View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: running on 4-5 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXpress94 View Post
well i just got home from work and tried starting the car with the MAF unplugged like icing said and it ran for a few seconds then died out. i started it with it plugged in and it ran then died when i unplugged it so i guess i can rule out the maf being the issue. ill try checking the coils and fuel injectors tomorrow morning before i go to work
If you unplug the MAF when the car is running, then of course it will die; the ECU stops seeing airflow, so stops injecting fuel. Starting up the car after unplugging the MAF means the ECU will ignore the MAF and use the other sensors and reference values to guess at the airflow. Like I said, reset the ECU and try again. You can't use this test to rule out the MAF as a problem, only confirm it (if the car runs better without the MAF than with it).
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album