View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Rotten exhaust flanges

There are a few options you could explore. When that happened to me I replaced the factory cat with a Magnaflow 2-1 piece (P/N 94007 I believe), welded to the factory mid-pipe and connected to the pre-cats with flexible tubing. I don't entirely recommend this approach as the pre-cat pipes aren't entirely circular making a seal quite difficult. Also the flex tubing isn't very robust and I had to replace it once or twice a year.

It may be possible to use some repair flanges, like these:

If there is enough sound metal remaining these could be welded on in place of the original flanges.

The most expensive but probably best/longest lasting solution would be to have an exhaust shop build up a replacement. They could add a resonator in while they're at it if you were so inclined. This is the path I went in the end to resolve the problem for good.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 05-30-2015 at 10:36 AM.