Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2008, 03:53 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: TURBOs!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
So here's my question, if I'm serious about taking the steps and planning it out, since I already have a 5 speed am I better off holding off everything untill I get a stand alone and can afford the whole shi-bang at once??

Or

Do I take one of the other options looming at me behind these mysterious doors....

Door 1: Take the sweet deal on f/i motor upgrade parts and either,
A. not build it yet and sit and look at the parts as they sit in a box... untill I can afford the turbo and the rest of it all, or
B. build the motor slap on a smaller turbo with piping and everything set up for an almost plug and play replacement of a bigger turbo?(most immediately expensive option)

Door 2: Pass up the deal, save the money and wait for EM and buy my Koni build first and just stay N/A for a while.

Door 3: Wait for EM, turbo it with a smaller turbo, like mentioned before, but run small boost on stock internals, and save for motor build.

Any suggestions?
Any one would be ok.

Honestly, if you need to be F/I right away get whatever turbo you had planned on and just run it at low boost. Some kind of EM will really help with detonation (atleast ECUtune st2v.7).

If you want to go with a smaller turbo off the bat and then get a larger one later on down the road, try and use turbos with a universal (something with a t3 flange).

A GT3076R would be a decent turbo for low boost applications (while still netting you 250-300AWHP, easily)

I would really recomend a GT3582R if you plan on milking a few more ponies out.

A GT4088R would be good for high-hp with the right build and cams.

I don't really recommend anything other than a Garrett ball bearing unit.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company