View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 09:05 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
the fact that the hoses remain cold indicates there is a flow problem... This needs to be addressed first.

1. Pull the timing covers and reinstall the crank pulley. Be sure the water pump is spinning and never hesitates or stops.

2. Was the new thermostat tested to be sure it was working well?? A pot of boiling water on the stove with a laser thermometer will help you see what temp the t-stat opens and closes at.

This should, more or less, address the flow issue unless there is something larger lodged in the coolant system somewhere.

Also, while you are investigating, Check the simple stuff... Now you had mentioned that the overflow was not overflowing. A good way to check it is to see if you can blow into the tube and get it to bubble in the tank... If yes... that doesn't mean there is gunk at the bottom of the tank keeping the coolant from returning to the radiator once cooled down... So you also need to suck on the tube to see if there is blockage in that direction as well... While the idea of drinking coolant is not pleasing to many... There are vaccum pumps available if you prefer just don't use more than 16psi to pressurize the hose and probably close to 10 inches in mercury of vaccum to try and vaccum test the overflow...

Check these things and report back.

Tom
Good advice.
I did replace the water pump, thermostat, thermostat gasket, both bypass hoses with new parts.
(As well as reseal the oil pump and cam seals and cam caps.)
If I did not replace the upper and lower hoses then they seemed to be in good shape.
When I checked the radiator cap it held 0 psi.
We replaced the rad cap just before you left with a brand new one.
The power steering pump that was leaking at the cap continued to leak for a week after you left, which tells me that the fluid is being pumped out by the rack.
As of our last conversation reguarding the overheating, and water temperature spikes...
I wonder if the old rad cap, not being resistant to pressure, allowed head gasket leaks to pass into the atmosphere, past the original cap, while a good cap traps the escaping pressures, allowing an air pocket?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link