View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 04:59 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Not again! Tick tick tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
I finally got my SVX to a trans shop. They asked me a couple of questions about the Trans swap. Maybe someone here can help me out.
1) Are the dowels different sizes from the original trans to the Legacy trans? Do they need to be changed?
2) Is the Converter different from the original trans to the Legacy trans? Does it need to be changed?
They were asking me those questions because they can't understand why a new flex plate would crack in less than a year.
They did say my differential bearing cups are leaking and the O-rings need replacing. They were unable to remove them because they were damaged from the previous mechanic. He said they need to be cracked to be removed while the Trans is out. Does this sound correct?
The dowels are the same.
And you can use an SVX torque converter with any 4EAT automatic transmission.
HOWEVER, you CAN NOT use a Legacy torque converter with a SVX transmission!

"They did say my differential bearing cups are leaking and the O-rings need replacing. They were unable to remove them because they were damaged from the previous mechanic. He said they need to be cracked to be removed while the Trans is out."
I am not sure how to respond to THAT!

Generally leaking O-Rings, in a system NOT under pressure, would only seep.
At $11.00 a quart for Mobil1 fully synthetic, it would take you 100 years to spend the money that they want for this repair.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link