Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Cars For Sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Beautiful 36K silver on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...item2eb916ad62
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 11-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Beautiful 36K silver on eBay

Go ahead flame me . Over priced . L model no sun roof ,no leather seats, no CD player, Only thing going for it is VERY low miles and clean . IMHO the ones that are well maintained with 100,000 miles are just as capable to run another 50,000 as that one . For $4,000 I could make a $2,000 low mileage one look like that.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

plus that one is prime for a new tranny. Original tranny's on the 92's seemed to have failed within the 40 - 50k range
Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Come on, it looks awesome.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 11-11-2011, 07:41 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I would gather this car to be aimed at a more serious collector than driver.... I don't think anyone is going to buy this car and scream "Ima drive it till it dies!" just saying. @ 36k it's just barely broken in! (and nearly $14,000 off the list price ). They would probably let it go for 9,500, not that I think it should sell any less. First time I've seen a non-touring package interior 92 though... not that it means anything I suppose.

Does Jay Leno have one yet? I don't think he likes imports though? heh... he doesn't strike me as an import guy really... from the vids I've seen of his garage he seems more into the classics.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Registered SVX

There a dealer so the price is way jacked up. Im sure they gave whomever traded it in, like $3-$4k for it. I bet it sellsfor $6000 at most.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Go ahead flame me . Over priced . L model no sun roof ,no leather seats, no CD player, Only thing going for it is VERY low miles and clean . IMHO the ones that are well maintained with 100,000 miles are just as capable to run another 50,000 as that one . For $4,000 I could make a $2,000 low mileage one look like that.
Who cares about the lack of leather, CD player, or how long it will go... It's inconsequential. I'd never buy this SVX or any SVX for that matter as a car that would fulfill the needs you state. It's not a daily driver. "Clean" is the key word here and there is not exactly a glut of 36K mile SVX's on craigslist.

$4000 to make a car like this?!

I bought a 1997 SVX a few years ago that had 31K miles... currently has 38K miles. It's really clean, but just the cost of replacing some trim, molding, and a few plastic parts ran close to $1200. A windshield? We all know the story there....

And painting.... to properly paint the SVX (to a standard that is as good as or exceeds the factory paint) would run at least $5000 (probably $8000) if not more. Most of that is heavy duty labor in skilled craftsman that know how to execute a proper paint job on a car that is not like many other cars on the road. It's built differently, and many paint shops look at the trim and glass and scratch their heads... it's a ton of labor.

Here is an SVX where the hard part is not needed... cosmetic work. That is, by far the most expensive thing to do in these cars. Mechanicals... chump change in comparison. with a good amount of simple service oriented mechanical work, timing belt, gaskets, transmission, diffs... this SVX will run and look like a beauty. And for $12-$14K all in... you will have maybe one of nicest, cleanest SVX's in the US.

Take it to shows and win the trophy.

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 11-12-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Personal preference but, I actually like the L models better. No troublesome sun roofs and power seats to deal with, and the Escain seats hold up longer than leather. My only gripe is the steering wheel, rougher on the hands and not as thick. Oh, and the CD player, that's going the way of cassettes. I use the cassette converter for MP3's. However, for the collector and show, the LSi would be the better choice.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Registered SVX

To clarify, This IS NOT an L, it is a 92 LS.
If the trans fluid is original, it might be of concern, but even so, they usually last to about 70k on a 92 with the very early ones being a bit more unreliable. Change the fluid and filter and if original, change out the radiator and it will be fine I'm sure. As stated, this wouldn't be a car to buy for a new DD, this would be one that is a sunday driver if it's a sunny day and that's about it.
Price really doesn't seem too out of line considering it is a dealership and it still is extremely low miles.
And good luck getting an SVX to look like that for $4k. You can't remove wear and tear on the interior, ESPECIALLY the ecsaine door panels.
Also,you can tell from the Autocheck, that this car has been sitting either in that showroom, or hiding somewhere else as it had 36k miles back in 2000. This means that the paint and interior has not seen any UV rays for the last 11 years. Again, good luck with your "low mileage" $2k SVX and putting $4k into it and acheiving the same results.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:23 PM

70k on a 92 tranny is by no means the norm. Subaru revamped the original transmission based on the inordinate amount transmission failures. In addition to the filter upgrade there were internal changes to the transmission as well for all 94's and up. I by no means have statistical data on the subject but over my 10 + years of experience with these cars the original tranny fails prematurely ( < 50k), there will of course be exceptions (I do recall a member hear having 200k on the original tranny!).
Old 11-12-2011, 11:56 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
70k on a 92 tranny is by no means the norm. Subaru revamped the original transmission based on the inordinate amount transmission failures. In addition to the filter upgrade there were internal changes to the transmission as well for all 94's and up. I by no means have statistical data on the subject but over my 10 + years of experience with these cars the original tranny fails prematurely ( < 50k), there will of course be exceptions (I do recall a member hear having 200k on the original tranny!).
I have had many and seen many. Generally, and I have receipts and paperwork proving it, all of the 92's that I have paperwork had failures in the 60-90k range. Most being between 70-80k. Again the very early 92's had the bigger problems and would fail much sooner than the later 92's. Either way, change the fluid and filter and it'll be fine. Again, I don't see this being a driver in any case.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:23 AM

We'll just have to agree to disagree. But you do have me curious now in that you've noticed earlier 92's having more problems than later 92's. What's the month cut off? Why would subaru have made any changes to the new transmission within the very first year of production and then make another change 2 years later? Did subaru issue a preceding TSB on this? Or is this based on you referencing 92's, their particular VIN and corresponding mileage?

I do agree with you though this should not be a dd based solely on the shape its in. A fine example. However to suggest changing the fluid and filter and you'll be fine is reckless IMO. I would pick this SVX up in a heartbeat if I didn't feel strongly that i'd be spending another $4k on a transmission rebuild within the next 10k or so miles.

Last edited by SVXMAN2001; 11-13-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:31 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree. But you do have me curious now in that you've noticed later 92's having more problems than earlier 92's. Why would subaru have made any changes to the new transmission within the very first year of production and then make another change 2 years later? Do subaru issue a preceding TSB on this? Or is this based on you referencing 92's, their particular VIN and corresponding mileage?

I do agree with you though this should not be a dd based solely on the shape its in. A fine example. However to suggest changing the fluid and filter and you'll be fine is reckless IMO. I would pick this SVX up in a heartbeat if I didn't feel strongly that i'd be spending another $4k on a transmission rebuild within the next 10k or so miles.
I think you have me misunderstood, or perhaps worded it incorrectly? Early 92's have more issues, with later 92's being slightly better. At some point they realized the reverse clutch and clutch drum wasn't large enough so reverse would fail completely. That was updated within the first year of production by what I have read. There were also the bad torque converter linings which would clog the screen up. So earlier cars would also be on the road longer before potentially having the TSB done.
It's probably just the cars I've gotten. A car with paperwork at this point would mean a car was cared for. So perhaps they had transmission fluid changes done at well enough intervals to prevent the transmission from crapping out as quickly. There are a lot of variables of course
Old 11-13-2011, 12:51 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

^ Nate, your PM inbox is full.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
^ Nate, your PM inbox is full.
It's better now. You could always text or send a fbook message