Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 PM

STI suspension

Allrighty. Ive been wanting to post up on my suspension swap for a while. So, here we go.

As you all know, coilover and suspension upgrades for our cars are far and few between. And for some reason, the moment SVX is mentioned on a product, the price skyrockets!

So, one of the simpler upgrades you can do to your car is install an adjustable STI coilover system.
Its not as hard as it looks! Believe me. Here is the key. You need the suspension for a 2005 / 2007 STI. Thats because they have thicker uprights on the knuckles than a WRX.

To do this proper, you WILL need the adjustable camber plates to get the correct alignment on the rear suspension.

Start by creating a cardboard template. To do this, just jab come cardboard over the mounting brackets and then trace the plate out.

Mark a center point on the template and what orientation the bolts are. Then simply place it ontop of the strut tower or inside of the tower. Align the bolt holes so they are in the proper orientation and your center mark is in the middle of the tower hole.
Drill the 3 holes and and test fit the tophats.

Install to the uprights:
If you have the 05/07 sti coilovers, then the fronts will mount right up. Install the lower bolt into the coilover mounts. You will find that the upper mounting hole is apporx. .24" off where it needs to be for the SVX uprights.
Just take a 1/2" drill bit and ream out the holes on the coilover bracket to match. Install upper bolts and your done with the front.

For info on how to weld on tabs to keep the front swaybar, please refer to : http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41831

As I simply removed the front swaybar for one that ill will be fabricating at a later date.

The rear gets interesting. The template procedure is the same for the rear as it was the front. However the mounts for the uprights are too narrow and need to be widened to fit the thicker size of the svx knuckles. To widen them, I found it quick and easy to simply heat the coilover brackets with a torch and give them some quick love with a hammer to bend them outward just alittle bit. They then slide on nice and easy. The mounting holes are in the correct position on the brackets to mount with our uprights with out modifying them.

Thats is it! In my case, it took approx. 4 hours for the install with a floor jack and a drill.

Any questions, feel free to ask away.