View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: steering rack gear ratio change

I've given this a bit of thought at well. The steering "reducers" all scare me a bit, I don't want my car's steering going through a component that might not be up to the task.

I have a feeling that an STi rack could be made to work. It would take custom mounts to do it, but if the tie rod thread and steering input spline matches ours then we could conceivably make it work. Google tells me that the SVX has a front track width of 59.1” while the ’05 STi (and I suspect this applies to all 05-07 STi’s) is 58.9. Track width isn’t the whole story, knuckle design, bearing offset and even alignment affect that number, but I suspect they’re close enough that the adjustment in the tie rods can accommodate.

Functionally I don’t really know what to expect though. Another quick Google search got me 1200 PSI as an operating pressure for the STi pump. I’m not sure what the SVX operates at, or exactly how the variable assist works, so I don’t know what the impact would be of plugging SVX hydraulics into an STi rack. Too heavy? Too light? Just bad? CEL from losing the rack wiring?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl