View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Prototype Spoiler

I have looked into this some (including PMs back and forth with Elliott) and here are my conclusions:

1 you need a pearl white or maybe silver car and a US, not JDM style wing.

2 and a really good body shop to do the work.

3 you need to get the spoiler, shave off some of the base of it so that it has a better angle of attack (if you don't it will angle downward at the back, creating lift instead of downforce and looking silly), and slide it back 1.5 to 2 inches (elliott went too far back).

4 you need to delete the antenna and add some material to the sail panels so that the tips of the spoiler start way up there.

5 use lots of whatever kind of filler to smooth it out.

6 the spoiler is hollow, you have to make holes somewhere for air to escape otherwise when it heats up the spoiler might pop.

7 you can actually put an antenna inside the spoiler or somewhere else inside the trunklid. They are fiberglass, so you should still get reception just fine.

8 bonus points for relocating the middle brake light from the trunklid to the spoiler. might as well while you're at it, right?

9 If done right, the sail panels and trunk should be able to be removed and replaced and the trunk should be able to open and close freely just like stock. Plug and play
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album