Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Registered Abuser

Perrin Light Crank Pulley

Wow, the difference is really noticeable. More than I was hoping for. This thing really jumps off the line now. It doesn't underdrive the components, its just lightweight. It cost $130 and took about 20 minutes to install. And I even took out my radiator when I didn't need to. It probably wouldn't do as much for an AT as for MT, but probably still pretty good.

Stephen
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 05-06-2003, 12:17 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
thats my next modification, sounds good to me!
phil
Old 05-06-2003, 06:34 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Perrin Light Crank Pulley

Quote:
Originally posted by elninoalex
Wow, the difference is really noticeable. More than I was hoping for. This thing really jumps off the line now. It doesn't underdrive the components, its just lightweight. It cost $130 and took about 20 minutes to install. And I even took out my radiator when I didn't need to. It probably wouldn't do as much for an AT as for MT, but probably still pretty good.

Stephen
Any thoughts about the lack of harmonic balancing with the lightweight pulley?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Don't worry about it, and do a search on it. There've been topics ont his in the past.

- Rob
Old 05-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Green1995SVX

I'm running an RVM underdrive pulley. It made a performance difference, and made the engine sound a little different too. I havent noticed any problems.

Mike
Old 05-06-2003, 08:39 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Don't worry about it, and do a search on it. There've been topics ont his in the past.

- Rob
I've read all the old posts, and I don't recall having read one that convinced me that using a lighter weight pulley was safe in the long term.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:27 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
the stock pulley does not have a harmoic ballancer

no subarus do

the boxer design is inherently ballanced and does not need harmonic ballancing
Old 05-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW
the stock pulley does not have a harmoic ballancer

no subarus do

the boxer design is inherently ballanced and does not need harmonic ballancing
Yes it does. Mine did anyway.

Mike
Old 05-06-2003, 09:36 PM
abrasive personality

pictures, i need pictures
Old 05-11-2003, 12:39 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW
pictures, i need pictures
They do have a harmonic balancer. Actually, the more technically accurate term is a harmonic dampener. They are used to dampen and reduce twisting of the crankshaft. A crankshaft seems completely rigid to us, but just like anything made of metal, it can be flexed if enough force is applied. Imagine what happens when cylinders 1 or 2 fire on an SVX engine. They can induce a twist in the crankshaft because the other end of the shaft is attached to a rather large mass that has a big rotational moment of inertia that will resist any change in rotational speed. Every flexible system has a frequency which it will vibrate at, and if the system is not properly damped, a forced vibration at the same frequency as the "natural" vibration frequency will cause vibrations to build in amplitude, perhaps to the point of self-destruction. The Tacoma-Narrows bridge is a classic example of this. The harmonic damper reduces the twisting by adding rotational inertia to the front of the crankshaft, and it dampens the vibrations with the hunk of metal attached to the rubber ring.

I think people get away with removing the damper because boxer engines have a very short crankshaft, and with our motors, the firing order helps to minimize twisting. My feeling is that this does not mean that its ok to toss the damper though. It seems that there are some issues with lightweight pulleys on the Subaru 4 cylinder motors. Check out this thread on NASIOC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...n&pagenumber=1

In this thread, several people have reported that around 6500 rpm in their WRX motors, their engines start having problems due to the ECU being confused about the actual RPM of the motor. Removal of the lightweight pulley stopped the problem. It seems to me that our SVX motors with a longer crankshaft could perhaps be more susceptible to such a problem. I would be curious to know if anyone here using a lightweight pulley has noticed any odd engine behavior at higher rpms.

Visit my locker

Old 05-11-2003, 08:34 PM
abrasive personality

dampener makes mroe sense

when you say balancer i think of inline and V engines, that have an actual weight on them to coutnerballance the uneven weight/force of the pistons and shaft.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:17 AM
sans SVX

food for thought...

I got this link off NASIOC:

http://www.dalemfg.com/dale_026.htm

Its kinda cool; it shows twisting of the crankshaft as function of engine RPM for two different harmonic dampers with different damping characteristics.

Here is the page from NASIOC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...y&pagenumber=2

It has a bunch more interesting links on the topic.

Visit my locker

Old 05-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

I read a recent article that

quoted the founder of a noted cam manufacturer (I believe it was Grassroots Motorsports and Harry Crane) who stated that any vibrations that the crank experienced would render calculations and performance of the camshafts irrelevant. The vibration was passed through the system affecting cam timing and subsequently flow rates.

As Harvey (oab_au) has stated time and time again, these will be detrimental to the longevity of an engine. This is especially critical in an all aluminum alloy engine which likes to rev. High-performance racing engines use harmonic dampeners, OEM performance cars use them, our cars (SVX, RS and WRX) came equipped with them from the factory. Why would you remove it?

Todd
Old 05-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Porter

The last time this topic came up I got patronized and talked down to extensively by several members of the board, including several from the other side of the globe. I wouldn't like to repeat that so I'll just throw out a disclaimer... please don't post in response to this thread if you have anything snide or patronizing to say.

Many motors have extreme trouble when you put a lightweight (solid) pulley on them... Miatas are an excellent example. They tend to have serious bearing issues after about 10 or 15k miles without their harmonic damper. Most inline engines have a great deal of trouble with this. V engines are somewhat better, but not great.... while BOXER engines seem to be largely free of the harmonic problems associated with other engine designs.

There are people on NASIOC who have run over FIFTY THOUSAND MILES with a lightweight pulley in place and experienced no issues. We ran one on the DNT project car until the supercharger was installed, and then we went back to the stock pulley for belt gearing reasons. We experienced no issues with the lightweight pulley, which was made by GoFastBits in Australia and came supplied with an alternator overdrive pulley to balance the duty on the alternator.

The hobbyist aircraft community uses EJ and EG series Subaru motors extensively, and have reported good long-term results using underdriven and/or lightweight pulleys on the Subaru motors.

I live in the same town with a major Porsche tuner (ProTech) and I was out there talking with John one day and we brought up the subject of lightweight pulleys. He says they use them in all their project cars unless the owner specifies otherwise... he says they've had no issues on the Porsche boxer motors, for the same reasons that we've seen none on Subaru motors... the horizontal design of the engine helps internally damp first order vibrations, and second order vibrations are nonexistent, the kind one would need a balancer shaft for in traditional inline or V design motors.

There has yet to be EVEN ONE documented case of a lightweight pulley causing any type of engine or mechanical failure on a Subaru.

There are hundreds of such cases in the Miata community.

Different engines, different paradigms. The "accepted wisdom" does NOT hold true in EVERY case. Subaru motors are an exception to the rule on harmonic damping.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:28 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Stop paitronizing me Porter!!!! You just broght up Miata's because that's what I drove to Reading!!!! Stop picking on Mazdas!!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...