circular. The beam pattern is going to be different is you are going to blind the people.

I think Dayle has a good selection of items. It's just that just buying a kit and putting it in the car is not safe for people driving with you on the streets. Although I do own the streets I share that with everyone and I don't want anyone to get into an accident because of me.
I have had our HID kit in all my SVXs for over 2 yrs
The projector still put it out flat and low and never ever
had any problems with on coming traffic.
Even my Soarer with factory projectors has an HID kit in
it with no issues.
Ive even gone as far as letting my friend drive my car around
at nite with me driving their car and seeing how my headlights look to on coming drivers, .....turns out they just look blueish
but no offensive glare
We also sell H3 and 9005 bulbs in a cool Yellow for those "foggy"
nite driving !!
(link to store below)

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 11-20-2003, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX

I have had our HID kit in all my SVXs for over 2 yrs
The projector still put it out flat and low and never ever
had any problems with on coming traffic.
Even my Soarer with factory projectors has an HID kit in
it with no issues.
Ive even gone as far as letting my friend drive my car around
at nite with me driving their car and seeing how my headlights look to on coming drivers, .....turns out they just look blueish
but no offensive glare
We also sell H3 and 9005 bulbs in a cool Yellow for those "foggy"
nite driving !!
(link to store below)
Dayle, I did not say that they will not work. I just say that for legal reasons, you should not try them. The beam patterns are slightly different between the HID projectors and NON HID projectors as well. Ours is slightly wider than the OEM HID cars. Most of the times, it will be fine with the current projector. But if there was an inspection, chances are it will not pass. If they do, they will not be sold as "off road use only" I am not picking on you. I am just trying to reason this out. Also, we(the members here) had this discussion numerous times.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Green1995SVX

I tried a number of times to make an HID bulb work in a stock svx projector. I just dont think it's possible without creating at least some glare above the cutoff. I ultimately went with the BMW 7 series projectors which are a perfect fit for the svx headlights.

Mike
Old 11-20-2003, 09:53 AM

How are the 7 series projectors? I am thinking of going with the A6. If the 7 series fits better, I may have to go that route. I still don't have a projector yet so I am now in the market for that as well as a couple of things.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Green1995SVX

Here is a 7 series projector installed in the OEM inner lamp bracket.

http://www.subarusvx.org/mike/newhid/P1010048.JPG

This shows what it looks like put together:

http://www.subarusvx.org/mike/newhid/P1010057.JPG

Here they are all done and turned on:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...95SVX/7113.JPG

The Audi A-6 projectors will NOT fit inside the SVX housings. They are too big. The only projectors currently made that will fit (as far as i know) are the Audi S4 and the bmw 7 series.

Mike
Old 11-20-2003, 10:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

The Audi A-6 projectors will NOT fit inside the SVX housings. They are too big. The only projectors currently made that will fit (as far as i know) are the Audi S4 and the bmw 7 series.

Mike

A BEAUTIFUL FIT! Are the A4 and S4 projectors the same?