View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Bushing removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Has any member successfully installed the aftermarket control arm bushings? Impressions on ride quality?

Is it possible to salvage the outer metal sleeve while using the aftermarket bushings? From what i've seen the aftermarket bushings don't come with an outer metal sleeve so the bushing itself will rest against the control arm...wouldn't this decrease rigidity of the part?

If pressing out, what size socket would you suggest. Of course you would press against the outer sleeve, correct?
The control arm bushings are too big to use a socket. You'd need some tools like this to hold the control arm: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6265_200416265

and some round pieces of metal to put against the bushing to push it out.

The outer metal sleeve is quite thin - not something to be worried about. The Polish bushings are much harder than the rubber that's in there.

I have given my impressions of the control arm bushings several times in several threads, but basically, it will make the front suspension feel "tighter" and the steering feel more controlled and precise. The yellow ones, which are the firmer ones. Someone else posted before that they thought the red ones were too soft. The yellow ones feel great, no extra NVH.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album