View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Semi-Hypothetical: What's the cheapest/fastest you could change rod bearings?

Disclaimer: I know this is "wrong". I don't care, please just answer the question.

The SVX spun a bearing. It's been getting there for a while, but it's gone now. Hideous knock on start until it's got oil pressure, and mild knock at all times. I was planning on rebuilding the engine next winter, but this has forced my hand a bit. The big problem is that I'm at school, 1000 miles from home. I have to get the car back, or scrap it here (not happening).

My options:

-u-Haul 10' truck and car hauler: ~$1,700 (We were going to rent a van anyway to get stuff back)
-Have a number of quotes sent to shipping companies. Last time I checked it would be around $1500.
-Rebuild the motor.

Now, the question I asked: Lets say you pulled the engine, stripped it down, pulled the wrist pins, split the block without actually removing the pistons, popped the rods, had the crank polished, and re-assebled with new rod bearings. What would I need? I have all the internal o-rings remaining in my gasket set, everything else is new from this past summer (~1500 miles on a head gasket job). New head gaskets, obviously, but other than that?

I know very well that's not the correct way to rebuild an engine, but could it be done to make a 1000 mile trip?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl