Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Performance transmission build

Ok, time to prove the rumors right and start unveiling the performance 4eat build. I've been working on the ultimate 4eat rebuild for the svx. There's a lot involved in this so documenting and illustrating what I'm doing is difficult. Expect the thread and organization of pictures to be sloppy. There will be a a huge # of pictures posted; even still a lot won't be in pictures because no one was around to take a picture while I had my hands in that particular part.

The original plan was put together the ultimate rebuild kit consisting of the parts I am using to build the transmission for the sub 10 second car I'm putting together. It turned out more practical to offer the compete built transmissions (and I came back and edited this line to say that). The build is a job and a half and I found several critical points of failures that most transmission shops will probably just ignore even given the correct parts. I'll try to point them out as they pop up in pictures.

The build parts start with a complete set of super quality seals and gaskets. Most of these seals are from the same manufacturer as OEM but there are also some that are improved to prevent the leaks that create the pressure drops that are partly responsible for clutch pack burn outs and planetary over heating.

On to that are added parts to modify the fluid pressures of the various circuits. These are mostly springs and plungers in the valve body and accumulators but we also modify some fluid paths. What we are doing here is increasing the apply pressures on the clutch packs to increase their holding power, increasing the fluid flow to the planetary to improve lubrication, and modifying some shift pressures to quicken shifts.

The next major group of parts are the friction sets. Here we are replacing the frictions with graphite frictions which both last longer under daily driving conditions and have a higher friction coefficient under higher power levels. We use some special retaining plates to let us fit in more clutches for even higher power levels.

This is most of the parts originally planned to be used in the kit. Some more have been added during the course of the project. On the transmissions that I'm building I also replace the solenoids and torque converter.

Last edited by longassname; 03-21-2007 at 03:12 PM.